The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Parliament to debate reclassification of pet theft

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by JoanneF, Jun 13, 2018.

1. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

As it stands, the law classifies the theft of a pet as the same as the theft of a tv or other possession. This obviously takes no account of the emotional distress at the loss of a pet - completely different from the loss of an inanimate object. Also, sentencing (if the perpetrator is even caught) is pitifully low.

A petition to classify pet theft as a specific and separate crime has just received enough signatures to be debated in parliament.

2. Josie

Josie Administrator Administrator Registered

That’s great to hear!

All the sentencing related to animals is too low :(

I watched a program about the RSPCA raiding a puppy selling group.
    They said it was organised just like it was drugs - they had different phones for different breeds, fake papers, a white board with all the money made, all the puppies out back in separate rooms etc

But the sentencing cannot go over 2 years in prison max and I’ve never heard of that actually ever happening! But if it was drugs they were selling then it could be 20 odd years!

3. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

Years ago I remember a case where a womans dog was either stolen or killed by robbers and the insurence offered a pay out with 'depreciation value' because the dog was a bit older...As if the poor dog was an old tv or something.

leashedForLife likes this.
  4. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

There's also the emotional distress to the dog (or other animal) of course - for many dogs, theft would amount to animal cruelty which has (or will, I think) a maximum sentence of 5 years. I say 'many dogs' because there are those that will happily adjust if treated with kindness. But if you're heartless enough to steal a pet you're unlikely to treat it with kindness.

As for puppy farmers - 5 years for each breeding dog/puppy up to a maximum of 100 years not served concurrently sounds about right.

5. arealhuman

arealhuman Well-Known Member Registered

Let's hope they have a sensible debate resulting in punishments fitting the crime for once.

leashedForLife and Dinky Dillon like this.
  6. Dinky Dillon

Dinky Dillon Member Registered

Lets hope just for once Parliament get it right and do the right thing.

One can only hope!