The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Racing Dog For Sale

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Strike Whippets said:
Lurch and his tribe said:
next question (another newbie one) what stops a breeder claiming a bitch was covered by a qualified dog but infact using a non ped dog or dog that isnt WCRA approved or even just acquiring a very young pup and claiming it was from a litter of approved dogs! Are their DNA tests???

Nothing at all ......Though non peds do look very different to peddie racers ........Most lines have common characteristics (just look at Savvy, Tink, Inca, Supe and Doogan ;) ) ..........If different bloods were to be introduced a lot of people would pick up on the fact that some/all of the puppies didn't look right, then you have the whole "colour" aspect :blink: .........There are some people who think some lines may be suss, but this is normally because their dog can't beat said dog .......If there were non peds being introduced they'd be slaughtering the very fast open racers ........

At the end of the day though the non ped is the original Whippet, we are just snobby enough to think that we have "refined" them and "standardize"them into these dogs we see today .......but in all honesty we have lowered their flexibility, speed, health and diversity .....but this is just my personal opinion :- " ;)

And may i say,you are spot on,girl. ...Billy...

bullwhip said:
Strike Whippets said:
Thanks Billy  ;)   ......
simple...you would nt want a non ped in your show lines..why would ya???..but non ped blood in your pedi racer would give you that bit extra

Pardon !!!!! ......If you read this thread correctly you will see that there are dogs in the "show lines" with non peds in them :thumbsup: ..........and again if you think that a dog from abroad that actually manages to stay small enough to race will have an "edge" because he has a distant non ped relative then carry on ...........but tell me how broad do you think our peddie gene pool is ??? ......do you have a dog dying from an auto immune disease ??? ......and do you honestly think speed is the main reason to breed ??? .....Hmmmm I breed and take on the wider picture ......but this is just my own mad personal opinion :rolleyes:

beem me up snotty....yes thats all it is your opinion

i have nt been in whippets long,coming from a greyhound back ground and still have a top class racing bitch in the back garden as i speak...yea i know all about gene pools and breeding of racing dogs and show dogs:D few years back a dog called sandman was in most top brood bitches lines and in most top racing dogs,so thats when they started to import top stud dogs from usa and aussie as a direct out crosses....sadly its harder to do it with the whips because of the purity of the brood lines ...as in harolds case....and as for breeding for speed give nick savva of westmead kennels a ring and ask him what he tries to breed in his dogs or ask charlie lister why hes top open race trianer.....they both might say...... speed....and good fast dogs....after all the slowest dog dont win the race does it.....bare it i mind the next time you thinking of having a litter :cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back