The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Questions About Breeding..

Heffer_Nite

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone, i want to breed my bitch and i have a dog in mind but as it will be my first time purposly breeding id kinda like some info. (we as a family have had a few unplanned pregnancys in witch we basicaly left the bitches to do there thing without any interfirance, we had no hand in making them pregnant!) but iv moved out from my parents and my dog is to posesive over me to allow me to bring in a dog from the outside but she is very loanly allways having lived with her mum, dad and sister. plus she is getting really brudy. anyway after that long winded explanation i really just wanna know what sorta time people think it would be good to try to mate her when she comes in season. iv read that it should be within the first 3 and 21 days of being on heat but... well.. when do i try to do it?

Hi Heffer nite,

Most bitch's are normaly mated between day 10-15, but i've heard of bitch's that needed mating as early as day 6 or as late as day 21.

the best way to tell if your bitch is ready to stand if you dont have a dog you can try her with (both on leads under control then no accidents :thumbsup: ) is to gently run your hand down her back and gently tickle around the base of her tail, if she moves her tail to the side it's a good sign she is ready to accept a dog.

hope that helps

Thank you i do hope it works cos i think im only going to get one go at it, she a bullmastiff cross and no one will let there dogs near her cos she looks scary,lol.

thanx again :thumbsup:

Is the only reason you want to breed from her because she is broody & lonely?

Why not buy another dog?

Have you thought about what will happen to the other pups in the litter? or do u have homes lined up for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you don't mind me asking - what kind of dog do you intend mating her to being as she is a cross-breed herself? Has she had any litters before?

I think what Dawn says makes a lot of sense, if you are just wanting to breed because she's lonely, consider getting another dog.

:luck: and wellcome to K9

I hope you don't mind me asking - what kind of dog do you intend mating her to being as she is a cross-breed herself?
I was going to ask that too Jok but didnt want the post to look like the 2nd inquisition :- "

dawn said:
I hope you don't mind me asking - what kind of dog do you intend mating her to being as she is a cross-breed herself?
I was going to ask that too Jok but didnt want the post to look like the 2nd inquisition :- "

:oops: i hope it didn't sound like that, that's why i said 'i hope you don't mind me asking'. No offence intended Heffer_Nite, im just bloody nosey :)

jok said:
dawn said:

:oops: i hope it didn't sound like that, that's why i said 'i hope you don't mind me asking'. No offence intended Heffer_Nite, im just bloody nosey :)

Do not forget that these kind of dogs tend to have large litters, dozen is not unusual, which is a lot of work. (w00t) Also lot of food for the few weeks from the time the bitch is about half way of her pregnancy, through the lactation and then for the pups when you start weaning them. I used to breed Danes and I would feed about 10kg (20pounds) of meat a day over the 8 weeks.

I believe these breeds also frequently have uterine inertia, which means they do not get contractions and have to have caesarian.

I think you need to do lot more research than what day to mate her on, especially how much money to have in the bank before you mate her, and what will you do with the pups.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, no i dont mind you asking lots of questions jok thats part of posting up hear i understand. ilovekettlechips has been private messaging me about if iv found anywere for the rest of the litter and to be honest no i havent but im planning on advetising in my vet waiting room and in the news paper (as my parents did when my dogs mum had her litter) yes i understand that she mite have a large litter as her mum and gran did! this isnt the only reserch im doing iv been reading up all over the net about increased feed, how to have a good and healthy pregnancy, how she will give birth and whats normal whats not and all the complications before durin and after. she is a german shepard mix X pure bullmastiff (the people who gave us her father used him for breedin, they also gave us his mum and nan becaused all wasnt having large litter, they nearly breed his nan to death! they were not nice people..) anyway, and i do have money if she needs any vet treatment tho i am praying that she wont cos i do love her very much. And as for bringing in another dog..umm my dog is quite possesive over me, not agressive but she dose cry and get very pushy to other animals that go near me that arnt her sister mother or dad.. shes ok if she knows and trusts the animal but she would not acsept a new dog that she didnt know and id be worrid that her pushyness would turn to aggresion if the dog were there day and night.

Sorry this is such a long post i just wanted to answer all ur questions.

heather

p.s. thats lucky, my girl

Lucky_1.jpg

Oh and im planning to mate her with (now this is gonna sound odd..) a dalmation i know not for the colours cos i know her pups will take after her but because his her size but a slightly lighter build. i think the pups would look very nice, like her but less heavy. And no she has never had a litter before and after this one i'll be getting her spayed, so no more broodyness.

Heather

Heffer_Nite said:
Oh and im planning to mate her with (now this is gonna sound odd..) a dalmation i know not for the colours cos i know her pups will take after her but because his her size but a slightly lighter build. i think the pups would look very nice, like her but less heavy. And no she has never had a litter before and after this one i'll be getting her spayed, so no more broodyness.
Heather

Welcome to K9

Dallys have large litters too , and are quite slow to mature I believe , :- " so good luck with your pups , be interesting to see what they look like . Are yo mating her so you can have another dog ? if not ,why not have her spayed now to stop her getting broody , and maybe she wont be so clingy too .

Hello Jax, yes im mating her for a compainon to her. since we moved out of my parents she miss's having other dogs around and as i explained i cant bring in an outsider.

Heather

what will you do with the pups if you cant find enough goood homes for them? :they will be quite big pups and need a lot of space,food,and looking after.its a full time job looking after a litter of pups.onnly reason im asking is its usually pedigree pups that have homes waiting for them as folk know what they are and what they will grow up to be.with mongrels noone knows what theyll grow up to be so im just curious if she has a large litter what will happen to them if theyre all left on your hands and you cant home them.the rspca will take them in i suppose but its hardly fair to burden them with more unwanted pups is it? :(

As i explained we have had some accidental pregnancies and they were very large litters and we never had a problem rehoming them. i understand that many people do. But if we do happen to get stuck with some puppys my parents have a farm and they would be welcome o stay there till i could find suitable homes for them.

Heather

im sorry but dont you think there are enough abandoned cross breeds in rescue centres, without people breeding mongrel bitches- breeding is best left to people who know how and do it for the breed.

you dont know what the pups will be like, they may inherit various health problems from the mum and dad, and they're characters may vary alot between pups.

dont be upset - because this is just my sincere reaction.

Sorry about this, but I work with rescue and we can never keep up with the dogs, many end up being put to sleep. Please, please think very carefully before you bring another litter of mongrels into the world - they will be mongrels whatever you mate her to. I got to the stage where I couldn't go into the kennels to pick the dogs up that we could foster, there were just so many that I knew would be dead within a day or two.

Please - don't mate her

Ok im not upset but u have to think sensably its not just x breeds in shelters, dose that mean breeders should stop breeding pure breeds? And as for health isues the dog intended to be the dad is a pure breed dalmation, come from a dalmation breeder and as far as ur implying breeder know how to do it healthly so he should be fine and my parents own my bitches mum, dad they owned her nan on both sides an great nan from her dads mum and mums mum and all were very healthy had happy. so health shouldnt be an isue as far as anyone can tell.

heather

Ok and again i really do hear what your saying but i dont think it fair you forbid me to breed and yet incorage breeders if you seriously have a problem with overcrowding in dog shelters because its not only x breeds in there. i respect ur opinion but i do think its biased.

Heather

just a suggestion but rather than breed wouldnt your parents let her sister come and live with you? may be a better solution? i personally would think twice over breeding your girl as she does seem to have an aggressive trait which could lead to aggression in the puppies, which given the mix they would have to go to very knowledgable homes in order to prevent any behavioural problems.

welcome to k9!

>i really just wanna know what sorta time people think it would be good to try to mate her when she comes in season. iv read that it should be within the first 3 and 21 days of being on heat but... well.. when do i try to do it?

I've just had a look and this was the original question. We seem to have digressed into the moralities of breeding litters rather than just answering the original question. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back