The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Questionaire Results

Karen

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well it was very close so I have worked it out two ways.

Most Ist and highest placings if not first.

1, Breed type

5, Conformation

3, Movement

4, Temperament

2, Head shape etc

6, Presentation

7, Colour.

Overall placings, (most placings alltogether)

5, Conformation

1, Breed type

3, Movement

2, Head shape etc

4, Temperament

6, Presentation

7, Colour.

Conformation got far more top placings ( 1st & 2nds)than Breed type so I thought I would show both methods of conclusion.

IMO no list is the right one, people are bound to have differing opinions. For those who listed three firsts for what ever reason I hope I never get lost in the jungle with you :D

And lastly I think it would be very informative to do an anonomus poll to see if colour really would come last if we were totally honest. :- "

Karen said:
Well it was very close so I have worked it out two ways.
Most Ist and highest placings if not first.

1, Breed type

5, Conformation

3, Movement

4, Temperament

2, Head shape etc

6, Presentation

7, Colour.

Overall placings, (most placings alltogether)

5, Conformation

1, Breed type

3, Movement

2, Head shape etc

4, Temperament

6, Presentation

7, Colour.

Conformation got far more top placings ( 1st & 2nds)than Breed type so I thought I would show both methods of conclusion.

IMO no list is the right one, people are bound to have differing opinions.  For those who listed three firsts for what ever reason I hope I never get lost in the jungle with you :D

And lastly I think it would be very informative to do an anonomus poll to see if colour really would come last if we were totally honest. :- "

[SIZE=14pt]Height[/SIZE] ??????? :(

Just wanted to say very interesting thread this has been :thumbsup: particulary for 'newbies' like myself and i really enjoyed reading the posts.

Certiantly food for thought for me! :D and a nice change from usaul threads on this forum, would be nice to have more informative posts and disscussions like this one again :thumbsup:

Well thought of Karen :cheers:

Great thread Karen, afraid I have been lurking this week and was not a respondent but I have to smile about your last para

"And lastly I think it would be very informative to do an anonomus poll to see if colour really would come last if we were totally honest. "

from one of the 'poor relations' (or so it feels) in the ring, for showing a 'blue', wish I had a fiver for the number of times ive been told 'he's quite nice - for a blue'.

Here's hoping we are not all 'blue' in the next week due to the cold weather, certainly not whippet weather. :sweating:

jonesyins14 said:
"And lastly I think it would be very informative to do an anonomus poll to see if colour really would come last if we were totally honest. "
from one of the 'poor relations' (or so it feels) in the ring, for showing a 'blue', wish I had a fiver for the number of times ive been told 'he's quite nice - for a blue'.

As an owner of blue Whipet myself, i know how difficult it is to show them. But I think part of the problem is not that the judges do not want to look at them but that they just blend into the background. I have spoken about it to my friends who judge and they also say that the particoulored dogs stand out. I also have several photos of coloured dogs where they totally disapeared into the handler's clothing.

just look at this line up, the black dog may as well be a headless cardboard cut out :)

jonesyins14 said:

As an owner of blue Whipet myself, i know how difficult it is to show them. But I think part of the problem is not that the judges do not want to look at them but that they just blend into the background. I have spoken about it to my friends who judge and they also say that the particoulored dogs stand out. I also have several photos of coloured dogs where they totally disapeared into the handler's clothing.

just look at this line up, the black dog may as well be a headless cardboard cut out :)

Seraphina said:
jonesyins14 said:

It's a pity that the photo you used as an example is not a good one. Perhaps when photogrophers take photos of coloured dogs they should take light into consideration. If a judge is any good they will ignore the colour and look at what they are judging - the dogs outline,movement,eye colour to blend into coat colour, etc... I would hope that a judge is not judging the dog on its colour only. And if the judge was really interested they would ask the handler to move away from the dog so the judge can see the dogs outline properly..............Rag Dog

rag dog said:
Seraphina said:
jonesyins14 said:

It's a pity that the photo you used as an example is not a good one. Perhaps when photogrophers take photos of coloured dogs they should take light into consideration. If a judge is any good they will ignore the colour and look at what they are judging - the dogs outline,movement,eye colour to blend into coat colour, etc... I would hope that a judge is not judging the dog on its colour only. And if the judge was really interested they would ask the handler to move away from the dog so the judge can see the dogs outline properly..............Rag Dog

Unfortunately, the photo came out lot darker when i transfered it from my computer, and by the time I decided to try to delete it and put in a lighter version, i was not able to edit. But even in this bad light, and the photo was taken from ringside across the huge ring, you can see the difference; you can still make out muscles on the light coloured dogs but not the black one. Of-course, the judge does examine the dogs from close but in the end, IF confronted by a line-up of, on the whole even class, the blue and greys do tend to be harder to see. The blacks also always look as if they are finer than they really are. If i had a dollar for everytime i was told my black Dane has not enough bone, only when meassured and compared with supposedly well boned fawn it showed her bones are as strong as the other one ;)

I will try the lightened pic again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I would like to stress; I am not commenting in any way on the dogs in these pics, and would like to point out that the way I photographed them was not necessarily the way they were placed in the end. Anyway here is a better, outside in full light photo.

Seraphina said:
Also I would like to stress; I am not commenting in any way on the dogs in these pics, and would like to point out that the way I photographed them was not necessarily the way they were placed in the end.  Anyway here is a better, outside in full light photo.
Tried to view the enlarged opics but they wouldn't open for some reason.

The outside picture shows one problem with showing dogs of colour in that the handler is wearing trousers that merge in with the colour of the dog.

The colour and even style of clothing can make a difference, although it IS the dog being judged. For example bell-bottom trousers or a long floaty dress flapping arund your ankles/knees may disturb your dogs movement. Some people even take different outfits to a show to contrast with the dogs they are handling.

I would totally blame the handler in these photos, I would'nt ever wear black or dark trousers if I was showing a black dog. And yes I have been known to change clothes between dogs. If you cant I would stand away so the grass is behind or drape a pale cloth over the little fence at the back. If you think you really have a good dog you should do whatever it takes. IMO :D

dawn said:
Tried to view the enlarged opics but they wouldn't open for some reason.

I know but that is nothing to do with my pics, it is all thumbs on k9 today :( That is why I ran out of time with the first one i kept on deleting it and redoing it. I thought the large pic will not be as dark.

Karen said:
I would totally blame the handler in these photos, I would'nt ever wear black or dark trousers if I was showing a black dog.  And yes I have been known to change clothes between dogs.  If you cant I would stand away so the grass is behind or drape a pale cloth over the little fence at the back.  If you think you really have a good dog you should do whatever it takes. IMO :D

I agree, I am very careful what I put on; I am even considering fluorescent hot pink trousers to show my blue girl :b . Although bright colours and my generous backside are not exactly made for each other :( :b

Since having Daisy-Belle and now Lily, I haven't been able to wear my black suits ( they are very dark brindle). I wear beige! Thats why it has been so wet in the UK (w00t)

I agree with carefully choosing the colour of clothes to complement the dog, my daughter shows our blue wearing lilac and has been complimented a number of times in write ups in her handling classes. I think the overall image is important. As you say I would not wear lilac when showing our other dog, brindle.

having a black dog, a predominantly white dog and a light brindle to show i struggle to find the right outfit, serves me right really for not sticking with one colour :lol:

i have to say that showing a black is not easy, a lot of the indoor venues don't have the light and are often packed with people wearing black or dark trousers, have black bags ringside etc which your black dog just merges into, i love going to the outdoor summer shows where Oto can shine, it might be coincidence but he has always done far better at these shows than the indoor ones.

can't beat a bit of sunshine on your black dogs back :thumbsup:

Picture_773.jpg

It's not just the clothes that the handler wears.

Blues in particular can blend into the walls of indoor shows held at leisure centers. Sometimes the floors are grey too. Thinking about the shows at 3 Counties, Houndshow and Bath & West. Those sort of places. Though maybe they have green carpets now as I haven't been to a show for years.

Juley said:
Since having Daisy-Belle and now Lily, I haven't been able to wear my black suits ( they are very dark brindle).  I wear beige!  Thats why it has been so wet in the UK (w00t)
this is the funniest [SIZE=14pt]BEIGE [/SIZE]I have ever come across

post-256-1147713298.jpg

One good thing the dog stands out against the [SIZE=21pt]BEIGE[/SIZE] (w00t) :- " (w00t)

dawn said:
Juley said:
Since having Daisy-Belle and now Lily, I haven't been able to wear my black suits ( they are very dark brindle).  I wear beige!  Thats why it has been so wet in the UK (w00t)
this is the funniest [SIZE=14pt]BEIGE [/SIZE]I have ever come across

post-256-1147713298.jpg

One good thing the dog stands out against the [SIZE=21pt]BEIGE[/SIZE] (w00t) :- " (w00t)

OK, I usually wear beige, :lol: ( I had worn beige at every other show). I'd forgotton that one, must be having an elderly moment! (w00t) . Now my face is as red as that suit! :oops: :b

i used to wear red a lot when showing dobes and manchesters.apart from making the dogs outline stand out it always goes well with the red rosette too! :- " ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back