The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pet Insurance

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I pay £10.40 a month with NO excess with M& S , Ive just put in a claim for Buffee of £295.95 for a few stitches ( out of hours , well it wasnt actually it was 6.15pm and they said it would take them over hours if I took her to my normal vets so I had to go out of hours :rant: which has a start fee of £65.00 for the pleasure , (w00t) needles to say i have now changed vets ;)

anyhow M& S have paid up prompt , and in full :cheers: Cant say fairer than that :cheers:

clairej810 said:
I used Petplan for years and the premiums and excesses were breaking the bank!  I changed to M&S and they are much cheaper and still do life cover, obviously they don't cover pre-existing conditions so I couldn't insure my diabetic cat with them but my other cat and 2 gh's are with M&S now.
With regard to the cost of drugs from the vet - has anyone tried Vet Medic, www.vet-medic.com , they are quite a lot cheaper and do prescription diets as well.  They were recommended to me by Oscars pet food, all you have to do is ask for a prescription from your vet.  Also vet's apparently can't charge for writing a prescription from the end of October (don't know how accurate that is though.)

That is very true

, Vets for now . cannot charge for prescriptions , :cheers:

Mayzee is on vivitonin and from the vet it was costing me £42.00 a month , getting them from Vet medic or of the internett I am paying £15.00 :eek: I mentioned it to my vet and he said he has to get them from a `said` supplier , yeh right . I recently changed vets ( surprise , surprise) and hes charging me £15.00 and no consultaion fee for Mayzee either ( Andrew charged £16.00 every 3 months to see Mayzee :rant:

Wendy see if you can get your stuff for Saffie off the `net ` :cheers:

i read on one of these pet medicine sites that they pay EXACTLY the same prices as the vets,its just that they charge us less for the medicines!makes me so angry that some vets are ripping us off big time with their overcharging.must say my vets prices are extremely reasonable.having said that he never sees my dogs from one year to the next!(i think i ought to touch wood here now after saying that!) :sweating: :unsure:

m&s have been fab for my Flo, they have paid £400 for the hip operation, £100 for meds and consults, and a further £150 for hydrotherapy- complementary treatment! i pay £8.34 a month, no excess!!!!!

JAX said:
clairej810 said:
I used Petplan for years and the premiums and excesses were breaking the bank!  I changed to M&S and they are much cheaper and still do life cover, obviously they don't cover pre-existing conditions so I couldn't insure my diabetic cat with them but my other cat and 2 gh's are with M&S now.
With regard to the cost of drugs from the vet - has anyone tried Vet Medic, www.vet-medic.com , they are quite a lot cheaper and do prescription diets as well.  They were recommended to me by Oscars pet food, all you have to do is ask for a prescription from your vet.  Also vet's apparently can't charge for writing a prescription from the end of October (don't know how accurate that is though.)

That is very true

, Vets for now . cannot charge for prescriptions , :cheers:

Mayzee is on vivitonin and from the vet it was costing me £42.00 a month , getting them from Vet medic or of the internett I am paying £15.00 :eek: I mentioned it to my vet and he said he has to get them from a `said` supplier , yeh right . I recently changed vets ( surprise , surprise) and hes charging me £15.00 and no consultaion fee for Mayzee either ( Andrew charged £16.00 every 3 months to see Mayzee :rant:

Wendy see if you can get your stuff for Saffie off the `net ` :cheers:

Thanks Jax - it's just antihistamines, so we get it cheap enough, but will file this site away for future ref :D

Wendy

Just insured our 4 month pup Kiah with M&S - good policy and not over expensive - as others have said.

Costs £10.66 per month - NO EXCESS which costs only about 40p per month more than a £50 excess policy :thumbsup:

Good value policy IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been pondering ~Helen~ being on commission :clown: I changed to M&S from Pet Plan when i looked at the threads about insurance on k9 a while ago - more than happy with M&S policy and premiums. :thumbsup:

Ponder was...Given the amount of members here, it gives M&S a lot of positive free advertising ;) got to be worth the asking for either a small donation to the site per policy or sponsorship of an event surely? :thumbsup: Just a thought :D

should you get dog your dog insured?

read my post in whippet discussion about my poor Sunny being really ill at the moment

then add that to the £850 getting him diagnosed 3 months ago - I'd say YES!

Steve - M&S took out too many monthly payments for me too - however I didn't notice for a few months :oops: Anyway as soon as I rang and told them, a cheque was in the post in a few days - no probs. So it seems they just don't like you very much!! :lol: Seriously though I hope it sorts out and they get their act together.

I have found that M&S have paid out for numerous incidents with my 2 with no problems at all :D

Hi there,

I can see that many people have good experience with M&S...We have pet insurance through M&S as well..good policy...

Only the problem I have now, we have received renewal letter from them and the price went up to £ 280/year (£100 more than last year!)...Its seem to be too much...We called them and they said they were some changes in the policy therefore the price went up...but I think it is far too much! (...and just to mention that we did not have any claims within last year.) I do not understand why they have increased our premium so much...?!

Any of you have the same experience with M&S insurance regarding renewals?

m.

maja said:
Hi there,
I can see that many people have good experience with M&S...We have pet insurance through M&S as well..good policy...

Only  the problem I have now, we have received renewal letter from them and the price went up to £ 280/year  (£100 more than last year!)...Its seem to be too much...We called them and they said they were some changes in the policy therefore the price went up...but I think it is far too much! (...and just to mention that we did not have any claims within last year.) I do not understand why they have increased our premium so much...?!

m.

It goes up when your pet reaches a certain age I think you'll find :thumbsup:

Thats what I thought but we are still in same age group as last year...0 - 4 years...

I tried to go on-line to get the quote, and I got the same price as last year...however the renewal letter states completelly different price...bit weird...!

Joanna said:
maja said:
Hi there,

Only  the problem I have now, we have received renewal letter from them and the price went up to £ 280/year  (£100 more than last year!)...Its seem to be too much...We called them and they said they were some changes in the policy therefore the price went up...but I think it is far too much! (...and just to mention that we did not have any claims within last year.) I do not understand why they have increased our premium so much...?!

m.

I do think that is very expensive. It is over £23 per month.

NFU (National Farmers Union) charge me for two dogs £29.69 per month. I had a claim back in 2004 for a virus and a claim just recently. Despite my previous claim I have had no major increases or exclusions.

I think if it was me I would be shopping around for other quotes. At least you have got something to compare it to then and can take your choice.

where with direct line and i pay 8.99 for the whippets each and molly who is 9 we pay 10.50,with 65.00 excess,im happy

maja said:

Thats what I thought but we are still in same age group as last year...0 - 4 years...

I tried to go on-line to get the quote, and I got the same price as last year...however the renewal letter states completelly different price...bit weird...!

Sounds like a mistake to me :(

Dij is with M&S and i opted for a slightly cheaper rate with a £50 excess (or thereabouts)

when i had to claim last year after he sliced his pad on glass, they sent a cheque for the full amount with a note saying 'we've decided not to charge you the excess on this claim!'

how often does stuff like that happen???

Joanna said:
maja said:

Sounds like a mistake to me :(

Sounds like a mistake to me too. My renewal was the exact same price as the year before. I'd get them to investigate it - also tell them the quote you're getting online is the same as you're paying now.

Wendy

maja said:

If thats the case , id be inclined to cancel policy and start a fresh with a new one :- "

Hi,

I would recommend M&S insurance to anyone, I have four whippets insured costing £109 per year per dog and NO EXCESS to pay. You can do it on line and say £10 plus if you use your M&S card you get another 5% off.

Every bill I have put it has been paid without any fuss. They even paid £750 towards a new carpet that had to be replaced because one of them knock a candle over it.

Lots of my friends have also taken this policy out and said it has been great, the form on the line is dead simple to fill it.

I hope this helps.

Jenny

Right! :) Well, based on all the recommendations on here ;) I have now taken out M&S insurance for my 2 whipsters.

I think it's really more for the peace of mind than anything else ... they're both healthy wee chaps, but you just never know ...

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations everyone, I've read all this thread (and previous ones about M&S pet insurance) and decided to go for it.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back