The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy stomach issues help??

MBROCK

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 14 week old british bull dog has had dioreah for the past 48 hours, we changed his food the day before due to no super markets having our normal one in stock? He was only on the new food for 1 1/2 days in total, after the 1/2 a day he started having soft stools but nothing serious, as of yesterday the stools have turned to dioreah and this morning has spots of blood in (my partner thinks this is due to how many times he has been the toilet and is down to strain) he was due to be wormed so that has been done today to rule this out however within the last hour he has been sick and the dioreah has continued. We have put him back on his old puppy food and he was been acting his normal naughty self up until he has been sick (just now) when he has decided to curl up and sleep. He has been eating and drinking plenty or water as normal? Any suggestions?? Or should he simply go to the vet?

I would take him to the vets to be on the safe side - or at least ring them and talk to them about his symptoms. But any changeover of food should be done gradually, over at least a week, so that could be what has upset his tummy.

Take him to a vet, if your vets is closed please ring the emergency number because blood in his faeces is not very good. There are many reasons for blood in faeces.
I think the reason why he has diarrhoea is because you swapped food, normally your supposed to transition food over a period of time. If his faeces is black it is urgent he sees a vet as it could be he has some internal bleeding from the stomach/small intestine. What I would do with my dogs if they have diarrhoea is give them bland food i.e. chicken for 24 hours (don't give them any other food) but give PLENTY of fresh water; speak to your vet and see what they recommend for your dog as we don't know the cause. Diarrhoea could be an important indicator that your dog has an underlying disease, most likely not but it isn't impossible; especially in young dogs. Lord Goliath's Bulldog Domain -

Last edited:
What I would do with my dogs if they have diarrhoea is starve them for 24 hours (don't give them any food) but give PLENTY of fresh water

You should never starve a puppy of just 14 weeks unless under strict veterinary supervision & guidance.

Last edited:
He has really perked up in the last 2 hours he is still drinking a lot as usual so we have given him boiled chicken and rice, going to keep an eye on him and his stool’s over night, if he is not himself tomorrow we will be definitely going to the vet. He is still very active and is keen to eat and drink nothing out of the ordinary with him except his stools?

Sorry, should have put about bland food such as chicken.

Do please be careful - there is a real possibility of causing harm to a dog if you give incorrect and dangerous advice, and editing the post later won't help if the OP, or anyone else who might be in a similar situation, has already read it.

Do please be careful - there is a real possibility of causing harm to a dog if you give incorrect and dangerous advice, and editing the post later won't help if the OP, or anyone else who might be in a similar situation, has already read it.
Sorry I will double check before posting a reply.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back