The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy in heat

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Responsible ownership can also prevent unwanted pregnancies, and that does not mean sticking a dog in a cage for the whole time while the female is in season for 3 to 4 weeks!! If you choose to have a female you should accept the responsibilities that come with her. Sorry I'm drifting onto other issues:rolleyes:.
I have owned female dogs since I was 17, that is 50 ish years, I have never spayed for convenience, never had a mistake litter of puppies and never had Pyometra.

It's quite possible to be for widespread early neutering programmes for dogs in general, even if neutering doesn't benefit the individual dog, purely because of the huge welfare issue of unwanted litters in strays, and because so many people will breed irresponsibly (or just let it happen under their noses).

So organisations who advocate early neutering don't necessarily believe it is the healthiest, safest option for individual dogs, and therefore when a responsible owner is debating what to do, they shouldn't be too swayed by organisations who promote it.

Speaking of “letting it happen under one’s nose”, I was very shocked & more than a little angry at a member on another forum, who let his young intact-M Bouvier run off leash, knowing full well that he was a humpomatic randy b*gger, & would snap or snarl at any owner who tried to remove him from their F dog, or tried to take the F dog away on her leash.
He bragged about several incidents when leashed bitches in estrus were grabbed unceremoniously & mounted by his hairy thug, & thot the owners “deserved it”, for having their dogs “out in public”.

His thug dog also mounted other M dogs & menaced their owners if they came to rescue their often-smaller dog from his self-satisfying attentions. // He thot it was funny, to see his dog straddle another half his size & hump him vigorously.
As far as I was concerned, the owner was even more of a menace than his rude, untrained, uncontrolled dog. :rolleyes: If he had lived near me, I might have gotten a petition started to castrate them both. :p
I think his dog served as a proxy for his own desire to assault other persons. (But of course, that is entirely hypothesis on my part.)

- terry

wow @leashed also living in the US of A and have literally never heard of policies like that. Also rented all my adult life. Maybe it varies by state?

Hey, @Shalista - welcome to a fellow Merikan, LOL. :D

The avma.org website has a page listing STATES which have mandatory S/N laws (“state summary report, mandatory s/n laws”); their list was last updated April 2018, so it should be relatively accurate.
— however, cities, counties, townships, Home Owner Assoc’s, condo assoc’s, apt complexes, housing co-ops, etc, can all pass local or private ordinances.

The country is a patchwork of varying laws; most of the mandatory desex laws at state level pertain to shelters & rescues, requiring that they desex any animal that they release for adoption, prior to transferring possession to the adopter. 32 states of the 50 mandate adopted pets are desexed B4 placement.

In Feb of 2007, dogbreeders in California were angry over proposed legislation to require a breeder’s license statewide, for anyone who wanted to breed cats or dogs; the statewide law failed to pass, but San Francisco has a longstanding law which requires that all pit bulls / Pit Bulls & their mixes be S/N, within city limits. Violation is a misdemeanor with a fine, & dogs can be confiscated if owners refuse to comply or fail to comply within X time frame.

Los Angeles was the 1st city to pass stringent S/N laws, & the AKC has been lobbying intensively to prevent other cities from passing similar laws; in L.A., pets who are not future dams or sires, or who won’t be shown or competed in sports requiring gonads, ** must be ** desexed by 4-MO. // That law was passed in 2008, & caught the AKC off guard.
They have been railing against it, ever since.

The AKC has a large warchest for lobbying & employs a small army of pros in Wash., DC; once upon a time, the AKC was a power against the puppy-mill industry nationally, & bluntly told anyone who visited their website not to purchase pups from pet stores, who were bred in industrial settings, had impoverished puphoods, were poorly socialized, & had zero screening of dam & sire for heritable issues.
No more; the AKC is in bed with the industrial breeders, b/c they are no longer the only game in town - the UKC has gone all-breed, ARBA is sucking up rare breeds as is Rarities, the CKC in Canada is cheerfully registering Merikan dogs, & a half-dozen vanity registries will register Ur “new breed”... the CockAShitzPooh or wolf-hybrid U produced is now a “breed “. :rolleyes:
So the AKC is vigorously defending puppy-mills, as nowadays, they represent a big hunk of their customer base. // :confused: Crazy.

Dallas, TX, & Las Vegas, NV, are 2 other major U-S cities with strict citywide S/N laws.

Rhode Island has a statewide law requiring every cat to be s/n that is not actively breeding or a show animal; they are the only state that has defeated the stealth campaign of Alley Cat Allies, an organization which is aggressively pushing to protect feral cats in all 50 states with cat-friendly legislation that makes cats “special”.
Feral & free-roaming cats in the U-S kill millions of wildlings every year, & approx 90 million feral cats currently infest the U-S. Yes, I did say & I do indeed mean “infest” — housecats are not native; they are subsidized predators, & they wreak carnage on our native wildlife all year round.

State, city, town ordinances, breeder licenses, mandatory S/N, pet limits of 3 dogs per household & no more than 4 cats, etc... the days of a cattery with 2 or 3 dozen cats from 2 or 3 breeds in a private home, unlicensed, are long gone.
The era of the big kennel, with 20 or 30 I/O runs & a common shed to shelter the dogs, on a suburban property, unlicensed & uninspected, are also gone.

Terhune’s beloved Rough Collies would not be welcome in rural New Jersey, today.

- terry

Last edited:
NOT interested, I have better things to do than trying to read these over long posts !:mad:

@leashed, educational. I figured any legislation on the issue would be patchwork cause....its... us... :rolleyes:

I knew about the shelters requiring a spay or neuter before they'd re home and we have a lot of catch/neuter/release programs in my area for stray cats as population control.

I think whats important to remember is going back to previous post i saw from someone. everyone agrees population control is important (which is what i believe these two programs are for.) shelters are over full, they dont want the grand puppies of dogs they home ending up back in shelters and cats breed like rats out there.

i think the private dog owners on here are arguing that while population control is all well and good for the vast sea of cats and shelter animals, as a private dog owner that may not be whats best for their animals personal HEALTH(assuming that they have no intention of breeding).

Personally i literally dont have a dog in the race, i neutered Baxter at around 8 months (the day or two after i got him actually) to prevent spraying, something it did NOT fix.

Given his confidence issues, especially around other dogs, I've often worried i snipped to early..... but that dog has already left the gate....

@Shalista , I know this is an owned puppy we are discussing — believe me, I haven’t begun to confuse this particular individual pup, with the hundreds of thousands of pups currently in shelters, across the U-S.
:D

Nor am I unaware that this puppy lives in the U-K, where pet-overpopn is not as massive as in the much-larger USA... but it’s still a problem, even in the Blessed Isles - is it not?

My previous posts, until U asked me about the legal situation in the U-S, (which I brought up by saying that in the U-S, laws may determine “for” a dog or cat owner whether and when they desex their pets) were all about THIS puppy, who is female and has very specific FEMALE health risks if she remains intact, past her 1st estrus.

I’ve already said what those additional risks would be, but I will review them briefly:

Life-threatening
- an added 11% risk of breast cancer, per each estrus she goes thru
- risk of pyometra, as long as she has a uterus

Non-life-threatening but concerning
- risk of pseudopregnancy with every heat,
delaying her spay surgery again & often requires hormonal Rx to quash some symptoms (milk secretion, etc)
- much greater risk of bladder & kidney infections, vs risk for a spayed F

Breast cancer is the biggie, & it does not respect international boundaries; British, Scottish, Irish, & Welsh bitches are just as prone to breast cancer as Merikan bitches. :(

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back