The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy not eating his food

SukiB5667

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 4month cavachon has had a very healthy appetite and never needed any encouragement to be fed as he’d rush and sit waiting or hover whilst I’m putting his food out. However past few days he’s not been that interested and wonder if this is normal that as they get bigger and older ?? It’s mainly his breakfast this is happening.
any ideas and should I be worried. TIA

How many feeds are you giving your puppy?

It is possible that you are offering him more than he wants, and It could be his way of saying "I don't want a breakfast any more" or I just don't need quiet so much food.
If he is well in himself and in good condition, 4 months is quiet an acceptable age to cut out a feed.
If you think he still needs the same daily amount, share the breakfast amount between his remaining feeds.

Just a thought;
Is he getting plenty of exercise and play time to burn off some of his energy intake ?

And - is he teething? He might appreciate sloppy food for his breakfast. Some pups need to gnaw on hard stuff when they teethe, and some prefer softer food - but don't make every meal soft.

Ah yes 4 months, or 16 weeks ish. Changing teeth, I forgot that one, starting with the very tiny front ones top and bottom.
I must say though that it never slowed any of our spaniel youngsters down. Life goes on and guzzling food continues. :rolleyes:

How many feeds are you giving your puppy?

It is possible that you are offering him more than he wants, and It could be his way of saying "I don't want a breakfast any more" or I just don't need quiet so much food.
If he is well in himself and in good condition, 4 months is quiet an acceptable age to cut out a feed.
If you think he still needs the same daily amount, share the breakfast amount between his remaining feeds.

Just a thought;
Is he getting plenty of exercise and play time to burn off some of his energy intake ?
He’s still on 3feeds per day and hes teething but TBH we had not providing his allowance under until recently as we misread what he should be having. He gets plenty of excercise and play
He is also teething so glad to know that may be why

Ah yes 4 months, or 16 weeks ish. Changing teeth, I forgot that one, starting with the very tiny front ones top and bottom.
I must say though that it never slowed any of our spaniel youngsters down. Life goes on and guzzling food continues. :rolleyes:
Thanks good to know that may be why
And - is he teething? He might appreciate sloppy food for his breakfast. Some pups need to gnaw on hard stuff when they teethe, and some prefer softer food - but don't make every meal soft.
Hes on dry food not wet food and we’ve been giving him yak chew to gnaw on also some chicken/beef coins which are hard.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back