The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pros And Cons Of Adding A Second Whippet To The Family

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I worried and fretted after getting Oscar...should I have another or should I not....he was 8 months old when we introduced

Kobi as a puppy..and this was my first time ever having two dogs. I neednt have worried...they got on great after the initial

introduction and I couldnt imagine going back to one now.

As most of you will know I now have Archie...and personally I think three is harder to some degree..but Archie is approaching two now

and becoming so much more manageable. Walking three can be trying too when you meet certain dogs. and two of mine are pullers.

I liked two whippets...and they are such good company for one another. :) Perfect...

It must be so sad seeing Kelly's Angel on her own, after losing Daisy... :( I often worry myself what would happen if I were

to lose one like this....and what the others would be like.

You are doing all the right things waying all the pros and cons up first....Im sure you will have almost talked yourself into having

another one before you know it... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jill

We went from being a One Whippet family to a Two whippet family 7 months ago when our girl Nockie was 17 months old.

To answer your questions I have found

"could I upset the equilibrium completely here?"

Things will definitely be different but I don't believe the equilibrium will be completely upset.

"Will he run off and develop a deaf ear when he has another whippet to play with?"

Most likely - as one Whippet will when distracted by another dog if not highly trained.

"Will there be constant whippet play fighting in the house and dogs hanging off each others necks???"

Not constantly - but often, especially after food as that is when they celebrate and when out for walks when you get to grassy areas the pup might wont to have a rumble.

"What was it really like going from a single whippet to two?"

Nothing but positive for us. We loved just having one Whippet and that would of been just great indefinitely. We did feel however that Nockie needed a play mate of her own kind to keep her well balanced and truly happy. I always felt that there was something missing in her life even though she had all the attention, stimulation, exercise, discipline and excitement she could wont.

I have been very happy with the change from one to two Whippets. There has been big adjustments made especially on walks, car trips and juggling two pups at dog sports but I would not have it any other way now.

Everything will be different but you will still get and be able to give to Blue the same love and attention that he has enjoyed from you.

All the best in whichever way you go.

And it is all mostly fun.

Graeme.

i cant comment on going from one to two,

but do have to say, this thing about them going deaf as they get destracted by the other,

its not quite the case with ours,

maybe its because they were brought up together, maybe its because they are just different (special) from other whippets :- or maybe not all do go deaf,

but my 2 come back 98% of the time when first called. the only time i have trouble getting them back is if they run to see a different dog, and i would say 7/10 times they still come back within the first couple of calls.

i dont know how much this would change adding a 3rd to the mix, but my 2 they are fine.

good luck jill with what ever you decide, :luck: :luck: :luck:

Are you thinking of a puppy or a little older Jill? you wont regret getting more whippets :wub:

Its so rewarding to have whippets they give back so much more than just a mere dog.

I used to think that! However I find that Rebus is equally loving. He is treated in just the same way as the whippy boys and his company is just as rewarding. Despite being not quite 5 months old he is a much loved member of our household. I certainly cannot imagine ever being without him.

In answer to the original question I have introduced new whippets to the household on two occasions and they have been readily accepted both times. The two older ones have a very special bond but they never excluded Diesel. When I introduced Rebus there was even less fuss. It is quite funny to watch Diesel and Rebus running together. Diesel flying off and Rebus trying but unable to keep up. In the quiet moments I end up with three whippets sat on or around me and a jack usually wrapped around a body part somewhere.

If you can cope with two and have enough sofa space go for it. I'm sure Blue will enjoy the company.

I think there would be a difference but Blue would still have a special bond with you. When we went from 1-2 Jasper was very much a daddies boy and Owen a mummies boy so they weren't to bothered. Now we have 10 and to be honest the older ones snuggle up on the sofas and the pups play for a while then they too settle down. Holly is our most recent arrival and you wouldn't think she had never been here.The pup accepted her straight away. The older ones were more cautious and we have to watch Bandit as he is grumpy not just with Holly but with all the pups but thats just him. We also introduced an older bitch last eyar in Freyja but they were fine we had a few grumbles as she first settled in but that was all

I have three Whippets that live at home with me, Frankie, Holly and Ruby. To be honest i find them very easy to live with. After they've been walked and fed, i hardly know i've got them. They tend to spend their time piled up together on the sofa in the conservatory.
The way Whippets interact together with 'their own kind' is really special in my opinion. I've lived with several other breeds and this interaction is just not the same. Mine do come to me individually for cuddles and sometimes in the evening i allow one of them up on my knee (no dogs on the furniture in the main part of the house!) whilst the other two lie together. However, mine have never lived as only dogs so do rely on each other for company. I know that neither Frankie or Ruby would like to be an only Whippet, but quite recently i had Holly here on her own (Ruby away with my sister who was showing her that week and Frankie with my parents) and she couldn't have cared less - she is much more independant.

So, you may have times when they have a mad 10 minutes playing together in the house, but in my opinion it's so worth it. The special bond that they have with each other is magical and a great pleasure to watch both running out in the fields and snuggling at home.
that is so true angel was on her own for nearly 2 years before i got daisy and wasnt really bothered but since she has lost her companion the change in her has been awful to be honest they do love to be with their own kind jill you know your boy best if you think he could cope then go for it you wont regret it

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm totally up for the mad 10 minutes or half hours - that I can cope with as long as there are peaceful times too :) and I'm forever admiring photos on here of two or more whippets cuddling up together :huggles: Do you think it would be easier to introduce a puppy or would a slightly older dog be ok too? It's not something I'm planning to do immediately but want to get things clear in my head so when the time's right I'm ready to go for it :)

Just to put those cute 'n' cuddly pictures into perspective :-

aemg79.jpg
9h7w21.jpg

Ella is nearly 4 now and she is (well, apart from being the most gorgeous, gentle, beautiful dog in the world!) quite submissive. We think if another whippie came to our home she'd have her nose pushed out as she's sure to let the newbie become boss, but is that just us worrying and not all dogs (or people for that matter) want to be the boss, some are just happy plodding along as part of the family/team!

We have the best of both worlds, her litter brother lives locally and she spends our holiday with them, then Riley spends their holiday with us. They adore each other, he is very much the Big Brother- looking after her when in the park together, if she gets to the ball first she always gives it up to him, but equally if he's trying to give her a 'piggy back' she tells him off in no uncertain terms :D

It must be very expensive having multi dogs and very difficult to go abroad and get someone to kindly babysit for you, doesn't stop me from feeling mean when I think how she might like a best furry friend :( I'd just hate to make a mistake.

I think two dogs are the perfect number of dogs to have if you're a pet owner and don't show or compete with your dogs (I won't say two whippets as I have two different breeds) but it does depend on your hobbies, lifestyle and circumstances.

There's no doubting that two whippets usually like to snuggle up and that in itself is a pleasure to see. One dog is rewarding but slightly dull (especially if you have a quiet whippet). Two dogs are company for each other, more stimulating on walks and it's lovely to see them interact and run together. As with anything there's a flip side too. Sometimes you start to get problems with fear agression around other dogs when you add another dog on your walks; two dogs costs double and going away on holiday isn't quite as easy as it was before, but it's still relatively easy with two. Once you get to three, that's another ball game altogether......... :wacko:

Are you thinking of a puppy or a little older Jill? you wont regret getting more whippets :wub:
I think a puppy would probably be the best option as we also have Hoshi, the cat, and hopefully a pup would accept him from the outset as part of the family. I've felt quite 'broody' for another whippy for quite a while and I have to say you're partly to blame!!! Spry and Kane's litter were so very gorgeous and I have to admit to falling a little bit in love with 'Splodge' now Pax of course :D I don't suppose you're planning any more litters in the next year or so are you? :-

This is an interesting thread and its good to hear everyones honest opinions. I have also been thinking about taking in a second whippet for some time. I think if you are planning on getting a second whippet its important to know your own dogs temperment. Lucy is a bit of a bossy boots and often steals toys off the other dogs she visits, she always gets away with it! She likes to be the boss and the centre of attention so as long as that didnt change with a new addition arriving I think she would be quite happy. However if the new addition was as strong minded as her I could forsee problems. I am sure once you get the right dog with the right temperment things will go well. I reckon things would be a bit more interesting with two, perhaps the house would be not as quiet as before. Twice the cost and twice the poo. Twice the hassle? Im not sure. Lucy is so good and is no hassle at all. I still go to see what she is up to when she dissapears and things go quiet, expecting her to be up to something she shouldnt be, only to find her fast asleep on the bed. I dont know if thats her just being a whippet or if she is just a particularly easy whippet to live with. I do feel sorry for her sometimes though if I am doing something and she is sitting on the couch on her own or if we go for a walk and there are no dogs for her to play with or if I have to leave her home alone. Its during those times I think she would be happy to have another dog around. Good luck with your decision, I think we all know deep down that one whippet will never be enough and its just a matter of time before another one comes along. :luck:

Yes, that's just how I feel too - Blue seems so easy to live with I wonder if it's crazy to change anything - he also wanders off for a mid day snooze on the bed -_- but, like you, I just think life might be even more interesting for him with a wee pal.

Two dogs are company for each other, more stimulating on walks and it's lovely to see them interact and run together. As with anything there's a flip side too. Sometimes you start to get problems with fear agression around other dogs when you add another dog on your walks;
Both these points are quite true - I'm sure our dogs enjoy walks more because they have each other but I am very careful when we approach other dogs, especially as ours are on lead all the time because we live near busy roads/rivers/ railways. Even though they are pups, it must be very daunting for other dogs to have two playful jumpy whippets coming at them, especially as Ros also barks his welcome. I'm really careful to keep one dog back (it's usually myself and husband or son, so someone can hang back a bit) and only let the pups introduce themselves one at a time to the new dog.

I also don't feel as bad when I have to leave them for a bit as I know they have each other. :wub:

Can't really add to the 'introducing another whippet' debate as we got our two at the same time - but I do know I wouldn't have stopped at one ;)

Yes its a tough one, there are pros and cons. On the one hand you feel things are so good with Blue so perhaps "if it aint broke dont fix it" then on the other hand perhaps it could be so much better!

I know someone who had a single dog for almost two years. She got her as a puppy from a rescue, a lurcher. She was such a pleasure to have around that when she turned two she took in another rescue lurcher and things changed in the house but not for the better as the new dog came with alot of issues she didnt know about, in hindsight I know deep down she wishes she never took the second dog on but she cant turn back time and she loves them both very much. In that situation her dog has not benefitted from the addition of another dog. I think those in the know advise getting a younger dog of the opposite sex in order to prevent things going bad but there are many people on here that have either all bitches or all dogs together and they get on famously. Sorry that s probably not much help. I do think whippets are different and do generally accept other dogs very well.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back