The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Poor Kai

Windsdream

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:( My poor boy is haveing trouble again. He is loseing weight and when he stands his back is twisting, he doesent stand straght.

He was playing today when he must have turned sharpley, and hurt his back again

He has been ok up untill now, but the loseing weight thing is worrying me a bit.

He is up to date with being wormed, He has tripe and mixer for breakfast and proplan for tea.

Plus treats and veg, any ideas?

If you can remember he had trouble a while ago.

We are going to see John O"Connor tommorow 8.45 am.

See what he has to say, im going to ask him to x ray him as this problem has been going on to long now :(

:luck: good luck with him tomorrow Tina, hopefully he can get to the bottom of it :luck:

:huggles: Hoping you soon get to the bottom of this Tina :luck: :luck:

Good Luck for tomorrow! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Give poor Kai a hug from me. :huggles: Hope he's feeling better soon.

:luck: :luck: Good Luck Tina - I hope he is better soon :luck:

Best of luck tomorrow Kai, hope the vet can find the problem! :luck:

Poor boy , hope it soon gets sorted :luck:

Good luck for tomorrow :luck: :luck: :luck: hope you get Kai sorted :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Julie

:( Back from the vets, Kai has a problem with his spine. (excuse some spellings)

He has a gap in his spine just where his loin area is,where also he has damaged ligaments.

He has had a injection into this gap :( and also has tablets called (seraquin)

He is to have these for 1 month, Then go back for a check up if there is still a problem then he will go for a scan in Hertford.

Then they will operate on his spine.

John would like to try the tablets first but is unsure if they will work but there is a chance.

Kai is to be kept quite no running no jumping only slow lead work, this is hard how do you tell a whippet it cant do these things.

As for him being thin he said he isnt he looks in fit condition :)

That must mean my others are FAT :- "

Fingers crossed for my baby :wub:

Missed this yesterday. Poor Kai, so sorry to hear he is not feeling too good. The girls send him lots of :wub: and :huggles: and hope he feels better soon. :luck:

Sorry to hear about Kai Tina.

Back problems take ages to heal and I suspect if he is losing weight he is in pain (prbably a nagging pain rather than excrutiating), even though he is eating. My recommendation would be to rug him up when you take him out as it is important to keep his back warm, even if the weather is not that cold. The fleece coats you can get from Whippet Rescue are ideal for this purpose.

If he has damaged ligaments I would get him onto Glucosamine + Chondroitin. Healthspan do a good range. Give twice daily at double the dose for the first 4/6 weeks as a 'loading' dose then twice daily at the correct dosage ad infinitum until you see improvement. It will take far longer than a month to really get him back ('xcuse the pun) right.

On Ronan and TJ I also used a herbal supplement called Easy Mover from Wendals Herbs and that really worked for them. I keep them on it permanently because once you have a back problem you will always have the tendency there to get stiff.

Thanks Caroline, Can i give him the Glucosamine and Chondroitin while he is on the Seraquin from the vets?

Yes i have a range of fury coats i will make sure he is kept warm at all times.

I hate the thought of him being in pain.

Should i go back to the vet and say i want him to have the scan soon rather than wait the month.?

Just caught up with this....poor Kai,he must be feeling rotten :(

I agree with what Caroline has said :thumbsup:

Poor boy, I hope he is soon feeling a bit better, it will take quite a time so dont rush it if he seems better. Fingers crossed for you both.

Poor Kai, hope he feels better soon and hugs to him :luck: If he does come into Hertford maybe I could give him a real hug! :huggles:

You might remember that a while ago my Tess had very bad back problems- the ligaments in her spine had gone loose causing it to over flex, and the vet said that she might never walk off the lead again.

Well I have been taking her swimming twice a week and slowly building up the other exercise and now the vet has cleared her to race.

So I would recommend hydrotherapy.

Tina Of Windsdream said:
Thanks Caroline, Can i give him the Glucosamine and Chondroitin while he is on the Seraquin from the vets?
Yes i have a range of fury coats i will make sure he is kept warm at all times.

I hate the thought of him being in pain.

Should i go back to the vet and say i want him to have the scan soon rather than wait the month.?

Having looked up Seraquin, I am quite surprised your Vet has sold you this as opposed to, perhaps, Cosequin. Having said that, any of these supplements will be VERY expensive from the Vets. I only ever buy these sort of products from Healthspan, I use their Glucosamine & Chondroitin + MSM & Vit C as an initial remedy and then drop to plain Glucosamine or Glucosamine + Omega 3 for oldies. These are 400mg Glucosamine with 100mg Chondroitin, which I would dose at 2 tablets twice daily, giving a daily total intake of 1200mg. As long as you are not exceeding this, he should be OK. It is not necessary to have any higher ratio Chondroitin to Glucosamine. Chondroitin & MSM speed up the effectiveness of Glucosamine but once it is in the system they are not as necessary.

I really cannot stress enough though that a month's supply (and without a loading dose) will probably not make one jot of difference. Has he not been prescribed Rimadyl as well???

I would not rush into any scans but go with rest/leadwalking (rugged up), a good dose of Glucosamine and Rimadyl as and when required.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back