The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Really Bad Day!

~whitecross whippets~

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
today was the day my new dog emily was to be spayed and little monty was to be castrated......

to be honest i was not at all worried as they were both routine ops ....

i get a phonecall firstly to say that monty has no testicles.... :(

one is in the inguinal canal and can be felt...but the other is in his abdomen....the vet felt very unhappy to proceed with this very big operation that would involve removing the contents of his abdominal cavity to find it....so he came home ...he has to go back to the senior vet that is comin back to the practice a week on thursday to have it done....please all wish him well :sweating: :(

i realise it isnt unusual to have undescended testicles but the vet says he is sterile and at risk from developing cancer as he is nearly 1...i had waited to neuter him as he is only small... so i feel bad :(

then later on i get a phonecall to say that he could not find emilys uterus or ovaries....i only had the info given to me at the time of me agreeing to have her...which was that her season was due in november and that she was unspayed....

so the vet had to cut her open from one end to the other and look for them....in the end it was concluded that she was already spayed and that the poor dog has had a surgery far worse than any bitch spay and has been through hell for nothing....

i am of course very sad... it turns out she has had more homes than i was told...and i cannot go into detail as its all a bit of a mess....

althought the vet tried to cheer me up sayin i had took him a bitch with no uterus and a dog with no balls i am quite fed up to say the least.....

and all i have to look forward is nursing emily back to health and montys mammoth operation next week :(

Last edited by a moderator:
~whitecross whippets~ said:
today was the day my new dog emily was to be spayed and little monty was to be castrated......to be honest i was not at all worried as they were both routine ops ....

i get a phonecall firstly to say that monty has no testicles.... :(

one is in the inguinal canal and can be felt...but the other is in his abdomen....the vet felt  very unhappy to proceed with this very big operation that would involve removing the contents of his abdominal cavity to find it....so he came home ...he has to go back to the senior vet that is comin back to the practice a week on thursday to have it done....please all wish him well :sweating:   :(

i realise it isnt unusual to have undescended testicles but the vet says he is sterile and at risk from developing cancer as he is nearly 1...i had waited to neuter him as he is only small... so i feel bad :(

then later on i get a phonecall to say that he could not find emilys uterus or ovaries....i only had the info given to me at the time of me agreeing to have her...which was that her season was due in november and that she was unspayed....

so the vet had to cut her open from one end to the other and look for them....in the end it was concluded that she was already spayed and that the poor dog has had a surgery far worse than any bitch spay and has been through hell for nothing....

i am of course very sad... it turns out she has had more homes than i was told...and i cannot go into detail as its all a bit of a mess....

althought the vet tried to cheer me up sayin i had took him a bitch with no uterus and a dog with no balls i am quite fed up to say the least.....

and all i have to look forward is nursing emily back to health and montys mammoth operation next week :(

I wish you well.and good luck with your dogs

:luck:

Poor you and poor dogs...

Sending lots of :huggles: for the pair of them...and you.

:luck: with the next op for your boy...

What a rotten day for you all. We (speaking with my rescue hat on) stopped spaying bitches until they had a season, we had 2 operated on that were already "done" so made the decision to wait in future. You can only go on what you were told and you were doing the best for your dogs. :thumbsup:

I will keep my fingers tightly crossed for Monty :luck: when he goes back, but I think you will find that Emily doesn't want nursing after a couple of days - she will want to run - and run - and run!! :lol:

Oh dear,under different circumstances this would be funny! But not in your case.

Poor Emily,what a horrendous thing to have to go thru...TWICE!! I wish both her and Monty all the very best for their recoveries!(after Monty has his surgery next week) :huggles: :huggles:

Please try not to worry about it too much,as you will end up making yourself ill.I am certain all will be well and Monty is a fit and helathy young little boy. :luck: :luck:

Let us know how they get on. :thumbsup:

what a nightmare! :(

I had to go through the same with Binx as you already know, but I was more lucky (if you could call a dog with no balls lucky) with Binx as his 2 were in his inguinal canal, but it's still very upseting, and poor little emily!! :eek:

I bet your feeling a little pissed off as well as upset, having to put Monty through this! :angry: as well as having poor Emily 'done' when she has already been done! :angry:

:luck: with them both, try not to worry, I know it's hard not too but be strong for your dogs :huggles:

Good grief that's awful - what's the chances of that happening? You must have million to one bad luck.

Lots of :huggles: and :luck: for the whippies and :cheers: for you.

:huggles:

What a day you and your whippies have had! :(

It is such a shame that they both underwent un-needed surgery today. But they have both come out fine and will hopefully be back to themselves soon. :luck:

Best of luck for your lad's surgery next week, I'll be thinking on you.

Try not to feel down about it all. Remember you did this with the best of intentions and as part of being a responsible owner. These two are very lucky to have an owner taht cares like you do.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

I hope they recover well :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

What absolutely terrible luck with both dogs ... thats aweful. :(

I do hope they both recover well from their operations. :luck: :huggles:

Aw, poor you and your two whippets. What a terrible thing to happen. Poor Emily :unsure: I'm just so glad she's with you and can be looked after by her loving mum in her forever home :huggles: Good luck for Monty's op, his cousin Lola sends brindly kisses :b

Oh no that's awful! :angry:

I can't help but feel really sorry for you & your dogs.

Give Emily & Monty very gentle hugs from us. :huggles: :wub:

Good Luck for next week :luck: :luck: :luck:

Michelle, Harry & Marble

Poor you and your doggies :( I hope they are both recovering well at the moment.

My Lenny has one ball stuck in his abdomen and the other is floating around somewhere too so I know sort of how your feeling there. I hope Montys second op goes well :luck: :luck: :luck:

wouldnt the vet have noticed the scar from the first op??

seems strange?

if there was a scar he should have scanned first to see

sorry i dont know about dogs really, just a novice that is horrified by what you have been through...and probably been charged for too!!!!!!!!! :( :luck:

how awful for poor Emily to have an op uneccessarily :(

hope she's ok

Monty will be fine, at least the vet admitted he wanted a more senior surgeon to do the op, that takes balls :oops: sorry

but our friends dog had an undescended abdominal testis and he was right as rain pretty soon after, so hope your Monty will be too :luck: :luck:

Thats rotten luck kaz :( best wishes and good luck to both Emily and Monty :huggles: :luck: :luck:

I agree with Lesley, very rotten luck. :( :huggles: :huggles: :huggles: Emily will be fine I'm sure in a couple of days. :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: For Monty next week. :wub: :wub:

Hughes - Some scars heal so well you wouldn't know they were there.

blimey, that is a crappy day!

:luck:

hughes0 said:
wouldnt the vet have noticed the scar from the first op??seems strange?

if there was a scar he should have scanned first to see

sorry i dont know about dogs really, just a novice that is horrified by what you have been through...and probably been charged for too!!!!!!!!! :(   :luck:

Its impossible to see a scar as they are only about 1-2inches and soon disappear , poor Emily :( . I would have thought the vet would have wanted to know when her last season was as it does have a baring on when they shouldnt be done ei just before a season But knowing Whippets and their powers of healing she will be running about before the end of the week :luck: jackie

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back