The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy has clicking hock joint.

Jess1898

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a 14 week old miniature dachshund. His hock joint in both back legs is clicking when he stands up and his leg straightens. I can also make the joint click if I bend and then straighten it. he isn’t limping or showing any signs of pain. People keep saying it could be a luxating patella but it isn’t happening with the knee, it’s with his hock joint. Other people have said it’s because he is growing. I rang the vet 2 weeks ago and vet said that if there’s no sign of pain then he should be okay until he has his vaccinations on Sunday and she has a look at it then. He runs and walks fine and is playing as usual, he’s acting no different. Anybody have any idea of what this could be?

I am having a similar problem which only occurred yesterday with our 12 week Border Terrier pup. He went on his longest walk so far, but still not too long or his age - and last night when we moved and stretched his hind legs there were small clicking sounds. The same has been occurring today, but again doesn't seem to be in any sign of pain/stress. Have we overwalked him? Or is this just growing? I'm worried!

How far did you go? The recommended amount is 5 minutes per month of age, twice a day - it is only a guideline, but I wouldn't stray too far from it until your dog reaches skeletal maturity.

Were his parents free from patellar luxation?

You have to be so careful with daschunds they can tear or damage their leg joints so easily ...he shouldnt be allowed to jump on and off furniture and go upstairs. ....

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back