The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Parliament to debate reclassification of pet theft

JoanneF

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As it stands, the law classifies the theft of a pet as the same as the theft of a tv or other possession. This obviously takes no account of the emotional distress at the loss of a pet - completely different from the loss of an inanimate object. Also, sentencing (if the perpetrator is even caught) is pitifully low.

A petition to classify pet theft as a specific and separate crime has just received enough signatures to be debated in parliament.

That’s great to hear!

All the sentencing related to animals is too low :(

I watched a program about the RSPCA raiding a puppy selling group.
They said it was organised just like it was drugs - they had different phones for different breeds, fake papers, a white board with all the money made, all the puppies out back in separate rooms etc

But the sentencing cannot go over 2 years in prison max and I’ve never heard of that actually ever happening! But if it was drugs they were selling then it could be 20 odd years!

Years ago I remember a case where a womans dog was either stolen or killed by robbers and the insurence offered a pay out with 'depreciation value' because the dog was a bit older...As if the poor dog was an old tv or something.

There's also the emotional distress to the dog (or other animal) of course - for many dogs, theft would amount to animal cruelty which has (or will, I think) a maximum sentence of 5 years. I say 'many dogs' because there are those that will happily adjust if treated with kindness. But if you're heartless enough to steal a pet you're unlikely to treat it with kindness.

As for puppy farmers - 5 years for each breeding dog/puppy up to a maximum of 100 years not served concurrently sounds about right.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back