The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw Diet Question

isabelle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

I have a question that might seem silly, but I've searched online extensively and couldn't find an answer.

When feeding my dog green tripe, does the weight of the green stool inside the tripe count as muscle meat or veggies in his diet?

Also, if he eats lots of green tripe, should I still add vegetables to his meal that day?

Sorry about any mistakes, english is not my first language.

Thank you!

Welcome, your English is fine so no worries there.

We have several raw feeders, hopefully someone will be able to answer.

My understanding is that green tripe has been rinsed, so the green colour is staining from the stomach contents rather than containing any 'poo' or vegetable matter. Thus it counts as muscle meat rather than veggies. It's great for dogs. Stinks to high heaven though - if you ever forget to defrost it, don't do it in the microwave, you'll regret it!

Or - just to check - are you feeding a stomach complete with contents?

My understanding is that green tripe has been rinsed, so the green colour is staining from the stomach contents rather than containing any 'poo' or vegetable matter. Thus it counts as muscle meat rather than veggies. It's great for dogs. Stinks to high heaven though - if you ever forget to defrost it, don't do it in the microwave, you'll regret it!

Or - just to check - are you feeding a stomach complete with contents?

I bought a whole lamb, the stomach and intestine were full, should I feed the contents or throw them away?

I bought a whole lamb, the stomach and intestine were full, should I feed the contents or throw them away?
Ah, sorry - I understand. I'm not sure, I'm afraid - certainly dogs can and will eat animals such as rabbits stomach and all, but there may be a risk involved. Hopefully someone else will know the answer, maybe @Hemlock ?

I think you would be best to throw them away. Although most dogs would eat this eagerly, many would also throw up afterwards - best avoided for your sake! I'd also be concerned about worms.

I think you would be best to throw them away. Although most dogs would eat this eagerly, many would also throw up afterwards - best avoided for your sake! I'd also be concerned about worms.
Okay, thank you!

Ours will eat both rinsed and just emptied stomach without rinsing. I feed this as simply a meat feed. We have never suffered from a worm problem that has been linked to eating un washed tripe. The girls will eat the contents if they have been emptied onto the lawn and not washed away quickly enough, I do not consider this a problem.
I do not feed the contents as an intentional part of their diet, none of them have ever come to any harm when they do eat the stomach and contents.

Ours will eat both rinsed and just emptied stomach without rinsing. I feed this as simply a meat feed. We have never suffered from a worm problem that has been linked to eating un washed tripe. The girls will eat the contents if they have been emptied onto the lawn and not washed away quickly enough, I do not consider this a problem.
I do not feed the contents as an intentional part of their diet, none of them have ever come to any harm when they do eat the stomach and contents.
Thanks! That's good to know. Mine really enjoys it so I'll let him eat it

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back