The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pure Bred Chihuahua or Not?

Pterry97

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

about 3 weeks ago I rehomed a chihuahua puppy. He’s about 6 months old and is doing really well settling into his new life with me.

The previous family he was with said he was a purebred chihuahua, but not certified. I saw his sire who looked like a normal short haired chihuahua, and saw a picture of his mother who was also a short haired chihuahua (owned by another family member). I have no intention of breeding my little chap, so his purity or whatever makes no difference to me. But this is my first time having a small dog so I wouldn’t know what I was or wasn’t looking for to identify anything out of the ordinary on a chihuahua in the first place.

Long story short, my guy is a kind of long haired chihuahua. But literally every single person who has asked for his breed has asked if he is a mix of something. This has happened at least 7 times now, nobody except me seems convinced he’s a full chihuahua. So out of curiosity; for those who know their chihuahua stuff, does my little guy look like a normal chihuahua to you? He’s only 6 months old so has a little more growing to do

21F71A1F-B712-4672-821C-7212E809259B.png
1D33B84C-F177-4DE7-B9FC-88A9EE9525FB.jpeg

55ED1BF0-00CF-406E-9BCB-BA026C90E36E.jpeg
CCCEA379-E237-485E-BC29-0F231EBDC684.jpeg
CC8CD342-FDF1-4672-8055-FBA6985C8E20.jpeg

My word: he's a stunner!

I am not an expert in chis, but he looks like one to me.

He looks like a chihuahua.
If the parents or maybe one of them has some long haired chihuahua in their breeding, then it is possible that this is what is showing through in your puppies coat, I think it is lovely.

Another non-expert vote for full chihuahua - and a very gorgeous one at that :)

Absolutely lovely pics! Again no expert here but he looks like a Chi to me too!!

Maybe all the people who have queried him are used to just seeing smooth coated Chi's? You could always have a bit of fun next time someone asks and say that he's a Chi cross Leonberger or something?:D:D

Looks like a chihuahua to me (my auntie bred them for many years )

Hi , not an expert but we have a little Mexican in our family! .. D in law has a wahwah..And the features are all there, ..I think people may be confused because of the long hair..either way, little pupper is a cutie.. he'll still be a heartbreaker!

What on earth is a "wahwah" ?:eek:
It’s a guitar effects pedal used predominantly in the 60s. Happy days - listen to Jimi Hendrix’s “Burning of the Midnight Lamp” intro.

So it's not a dog after all, ah well I will remain confused :confused:

Reactions: RGC
Hi all,

about 3 weeks ago I rehomed a chihuahua puppy. He’s about 6 months old and is doing really well settling into his new life with me.

The previous family he was with said he was a purebred chihuahua, but not certified. I saw his sire who looked like a normal short haired chihuahua, and saw a picture of his mother who was also a short haired chihuahua (owned by another family member). I have no intention of breeding my little chap, so his purity or whatever makes no difference to me. But this is my first time having a small dog so I wouldn’t know what I was or wasn’t looking for to identify anything out of the ordinary on a chihuahua in the first place.

Long story short, my guy is a kind of long haired chihuahua. But literally every single person who has asked for his breed has asked if he is a mix of something. This has happened at least 7 times now, nobody except me seems convinced he’s a full chihuahua. So out of curiosity; for those who know their chihuahua stuff, does my little guy look like a normal chihuahua to you? He’s only 6 months old so has a little more growing to do

View attachment 111980094 View attachment 111980095
View attachment 111980091 View attachment 111980092 View attachment 111980093

The long coat gene is a recessive to the smooth coat in dogs, so he could very well have 2 smooth coated parents. He could well be a pet bred Chihuahua.

Reactions: JBP
I had three chihuahuas and Mildred lived to 17, Gertrude 16 and Ethel made 15. Your little guy looks like a full chi to me! Love, lovely dogs. Any problems are with the owners. Our bet always said ours gave the breed a good name! Mildred was the dog of my life but now we have two whippet puppies and mine, Sassi, says she want a go at the title!

Enjoy your lovely little fellow and just always remember, he’s small, he’s bound to see things differently and be frightened. Don’t frighten them and the aggression associated with the breed simply does.

He certainly looks loved, confident and happy!

There’s also a Paradoodle.

:D:D:D:D (We really need a laughing smiley)

Excuseme, as well as a 'wahwha' being a nickname for a chi, there is a guitar effects pedal called a wah wah pedal. And there's a drum rhythm called a paradiddle - using L for left hand/foot and R for right hand/foot, it goes LRLLRLRR...

I'm now trying to think of some more dog breed/music overlaps....

Oh, I've heard of woofers, we have 7 of the doggy ones. Ha ha ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back