The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Please help... At my wits end!!

Just wondering if it's worth getting some fake grass in the garden to encourage him to go. It's all paved atm and I'm wondering if that's what's discouraging him from weeing out there, I know our old dog preferred weeing on grass to concrete. He will very occasionally wee on the pavement on a walk though so I don't know if it is that.
Also how often do puppies generally poo and wee? I've only owned an adult dog previously so I don't know what's normal for a puppy. He seems to go ALOT

Just wondering if it's worth getting some fake grass in the garden to encourage him to go. It's all paved atm and I'm wondering if that's what's discouraging him from weeing out there, I know our old dog preferred weeing on grass to concrete. He will very occasionally wee on the pavement on a walk though so I don't know if it is that.
Also how often do puppies generally poo and wee? I've only owned an adult dog previously so I don't know what's normal for a puppy. He seems to go ALOT
yeah fake grass or you can buy a patch of grass from a garden centre.

Paving could well be a big part of the problem. My dog doesn't like weeing and pooing on it at all. I should also mention that he wouldn't poo on fake grass either when we stayed in a holiday cottage that had it - though most dogs are fine with it.

How many times a day does he poo?

I just give Jasper chicken carcasses, @Violet Turner He's not great at digesting bone so can't cope with denser bones - I can't even give him free-range carcasses. And as he's a food guarder, I can't give him more long-lasting meaty bones. Chicken wings would be good for a smaller dog.

No, as I said in my post they're chicken. But this is off topic as it's specific to him and his digestion.

You could be on to something with the concrete USER=91180]@Mrs S[/USER] . Some dogs don't like the splashback!

You could be on to something with the concrete USER=91180]@Mrs S[/USER] . Some dogs don't like the splashback!
Yeah I thought that, being small he is pretty low to the ground too. Not sure there's anyway we could get real turf out in the garden so might need to try the fake stuff

You could maybe try a large low sandpit or similar filled with clean earth? You could then try growing grass in that... or putting fake grass over the top once he's decided that's the place to go. I'm not sure how well this would work when it's rainy and the earth turns into a mudbath though....

I have also heard of people getting or making a shallow wooden box (as big as possible) with compost and a turf surface - this works well in flats with balconies where it would take too long to get a puppy outside.

You could maybe try a large low sandpit or similar filled with clean earth? You could then try growing grass in that... or putting fake grass over the top once he's decided that's the place to go. I'm not sure how well this would work when it's rainy and the earth turns into a mudbath though....
go to your garden centre and look for a small piece of grass that might help...

Harri likes grass but he'll also go on that bark mulch stuff they sell to stop weeds in flower beds if there is no grass available. He really doesn't like the "splashback" so it needs to be an absorbent surface

Getting a piece of turf from a garden centre is a great idea:) But those Piddle Patches, @Violet Turner - £27.95 a week?:eek:
we used piddle patch for coming home from Spain, as the ferry isn't great for wee's and poo's and we still get it delivered each month its such good quality and i would recommend to anyone! @JudyN

Oh wow definitely like the idea of a sandbox. Basically like a massive litter tray. Piddle patch looks great but a bit pricey. I'll have a go at making my own though... Absolute genius idea!!

Oh wow definitely like the idea of a sandbox. Basically like a massive litter tray. Piddle patch looks great but a bit pricey. I'll have a go at making my own though... Absolute genius idea!!
you could buy grass seeds.

Oh and he poos about 4 times a day and wees 7-10 times a day. Is that normal for a pup of his age?

Oh and he poos about 4 times a day and wees 7-10 times a day. Is that normal for a pup of his age?
yeah very normal unless he never used to do a poo or wee that much! :)

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back