The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Fern

BeeJay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Yesterday as I was out walking some of the dogs Bean and Fern took off after something. By the time that I'd got to where they'd left the track they weren't in sight. I called and called but nothing. Then I heard in the distance the sound of a car braking hard, a thud and a dog screaming. :(

Tally deerhound freaked at the sound but I caught him and put him on the lead and began to run up the track towards the road. I dunno why but I thought that it was Bean who'd been hit. Before I got very far Fern turned up. I could see the blood on her legs and that she was shaking. She was obviously in pain.

I thought about carrying on towards the road but despite being on her feet and able to move she wasn't in any fit state to go that way and then go back to the car which was a mile + back down the track. I decided to try to get her and Tally back to the car. Praying that Bean was/would be okay.

Some while later Bean turned up and apart from a tiny wound is okay. Poor Fern was in so much pain that she could barely walk. But I couldn't manage her and then other two. So I decided to get back to the car as fast as I could and if she collapsed on the way I'd dump the dogs in the car and go back for her and carry her if I could to the car. She was holding her head at an odd angle and was staggering about a bit.

She made it and when she got to the car she managed to scramble into it. I took her off to the vet. They kept her in over night as there was some concern over the shape of her rib cage.

I checked the road last night and there is no sign of any accident so I'm hoping that the car and the occupants are okay.

She's back home now. Very sore, bruised and with lots of small cuts all over her. She's had one stitched on the side of her wrist. She's had a big bowl of chicken and has taken herself back off to bed in a crate. Apart from moving very carefully as she is in obvious pain she's okay. Another of her lives used up.

Poor you .......but really .....A very lucky Fern ........I bet you were worried to death .......Hope she's feeling less sore soon :flowers: ..........I hear the Radox muscle soak bath salts work wonders ..........

Hi Bj,

Sorry to hear about Fern, hope she recovers quickly.

Whew! what a scare for you! Glad to hear that she's doing OK :luck:

Strike Whippets said:
Poor you .......but really .....A very lucky Fern ........I bet you were worried to death .......Hope she's feeling less sore soon :flowers: ..........I hear the Radox muscle soak bath salts work wonders ..........
Thanks Hannah. I'm lucky that whoever was driving they couldn't have been going very fast when they hit her. Just before they took off I was thinking what a beautiful autumn day it was with the sun shining down on us and the whole place to ourselves. :( I reckon that it was a fox that they put up as there weren't any deer prints anywhere around. Rabbit or squirrel then they wouldn't have gone so far. :(

Lucky too that Tally didn't go with them. Luckily he doesn't do going off the tracks and into the woods. One benefit of him only running in a straight line. :b

No more walks in that place with the dogs off lead. Pity 'cause it's a beautiful place.

Thanks Mark and EJW. Hopefully the Metacam will keep most the soreness at bay.

I'm giving her Injury 30 which is a homeopathic blend. Everytime I stroke her I find another little hole. I hated having to make her walk back. It seemed so cruel.

a friend of mine who had a weimaraner was out walking the dogs when her lead broke and the dog dashed across a busy A road.poor dog was hit by a car doing about 70 mph and was killed instantly.the driver of the car sued her for damages to his car and it cost her quite a bit of money on top of losing her poor dog.im so glad fern is ok,hope she recovers quickly.must have been an awful moment when you heard the car thud and the dog screaming. :(

OMG,what a horrible scare for you :( ,& thank goodness Fern will be o.k.

sending you all positive thoughts :huggles: :huggles:

My worst nightmare is a car hitting my dogs.............I do hope Fern is feeling less sore today...She is still with you, and must be blessed. Not her time :thumbsup:

:( Hoping poor Fern soon recovers, she's very lucky as you say, that the car wasn't going any faster, what a sickening event, :huggles: :* to all in your house :luck:

God thats awful. One of mine was hit by a car when she was a pup (shes ok tho).

So glad that she seems to be ok :sweating: Lots of healing thoughts for fern x

Thanks all. :thumbsup: Fern is asleep in the bedroom having had a huge bowl of chicken. She normally sits and waits for food and dog treats to come to her. But having been starved for a day seems to have changed all of that. She positively demanded to be fed. So she can't be feeling all that bad.

The vet tried to show me a huge bruise just behind her right front leg going down her front leg and onto her stomach where there was a small wound. It was there this morning by this evening it was just around the wound site and now it's hardly there at all. These dogs are so tough. Thank goodness.

Honestly she's had so many near misses. That's another life gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
:huggles: :huggles: To you and Fern. Get well soon Fern.

I am so glad she survived. What dread you must have felt when you heard that sound. Hopefully she might get some road sense now although sometimes they dont make the connection because they dont realise what's happened to them.

Give her some kisses & cuddles from me.

Linda

For some strange reason I thought that it was Bean who'd been hit. I wasn't sure what I was going to find once I'd got to the road. Tally kind of bolted in panic at the sound.

Linda she seemed to think that I'd done it. :b Though she loves me to bits now. She's not a demonstrative dog normally. She's a background kinda dog. But she wants cuddles now. Trouble is where ever I touch her there's a small hole. I keep finding more of them. :(

I'll have to improve my road sense, the dogs are a hopeless case.

I really appreciate your thoughts and replies folks. Thank you all so much. :huggles:

[SIZE=14pt]GET WELL SOON FERN!![/SIZE] :huggles:

Such a scary time for you Beejay, hope your feeling ok. :huggles:

What an awful experience for you Beejay. :( Hope poor little Fern recovers from her injuries soon. :luck: :luck:

The moment we all dread :sweating: Hope she is ok :luck: :luck:

Poor Fern :huggles: hope she feels better soon!

:luck: maybe she will be bit more aware of cars in future :luck:

Lida

Poor poor Fern, but I'm so glad that she's basically OK :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back