The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pedagree Papers

kathyb1984

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, i have recently bought my first whippet puppy Joey. He is amazing and so much fun. However when i bought joey the breeder said they would send his kc papers in the post. Its been 5 months and I still have not recieved any papers! I have made phone calls and sent emails but had no reply! Does any one know if there is another way i can get his kc papers? Many thanks Kathy and Joey x

Last edited by a moderator:
have to say that dont sound to good do you have their address was it a long way from you is it possible for you to go there ?

I think I would contact the Kennel Club and find out if he has actually been registered!

Who knows they may be able to offer you some advice.

I know of people still trying to get papers after 4 years, sometimes it’s a way of asking for more money. :angry:

The breeder should have given you his KC papers when you took the puppy ...have to admit it seems unlikely you will get them now, as only the breeder can get them and will need to sign them to say ownership has been transferred :unsure:

That said, it took nearly 2 years to get KC papers for two of mine :wacko:

wE HAD PROBLEMS WITH GETTTING THR PAPERS FOR OUR SPANIEL IT TURNED OUT THE BREEDER DID NOT SEND THE PAPERS OF UNTIL HE HAD THE FULL LITTER SOLD AND SOME OF THEM DID NOT GO UNTIL 12 WEEKS HE WAS LETTING PEOPLE PICK THE NAMES WE WORRIED AND WORRIED ABOUT IT CALLED AT HIS HOUSE AND THOUGHT WE WERE RIPPED OF BUT BWE GOT THEM AT 6 MOUNTHS MY ADVICE IS NOT TO PANIC IF IN ANY DOUGHT ASK THE BREEDER FOR THE KC REG AND DAME AND SIRE THEN CHECK WITH THE KENNAL CLUB THEY HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE BIRTH OF THE LITTER

Untitled.jpg

Thanks everyone, luckly they dont live too far away so i may pop ova there. i will keep you informed. kathy and Joey ;)

ok so finally got through to the owner and she is now saying that because the mum was under a year the puppies cant be registered! does anyone know if this is true?

Perfectly true..... :thumbsup: a bitch should certainly not be bred before the age of 1 year.....

read below......

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/473

(a) The bitch has already whelped six litters, or

b) The bitch was under a year old at the date of mating, or

c) The bitch has already reached the age of eight years at the date of whelping, or

d) Offspring of any mating between father and daughter, mother and son or brother and sister, save in exceptional circumstance, for scientifically proven welfare reasons.)

ok so finally got through to the owner and she is now saying that because the mum was under a year the puppies cant be registered! does anyone know if this is true?
That is really sad to hear that bitches are being bred from at such a tender age, just a pup herself :(

I had no idea the mum was so young when we bought him :( The breeder never said and to be honest I was a little naive when I bought him! Didn't know the right questions to ask. Will certainly learn from my mistakes. Its such a shame Joey is so beautiful I would have liked to shown him or raced him!

You still should not have been led to believe the registration papers would be sent on.

Presumably the price you paid reflected the fact that you paid for a pedigree puppy registered with the kennel club

At least you sound like it wont affect your love for Joey :thumbsup:

Unfortunatly it does but to be honest i would pay it again for him. He really is so much fun and brought me so much happiness in only a few months and you cant put a price on that! Thank you all for all your help and advice x

1.jpg

It sounds like you won't enjoy him any less, he is a beautiful pup. Maybe you could join a club to try lure racing or agility in the future? There's lots of fun to be had with him, pedigree papers or not. :luck:

I had no idea the mum was so young when we bought him :( The breeder never said and to be honest I was a little naive when I bought him! Didn't know the right questions to ask. Will certainly learn from my mistakes. Its such a shame Joey is so beautiful I would have liked to shown him or raced him!

You can still race him without papers :thumbsup:

What a shame about papers. This puppy is so beautiful a bit of paper doesn't change that. Good luck with Joey and non ped racing is still an option.

He is lovely. As you say, there are some things worth more than money.

Personally, I would ask the breeder for a part- refund if you paid full price expecting papers.

You cannot show him without them.

His poor mother, just a puppy herself. These people should not get away with this.

Is it not possible to report these people to the kennel club?

No reflection on yourself, you did not know.

I know it is not about the money and you are happy with little Joey but the breeder should not get away with dishonesty and what she did to Joey's Mum. The pocket is usually a good rap on the nuckles.

your pup has absolutely beautiful colour and markings (I'd love to have a similarly coloured whippet)

The breeder either lied to you or did not realise at the time that they were not going to be able to register the pups. I do think they should make some recompense for misleading you! (and of course they shouldn't have let such a young bitch breed)

There are some shows you can go to such as match shows, companion dog shows, lurcher/sighthound/working or sporting whippet shows - often associated with game fairs. Usually you just enter these shows on the day of the event and you don't need papers. The events for sighthounds (includes lurchers and whippets) often have racing or lure coursing. Often non-pedigree whippet clubs have fun races for pedigree whippets, who are slower than non-peds specifically bred for racing, and they won't be fussy about pedigrees. Regarding racing, it may help if you have your dog's 5-generation pedigree but you will still be limited in what races you can enter if the dog is not kc registered. I think a pedigree club would at least let you train and trial your dog so you can have some fun running him even if he doesn't compete in official races.

Unfortunatly it does but to be honest i would pay it again for him. He really is so much fun and brought me so much happiness in only a few months and you cant put a price on that! Thank you all for all your help and advice x
View attachment 71076

I meant to say....he is beautiful :wub: and I dont think Id care if I had papers or not...but it is a shame if you wanted to register him and especially

the breeders for misleading you.

I hope you enjoy him, life is so short...and whippets help you make the most of life... :huggles:

Thank you all for all your lovely comments and all your help and advice. I'm sure as Joey gets older he will enjoy a few races for fun. I am going to try and get a part refund for Joey and also contact the KC after christmas just to make them aware that a litter of pups have been breed from such a young bitch. I will keep you all updated. Thank you again.

7.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back