The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Raw Food

juliarna

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi could I just ask if anybody feeds the raw diet (including bones) to their lurcher/whippets. I feed this diet but have been told not to give the bones to these type of dogs. Help would be lovely

Thanks

Hi Juliarna,,,

Id never fed the raw diet to my previous whippets, but both my recent dogs were on the diet as puppys so I thought I would continue with it.

There is some information in FAQ about raw feeding. :thumbsup:

but... my two get raw chicken wings for breakfast

and raw beef, tripe, chicken, or lamb for tea with Burgess Mixer. They also get large knuckle bones which I get from my butcher occasionally and lamb rib bones, which they make short work of. I also mix raw veggies in with their tea, and they also get sardines and tuna as a change and even trout now and then.

its cooked bones that you shouldnt really feed your dogs, when the bones are raw, they are much easier to digest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Janimal said:
Hi Juliarna,,,
Id never fed the raw diet to my previous whippets, but both my recent dogs were on the diet as puppys so I thought I would continue with it.

There is some information in FAQ about raw feeding. :thumbsup:

but... my two get raw chicken wings for breakfast

and raw beef, tripe, chicken, or lamb for tea with Burgess Mixer.  They also get large knuckle bones which I get from my butcher occasionally and lamb rib bones, which they make short work of.  I also mix raw veggies in with their tea, and they also get sardines and tuna as a change and even trout now and then.

its cooked bones that you shouldnt really feed your dogs,  when the bones are raw, they are much easier to digest.

Thanks I don't feed anything cooked anyway. I have forgot how to put pictures on here now perhaps somebody could jog my memory and I will post some of my lurcher and whippet.

You need to resize your photo first - after pressing reply to post, press browse and find your photo file on your pc then upload to K9.

or if you want to post a lot of photos - most of us use www.photobucket.com to store photos and upload to the forum this way by using the IMG code.

Hope this helps as we would love to see some photos of your dogs. :)

copied this from help for you....

Reply to your post like normal but do not 'Add reply' at this point.

Just underneath the box where you enter your post text you will see a section called 'File Attachments'. In that section there is a button marked 'Browse'. Click on this button and browse your local folders to find the file you want to upload. This file should be .gif or .jpg. Select this file (Open), you will now return to the posting form & you should see the path to your file in the 'File Attacments' area.

Click on 'Add Reply' like normal.

A few points to note....

Files should be smaller than 75kb. If they are larger than this they will take too long for most people to download - 75kb is adequate for almost every photograph. You will not be able to load files bigger than 75kb.

Photgraphs are usually best uploaded as .jpg files.

Gif files only need to be saved at 72dpi.

The picture should be no wider than about 500 pixels - otherwise it will just end up too big on everyones screens.

You cannot see the picture if you 'Preview Post' (because it hasn't been uploaded to the server at that point).

If you do click on 'Preview Post' you will loose the file details from the 'File attachment' box & you will need to 'Browse' for your file again.

When you press 'Add Reply' it will take longer than normal to show the next screen because your picture has to be transfered to the server. Depending on the speed of your modem and the picture size this could take 30-60 seconds.

Using the method above you can only post one picture per post.

The same method can be used to attach Word documents to your post and make them available for download.

English Lo-Fi

Janimal said:
You need to resize your photo first - after pressing reply to post, press browse and find your photo file on your pc then upload to K9.
or if you want to post a lot of photos - most of us use www.photobucket.com to store photos and upload to the forum this way by using the IMG code.

Just underneath the box where you enter your post text you will see a section called 'File Attachments'. In that section there is a button marked 'Browse'. Click on this button and browse your local folders to find the file you want to upload. This file should be .gif or .jpg. Select this file (Open), you will now return to the posting form & you should see the path to your file in the 'File Attacments' area. 

A few points to note....

Files should be smaller than 75kb. If they are larger than this they will take too long for most people to download - 75kb is adequate for almost every photograph. You will not be able to load files bigger than 75kb. 

The picture should be no wider than about 500 pixels - otherwise it will just end up too big on everyones screens.

You cannot see the picture if you 'Preview Post' (because it hasn't been uploaded to the server at that point).

If you do click on 'Preview Post' you will loose the file details from the 'File attachment' box & you will need to 'Browse' for your file again.

When you press 'Add Reply' it will take longer than normal to show the next screen because your picture has to be transfered to the server. Depending on the speed of your modem and the picture size this could take 30-60 seconds.

The same method can be used to attach Word documents to your post and make them available for download.

English  Lo-Fi

Thanks I use Phot bucket. I will give it a go. Wish me luck I am hopeless :(

juliarna said:
Janimal said:

A few points to note....

English   Lo-Fi

Thanks I use Phot bucket. I will give it a go. Wish me luck I am hopeless :(

Hope these work and may have to be moved to another thread

Bertie the Lurcher

moviestarbertie.jpg

Feb0844.jpg

George the whippet

learning3002.jpg

Aww Bertie and George look lovely :wub: :wub: look forward to seeing more of them. :thumbsup:

Well done btw.. :) :cheers:

Bertie and George are :wub:

I feed all my whippets a sort of BARF diet (they do have other things like tinned Butchers Tripe or Denes tins and the Forthglade Lifestage meats as well). I do also use Burgess Supagreyhound but only as a mixer when they have tripe and a wholemeal mixer when they have lamb or beef. That's supper and then for breakfast they have either chicken necks or wings (sometimes carcass) or lamb carcass. Plus they have vegetables and oily fish occasionally and any leftovers from our meals.

We feed chicken wings/necks every day along with AMP's tripe or mixed bags of lamb/rice/tripe/vegt etc. and greyhound biccies depending on how much they have done that day. (not my old dogs tho)

They also get lamb ribs when the butcher has them - never ever had a problem and their teeth are lovely and clean 8)

juliarna said:
Hi could I just ask if anybody feeds the raw diet (including bones) to their lurcher/whippets. I feed this diet but have been told not to give the bones to these type of dogs. Help would be lovelyThanks

i have a friend who breeds italian greyhounds and feeds all her dogs on raw bones and they are fit as fiddles so i wouldn't worry too much about it just so long as the bones you feed them are not of the splintering variety ie:chicken bones,pork bones regards corinne :D

corinne.emsley said:
juliarna said:
Hi could I just ask if anybody feeds the raw diet (including bones) to their lurcher/whippets. I feed this diet but have been told not to give the bones to these type of dogs. Help would be lovelyThanks

i have a friend who breeds italian greyhounds and feeds all her dogs on raw bones and they are fit as fiddles so i wouldn't worry too much about it just so long as the bones you feed them are not of the splintering variety ie:chicken bones,pork bones regards corinne :D

chicken wings are fine if RAW :thumbsup:

Lots of info in FAQ because this subject comes up on a regular basis :) here's the link:

FAQ - raw feeding

Your dogs are gorgeous btw!! Bertie :wub:

Thankyou all so much for your replies and links. God I am more confussed now :lol: Most of it yes is common sense. There was one reply on there that somebody works at arden grange and feeds the raw diet, why is this? I may have read it wrong and can't find it again now :oops:

Thanks once again for your help.

There is so much choice out there, and with the fores and againsts it is bloody hard ;)

Years ago we never had this choice and our dogs did fine on meat and mixer. Now we just don't know what is best (well you may but I don't) :lol:

ASDA DO CHICKEN THIGHS, LEGS, WINGS AT THE MINUTE THERES A DEAL ANY 2 TRAYS FOR £3 INCIDENTLEY EACH TRAY HAS ABOUT 12 OF EACH IN !

J :luck: HN

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back