The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Please help me before my husband gets rid of Sid, our new dog.

Bear in mind when going back to basics, that this isn't really about training. It's about taking the pressure off Sid completely, and giving him a chance to totally relax in a stress-free environment - which will mean managing him and Remi, and also not having arguments. My sighthound would get quite stressed if my husband and I argued... or even if we just discussed politics and ranted at the government!

It is possible to train a dog to bark or ring a bell when they need to go outside, as some will simply stand silently by the door even if you're at the other end of the house.

Also, remember that Remi also deserves a stress-free life, so if it doesn't work out, it really is better, for both of them, that Sid is rehomed. This isn't giving up, it's doing what is best for them.

Good luck - I really hope it does work out.

As a dog rescuer myself, 3-6 months to get settled is very ambitious, especially given the circumstances you've described. Slow, patient and empathic measures are required. Your husband is, unfortunately, making things worse. You'll need to put the work in as I'm sure you're aware, but the reward will be fantastic for you, your dogs, and your husband. who sounds as though he needs training more than your four legged friends.

I do also really hope things settle and have everything crossed for you all... please do keep us posted. It would be lovely if your husband could see just how passionate you are about helping Sid and not wanting to give up on him and give you the support you need. Dogs are so sensitive to atmospheres, even if there are no raised voices... I suppose there is the option of rehoming the husband:rolleyes:(joking!!)

Hey everyone.

So Yesterday went super well. No more accidents in the house as we been letting him out every hour and this seemed to also reduce the barking. I said to my husband that I think because he was left outside/to his own devices, being outside more than inside is/was all he ever knew so is like a 'comfort' for him formed from a unfortunate event.

My husband has been open to going back to basics with Sid, he even said that even though at first he was angry, he had some time to think and it's allowed the husband to 'do a clean slate' and work from the group up with Sid. He actually took part in training sid himself and took so much joy in it. He's alot more...loving and kind to Sid.

There was literally no barking yesterday at all (minus when we had to delay dinner but thats pretty fair to be honest)

His very own bed arrived, safe to say he likes it , even barks at Remi when Remi's sat on it.
449053814_1475072829881231_7102223583724386925_n.jpg

Today we're carrying on what we did yesterday, with success and less barking.
No accidents in the house so far.
Playing much more nicely with Remi.
No arguments today with the Mr (as yet, hopefully none)
Everyone = happy

I also forgot to point out that we have toilet-training bells, we already had them for Remi (as I'm hard of hearing and couldn't hear Remi jingle the back door keys) Sid's picking up how to use them from Remi & i jingle them before letting them out for a toilet.

I'm hoping this is showing the husband that Sid just needs some extra TLC

Wonderful! I think sometimes when you adopt a dog who has many struggles, it can all get a bit overwhelming for everyone...really glad to hear your husband has had a re set too!

my dog used to poo indoors put a dog flap in took a while for him to use it, use to stand at the back door and pushed it open, took a while but solved the problem.

Wow, things may be turning around, that's awesome.
I was going to suggest neutering the husband, but looks like this may not be necessary after all :cool:
Jokes aside - avoid human arguments, they really throw sensitive dogs off their tracks...

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back