The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Puzzling Health Concern

sugarpie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi,wonder if anyone can shed any light into the ongoing health problems with my 20 month old deerhound/greyhound? since getting her 3 months she has had various health problems eg. wheat allergy,shocking ear mite infestation,poor skin+coat. Finally we successfully got rid of the earmites but she is suffering from sudden sharp pains that shoot down the sides of her face. she will try to scratch her face quite intensly,this created very sore cut skin! we have managed to get her to come to us when this shooting pain happens and we very gently rub the ear area until the pain subsides. her head will strain to one side when the pain happens . ( she does not seem to be suffering from epilepsy as she is very coherent and aware when the pains occur. ) she experiences these pains at least 4 times a day! the frequent visits to the vet,have succeeded in gettin rid of the mites but with regards to this horrible pain she is on streoids,antibiotics and now morphine ! the pain still manages to surface through the medication! the vet says that a lumbar puncture is the next possible option,but as you can imagine I am greatly concerned. has anyone any experince or possible thoughts on what maybe wrong or treatments we could try next? Georgie, our dog, is fine other than this,and doing what these great dogs do best ,namely running,playing,chilling etc. ! any help or thoughts will be so greatly appreciated. p.s. both her earcanals are clean and clear.

How awful,your poor dog :(

The only thing i can suggest is that a few years ago,i had a trapped nerve in my shoulder,which sent agonising pains up into my head,behind my ear & into the jaw.

I wonder if this could be a similar problem???

Maybe a trip to a chiropractor might be worth while?

hi, thanx for advice. Does anyone know of any canine chiropractors in northern england? We've seen 3 vets so far and are due back next week. Hopefully a bit more light will be shed on the problem.

sugarpie said:
hi, thanx for advice. Does anyone know of any canine chiropractors in northern england? We've seen 3 vets so far and are due back next week. Hopefully a bit more light will be shed on the problem.
if the mite infestation has upset the nerve endings in the skin maybe accupuncture could help,

I know a really good osteopath in lancashire, he has helped my lad Oto's back loads(and mine aswell), he also uses accupuncture and homeopathy if needed. he isn't the cheepest bloke about but i would recommend him. :thumbsup:

pm. me if you want his number :luck: :luck: :luck:

hi again, :)

just returned from the vet, georgie has been diagnosed with epilepsy! poor love :(

this was probably caused by the severe ear mite problem, which in turn affected her nerve, which in turn has created brain problems. (so much for a health check pass when we got her from the rescue a few weeks back :rant: ) so now we know what we are dealing with,hopefully the medication will help her and maybe the epilepsy with only be short term! :luck: debx

good to finally get a diagnosis, at least you know what you are dealing with, a mate has a dally with it and is now free from meds, i will ask if you want , how she dealt with it? :thumbsup:

I'm wondering whether it might be worth consulting another vet? You could ask the rescue if she could see theirs as it's pos she has more allergies or some other problem and not epilepsy at all. You haven't mentioned her having fits.

Perhaps a change of diet might help? Have a look on www.lurcher.org in the Advice Needed section as I believe there is a 'sticky' on dietery advice there.

Not all vets are good and yours sounds as if they have been struggling a bit. There is also a section with a list of Good Lurcher Vets and there might be a vet in your area who is more switched on.

Epilepsy medicine won't do her any good if she doesn't have it.

If you go to another vet DON'T mention the name of the one you have been seeing or they may get cagey. I had a terrible time with The Hale Group who twisted my cats bladder round 360 degrees whilst doing routine op and I took him to Royal Vet College at Potters Bar cos the vets spent 2.5 weeks torturing him and not realising they had ballsed up :rant:

If the dog aint fitting id get another opinion as a vet once told me that owners need to see something being done or they will go somewhere else he used to use placebos and agree to the owners demands that something was wrong with em dont mess get a second opinion from a greyhound vet but as youve been told dont tell em you have been elsewhere

I'd want a second opinion on that as well sugarpie, please get one. :luck:

...and do not mention epilepsy/allergy to new vet- present it as a fresh case. Give the history after the initial diagnosis :thumbsup:

hi again,thanx for all your replys,much appreciated :cheers:

georgie's still having slight seisures altho less frequent, (hopefully these will reduce in time). we've noticed a trigger pattern to the them so watch out when these are likely to occur. basically i think we rescued a poorly dog whose conditions have gone untreated for sometime and so gradually got worse! :angry: her fur has begun to thicken and smell less and apart from the face nerve problem i think we're getting there. she's an absolute gem +is responding well to training :)) once again many thanx,will keep you posted of her health improvements.

It takes time to sort a dog out thats been neglected credit to you for giving her a stable home good luck for the future juckler

I read somewhere that cranberry juice is good at preventing epilleptic fits. (if thats what it is) and if not, it surely cant hurt her. Good Luck with Georgie.

juckler said:
It takes time to sort a dog out thats been neglected credit to you for giving her a stable home good luck for the future juckler
:thumbsup: it's gorgeous seeing more of her personality,she's a treasure

sugarpie said:
hi,wonder if anyone can shed any light into the ongoing health problems with my 20 month old deerhound/greyhound? since getting her 3 months  she has had various health problems eg. wheat allergy,shocking ear mite infestation,poor skin+coat.  Finally we successfully got rid of the earmites but she is suffering from sudden sharp pains that shoot down the sides of her face. she will try to scratch her face quite intensly,this created very sore cut skin! we have managed to get her to come to us when this shooting pain happens and we very gently rub the ear area until the pain subsides. her head will strain to one side when the pain happens . ( she does not seem to be suffering from epilepsy as she is very coherent and aware when the pains occur. )  she experiences these pains at least 4 times a day!  the frequent visits to the vet,have succeeded in gettin rid of the mites but with regards to this horrible pain she is on streoids,antibiotics and now morphine ! the pain still manages to surface through the medication! the vet says that a lumbar puncture is the next possible option,but as you can imagine I am greatly concerned.    has anyone any experince or possible thoughts on what maybe wrong or treatments we could try next?  Georgie, our dog, is fine other than this,and doing what these great dogs do best ,namely running,playing,chilling etc. !  any help or thoughts will be so greatly appreciated. p.s. both her earcanals are clean and clear.
Almost sounds like a problem with the trigeminal nerve. Is there such a thing as a canine neurologist? Maybe suggest this to your Vet and ask for a referral.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back