The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Recommend A Book

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
wild whippies said:
LOL Joanna I was going to post that I was midway through reading bodydouble and it's brilliant so far!
Mo Hayder will knock the socks off you! :thumbsup:

Rae thanks for posting about Marley and me, I was tempted to buy it but suspected there may be a sad ending. I'm crap with Lassie so duno if I could hack it! :b

midway through reading bodydouble and it's brilliant (It is a good read)

Mo Hayder will knock the socks off you. (I'v enjoyed three of her books so far)

there may be a sad ending. I'm crap with Lassie so duno if I could hack it! (Neither could I)

Strange that we can enjoy murder, mutilation and torture but not manage Lassie :D

dawn said:
wild whippies said:
LOL Joanna I was going to post that I was midway through reading bodydouble and it's brilliant so far!
Mo Hayder will knock the socks off you! :thumbsup:

Rae thanks for posting about Marley and me, I was tempted to buy it but suspected there may be a sad ending. I'm crap with Lassie so duno if I could hack it! :b

midway through reading bodydouble and it's brilliant (It is a good read)

Mo Hayder will knock the socks off you. (I'v enjoyed three of her books so far)

there may be a sad ending. I'm crap with Lassie so duno if I could hack it! (Neither could I)

Strange that we can enjoy murder, mutilation and torture but not manage Lassie :D

Funny old world :teehee: I am not good with sad either! Ring of Bright Water :'( , Born Free, the animal thing just wrings me out :(

I have read the first few chapters of Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter..........looking good :thumbsup:

Joanna said:
I have read the first few chapters of Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter..........looking good :thumbsup:
There's a good example of our inconsistency. Murder and mutilation of a blind woman in a toilet (if I remember correctly) but cry at Ring of Bright Water. What I can't read are the Jack London books nor listen to Ole Yeller :wacko:

dawn said:
Joanna said:
There's a good example of our inconsistency. Murder and mutilation of a blind woman in a toilet (if I remember correctly) but cry at Ring of Bright Water. What I can't read are the Jack London books nor listen to Ole Yeller :wacko:

Absolutely Dawn. Now I have just found "The Loop" in the charity shop, about a pack of wolves. Is it very weepy and sad?, 'cos if it is, I'll stick to blind women being stabbed, mutilated and raped in a diner toilet ;)

I have not long finished Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter. It is quite gruesome and shocking in places, certainly not for the squeamish :x . A good read nonetheless, and I have booked the next in the series (Kisscut) from the library. I am now romping through Vanish by Tess Gerritsen which is actually quite different in feel from the previos four I have just read. The next in the series (The Mephisto Club) is just published this week for any fans :thumbsup:

Does any-one want my copy of Blindsighted? Free to a good home :thumbsup:

Would love Blindsighted ('cept Ive read it :D ) blindsighted reviews

Just read Lee Child's latest The Hard Way

Synopsis is:-

Late at night in a New York cafe, army-cop-turned-drifter Jack Reacher orders coffee in a cup made of foam, not china, so that he can move on at a moment's notice. He owns nothing, carries less, has never encountered a female colleague he can't bed, or a case he can't solve. But now, Reacher is confronted by a situation so disturbing and deceptive that the truth eludes him. Has he painted targets on the good guys' backs? So Reacher starts over at square one. He sweats the details and works the clues. As they used to say back in the service, he's doing it the hard way. Until, what started on a busy New York street explodes three thousand miles away in the sleepy English countryside with Reacher striding alone in the shadows, armed and dangerous, and invincible.

If you like easy going action without any need to think (if you think it doesn't make sense :D ) death, mayhem, misleading clues Lee Child is good at what he does. Totrally unbelievable but readable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also just read The Righteous Men and was very disappointed with it following the rave reviews. It is over long and just a way of making money on the tail of The DVC.

Characters were unbelievable and the whols story just did not gell.

Just finishing Mr Clarinet - now this is interesting (at least to me :D )

A PI (ex police ex con) is asked to search for a missing boy in Haiti who has long hair and wears dresses. His father is very rich with loads of 'enemies'

Mix in toton macoau voodoo etc it comes up as a readable thriller which makes you wonder how much is 'real' and how much is fiction.

Any-one read Harlen Coban, or is it Harlan Coben? :blink: Just started The Innocent.................Another thriller writer I am trying.

I have just booked Narrow Dog to Carcassonne from the library as I need a thriller rest :- " I am all gorried out and no longer shocked by blood , guts and rape.

J x

Just finished Life Support - Tess Gerritson

A readable medical thriller VERY much in the vein (pun intended) of Robin Cook (not the bearded MP)

I must say that if this was the first book of this author that I had read I would not search out any more. However having read some of the Jane Rizzoli books I much prefer these and will continue with these rather than the medical thrillers.

Not a recommendation here, but a free book (w00t)

Woolworths are doing an offer where you print out a PDF voucher and take it into your nearest Woolies, and get Martina Cole's new book 'Faceless' free! (If they have it in stock.)

Here's the link: woolies voucher

~Helen~ said:
Not a recommendation here, but a free book (w00t)
Woolworths are doing an offer where you print out a PDF voucher and take it into your nearest Woolies, and get Martina Cole's new book 'Faceless' free! (If they have it in stock.)

Here's the link: woolies voucher

Thanks Helen :thumbsup:

Have just printed it off.

I have some audio books (CDs)

I drive a lot of miles and like to listen to them, and dont get the time to read a book these days.

If anyone wants them after me let me know, good for the long show day drives.

dont know if anyones brought her up, but if you love martina cole books, i strongly recommend mandersue heller, the mancunian answer to martina :thumbsup:

No posts for ages :D

finished

The Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver - another story about this paraplegic investigator and his partner but with a new assistant making her debut in this book about a 'killer' who leaves clocks at the scene of his crimes. Well written and readable, as are all his recent books, but a few set-pieces where a sudden appearance of his team foil? the murderer just in time. An interesting twist at the end though :D :D

Tess Gerritsen's The Harvest - another readable book about harvesting organs for transplant. A few obvious errors for me (maybe its different in the US) but a readable if predictable tale.

The Grave Tattoo by Val McDermid - a different style for this well known author. Based on the premise that Fletcher Christian came back to England after the 'Mutiny on the Bounty '. FC arrives in England and talks to his old friend, the poet Bill Wordsworth. WW creates a new poem about FC and the chocolate bar but decides it is too dangerous to publish. The novel is based on the discovery of a body in the peat that 'may' be FC and the search for the lost poem. Somewhat predictable in places but all in an enjoyable read with several unexpected twists. However (as expected) the missing poem does not materialise as, if there were one, it would be big [SIZE=14pt]NEWS[/SIZE] in the real world. There is a concurrent story running through the book of FC story of whet 'really' happened in the South Seas.

Currently reading James Lee Burkes - Last Car To Elysian Fields. This is a Dave Robicheaux story. DR is based in the New Orleans area of the US. A police officer with a few problems ex Alcoholic , murdered wife - (you know the usual suspects in this type of novel) with some quite questionable friends. Enjoyable time filler.

*MARK*

Did you get any feed-back on your generous offer?

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of festive reading

The Stupidest Angel (A heartwarming tale of christmas terror) by Christopher Moore

Made me laugh,

not for kids

No Dawn I have not had much interest.

~Helen~ has just Pm'd me.

I guessed that you all must be pureists and not listen to Audio books.

My taste is not going to suit most but here are four Audio Books I have at the moment, I have some more but I will have to find them.

Andy McNab = Dark Winter,

Frank McCourt = Angela's Ashes

Dan Brown = Angels & Demons

Dan Brown= The Da Vinci Code

Im Going to Wales at the weekend if anyone interested, then when you have listened please pass them on.

Just replied on your other thread, and Pm'd (can't you tell, I'm keen!! :lol: :lol: ) Anything to while away those long hours at the ironing board :- "

just finished reading one of my xmas pressie 'hannibal rising'by thomas harris,the latest from the best selling author of silence of the lambs.this book deals with hannibals childhood/adolescence and gives a small insight into why he became what he became.though i have to say a psychopath isnt a psychopath from one event in his childhood.well not from what ive read and studied before anyway. :blink: theres a lot of shall we say 'padding' in this novel and if youre looking for action then id cut to the chase and just read the last few pages cos the rest of it isnt going to give you much excitement. -_- all in all i have to say this isnt one of mr harris best attempts.maybe the film will be better? :unsure:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back