The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Edward

*Many writers have written books that discussed canine coat color genetics. The best known of these books is by Little, the most recent that I have read is by Malcolm Willis. Because canine coat color genetics is an area of knowledge that is only partially understood NONE of the published accounts has proposed a completely correct genetic system for dog coat colors.

It is also most important to understand that there is a major difference between the appearance of an animal (called its phenotype) and its genetic makeup (called its genotype). Most commonly encountered discussions of canine coat color are basically phenotypic, as in most cases we can only describe the colors that we see in the dog in front of us.*quote

just been on a site that discusses canine coat colour genetics.im not too well up on this as i only got as far as a level biology,but the above seems a pretty safe statement

Vicky said:
(w00t) You mean you'd want him back if he got lost? :- "  Only kidding :lol:
Poor Ed, doesn't look right bothered by it though  :D

That's Elzi's brother by the way if anyone's interested  :thumbsup:

I didn't realize that. Does he have the tail? :D

He is lovely.

Michelle/Tony/Vicky what is a blue/black parti? (Do you know how much of a problem it has always been to think of Michelle and Vicky without thinking of Allo, Allo. :D )

I can feel Bean's micro chip too btw that was put in 6 years ago. Not much use if it can be found that easily and dug out by the wrong people. :(

Their dad was black/white parti

This is him (my ziggy is the spit!)

Tony Taylor said:
Seraphina said:
If Edward's nose was originally dark there is a possibility that the depigmantation is caused by one of several ailments and not by the liver gene.  There is also a condition called "winter nose" where perfectly normal black nose fades out in winter - nothing to worry about. :)
He was born with a pale nose as was one of his sisters. He also has pale eye lids and lips (as does his sister and mother). It's inconceivable that it isn't caused by the d alle

Well, actually the d allele is the blue dilution, the liver is b. In that case he is most probably liver :)

But that means that his black father must be also carrying the b allele. Are the parents related?

Seraphina said:
Tony Taylor said:
Seraphina said:
If Edward's nose was originally dark there is a possibility that the depigmantation is caused by one of several ailments and not by the liver gene.  There is also a condition called "winter nose" where perfectly normal black nose fades out in winter - nothing to worry about. :)
He was born with a pale nose as was one of his sisters. He also has pale eye lids and lips (as does his sister and mother). It's inconceivable that it isn't caused by the d alle

Well, actually the d allele is the blue dilution, the liver is b. In that case he is most probably liver :)

But that means that his black father must be also carrying the b allele. Are the parents related?

The parents were related - the sire of their father was litter brother to the sire of their mother.

Vicky said:

The parents were related - the sire of their father was litter brother to the sire of their mother.

That makes it lot more likely, it means that either a mutation of the B to b occured few generations back and has been carried through, or there ws some liver breed introduced into the Whippet line (cirneco del etna, pharao hound or even ibizian hound) some generations back.

kris said:
*Many writers have written books that discussed canine coat color genetics. The best known of these books is by Little, the most recent that I have read is by Malcolm Willis. Because canine coat color genetics is an area of knowledge that is only partially understood NONE of the published accounts has proposed a completely correct genetic system for dog coat colors.

Clarence Little's Inheritance of Coat Colour in Dogs, is the book from which I learned the basics of colour genetics some 30 years ago, and then i kept up with the new discoveries and theories as they come up.. You are right we are still unsure about many aspects, however I think the b and d alleles, liver and blue dilutions are in no way contraversial. They are both simple recessives. :)

Maggie had been chipped before we had her back and when she 2ent tolive with Toby's mum and her family I showed them were her chip was you could feel it easily between her shoulder blades slightly to one side of her spine

Seraphina said:
Vicky said:

That makes it lot more likely, it means that either a mutation of the B to b occured few generations back and has been carried through, or there ws some liver breed introduced into the Whippet line (cirneco del etna, pharao hound or even ibizian hound) some generations back.

I don't see why a mutation needs to have occurred the b alle for liver ( :oops: ) has always been present in whippets. The pedigree of both dogs is known for many generations and there is no pharao hound etc in the breeding as far back as we can go. The b alle is found in various terrier breeds, such as staffordshires and fell types which are likely to be part of the genisis of the whippet as a breed or "type"; It's also found in ghds.

I suspect the b alle is present in KC reg dogs as well but because it's an unpopular colour in the show ring it will have been bred out by selection against it and hence it's frequency in the population is low and hence the chances of bb occuring are very small. As far as racing is concerned a good dog can't be a bad colour so there's no discrimination against them on the basis of colour.

>I suspect the b alle is present in KC reg dogs as well but because it's an unpopular colour in the show ring it will have been bred out by selection against it and hence it's frequency in the population is low and hence the chances of bb occuring are very small. As far as racing is concerned a good dog can't be a bad colour so there's no discrimination against them on the basis of colour.

One of the very nice things about going racing (peddies) is the high proportion of blacks that you see. Very good blacks too none of this fawn shading that you see on the shoulders and sometimes in other places on many of the show bred blacks. That is if you are at a show and actually get to see a black dog. Also of course there are some beautifully marked black and white partis racing which are even more rarely seen around the show ring.

There are also a lot of what some call 'dirty' or 'smutty' fawns. ie fawns with a lot of black hairs in their coats. I've seen them described as grizzles on rescue websites. :)

I can't remember having seen a liver one but I haven't been racing for that long. Judy might have?

ed has'nt inherited "THE" tail.

As you can tell i know bu*ger all about colour genetics (must have missed that biology lesson :- " )

as tony had mentioned edward is a true liver whip (nose, mouth & eyes) as you can see in a close up piccie.

btw...the hideous sofa is'nt mine :oops:

P101025_copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He is the most stunning colour. I'm with you Michelle as soon as alleles and such things are mentioned my eyes glaze over and this happens. -_- As much as I try and I have tried I can't get the information to stick in my brain.

I've never seen a liver KC reg. whippet has anyone else ?

Judy said:
I've never seen a liver KC reg. whippet has anyone else ?

Never seen a KC reg Whippet of this colouring..........BUT I have seen a pedigree racing Greyhound (litter brother to 1 I worked with) ......who was either a solid liver or chocolate (depending on who saw him :- " ) .......And this was out of the great Sandman x Carker Lady 8)

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back