The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puppy Walking Hell!

Farwells

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Rufus is now fully vaccinated and ready to go out into the world :D

There are, however, a couple of problems. Once I've got his lead on (an art in itself) he sits and refuses to budge an inch. No amount of coaxing with treats, toys or talking in an excited way will budge him. With no lead on he'll come when called (mostly), with a lead, no chance! :( .

If I wait long enough he will move of his own accord and start to sniff around, but if I move in the same direction he stops & sits down again!

If the lead goes tight at all he throws the most almighty tantrum imaginable, screaming & pulling away or running like mad till he reaches the end of the lead and goes flying, wrenching his neck.

This all happened in the house and yard. I asked a few people and they all said he'd be fine once I took him out, as he'd be more interested in new smells etc. They were wrong.

I have spoken to his breeder about it and she suggested I have my back yard gate open, which leads out to a back lane, with Rufus on an extending lead and let him work his way into the outside world in his own time.

This morning I tried it. He wrapped the lead round a large planter, and when I freed up the lead he ran like mad into the house, with me following so he wouldn't throttle himself, and he sat very quietly by my feet shaking a bit :unsure:

It seems like any restriction of movement from the lead freaks him out :( .

Has anyone else had a dog that reacts like this? Any advice? :)

portrait2.jpg

Dave.

Have you tried a Harness ? Many collie pups are like this and a harnesses work wonders. I would also suggest starting off in the middle of a quiet park. Just sit down and let him take it all in. Best of luck :luck:

Thanks Millie, I havn't tried a harness, mainly because it'll be a fight to get one on him!! Could be worth a go if it'll get him out & about :) .

Try putting a small light collar on him, loosely, and attaching a short (not even long enough to trip him up) length of cord to it. Let him get used to this around the house before attaching a longer length and adding in treating games if he lets you lightly hold the end of it? Don't know if it'll work but might help him get used to the feeling? :luck:

Havent got a answer to your problem sorry, but just wanted to say what a gorgeous baby!!! :wub: Love them ears!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :wub:

we used to have a whippet cross foster pup who wont go outside at all especaily on a lead she spent the first 6 months of her life in a celler in a big wooden boxs. once we concerd her outdoor fears we had to get her to walk on lead we used to take her out to. parks and the beach in the car and have picniks with her lead on maybe just wlk a few steps and then back to the pic nic this took a couple of months of going out twice a week inbetween we would take the others out a\nd just stad with the pup on a lead watching the others play and we basicaly ignored her. she now lives with her new owners and they take over 50 out on contry trecks ahd he allway goes with them no problem and loves her walks on lead you will get there in the end it just takes time

I would just drive far away from home, put him on the ground and start walking. To be on safe side use a long rope. He will not want to stay behind. If he starts jumping and carying on just hold the leash (rope) and he'll work out it is not going to do him any good. Borzoi pups are notorious for hating to be leash trained and they put on big struggle. My first Borzoi was so bad, she started to scream the moment i put the leash on her collar, struggled for few moments then collapsed to the ground howling most pitiously. I thought something happened to her. As soon as i let her off the leash she was fine, though. I called the breeder and was told to be firm. And it worked.

But I found that if I do it somewhere away from our place, he will just want to stick with me. Whippets are lot easier.

So perservere and do not let him get the idea that he can get away with playing up.

:luck:

Lida

Thanks all for the advice :thumbsup: , you've all been very helpful and we seem to have made progress in a surprisingly short time.

For the last 3 days I've taken Rufus out to a nearby quietish grassy area. Since I don't drive i've had to carry him there. Don't know if that's gonna cause any problems later on or not :unsure:

For the first 2 days he mostly hugged the wall or sat between my legs refusing to budge and most of the time not showing much interest in anything bar the grass underneath him.

On the first day no other dogs showed up but yesterday a few walked by, Rufus watched a couple go by, then a whippet came along and he had to go and say hello :D

Today something must've clicked. He sniffed around, walked along with me (sort of) and only occasionally stopped and sat, facing in the opposite direction, but he followed along before the lead went tight :D :D :D .

He did get stroppy when he couldn't follow other dogs but thats just a minor thing. The main thing is he's out and he seems to enjoy it.

Ru1.jpg

Ru2.jpg

Ru3.jpg

Looks like he's got the hang of it now :thumbsup:

Once he starts to walk, he realises what fun it is, you will not have to carry him.

:cheers:

Lida

That's good to hear :D . He's growing like a weed, 17 inches last time I measured him, the sooner I can stop carrying him the better it'll be for my scrawny arms (w00t) .

Dave.

Well done!! He looks quite a strapping lad doesn't he? :))

Now that is progress :thumbsup: Well done Rufus - keep it up. :cheers:

Meant to add to my previous post that he's certainly striding out well on those photos. You've definitely cracked it. :thumbsup:

I'm quite surprised by how well he moves, especially considering his paws are several sizes too big. His running however is pure comedy in motion.

Dave.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back