The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescue Fund

anslinmcg said:
Have just spoken to an accountant friend and here is the conversation:
How difficult would it be to set up a charity?

It wouldn't be cheap or quick - would need to get a solicitor to write a trust deed, articles of association, etc. to form the charity which is needed to pass to the inland revenue for scrutiny to see if they will grant charitable status after they read all the stuff and then grant the status or not.

Do you have to be a charity to set up gift aid?

Yes - to receive gift aid, though companies can PAY gift aid.

Dont need a solicitor to set up a charity - I've done it already. All you need is a copy of the 'master' trust documents from the Charity Commission and then decude which type of charity you are going for- eg a trust fund. BUT - there is loads of extra work involved in this - ie 2 meetings a year of the board, submitting accounts, returns etc to the Charity Commission - is it worth it for £500? Unless we are thinking BIG, and that means a lot of time / effort form the trustees.

BTW - ahs anyone asked Nigek & Judy if they want to be involved? :- "

alfyn said:
dawn said:
~Helen~ said:
Not that you asked for my opinion, but IMO (or IMHO :lol: ) it's probably more effective use of the money to keep everything as informal as possible :unsure:
Thats what I was initially meaning!

EXACTLY! :thumbsup:

I understand that but potentially if there is going to be £2500 (w00t) money in an account everyone that has donated should be happy with the whole thing, so that it doesn't get nasty later on? (Speaking from experience here :( )

What if nothing comes along? What happens to the money? In the mean time is it in a high interest account with enough to help a dog quickly, ie £500 in an account that can be transferred straight away?

I do think it's best to agree everything before money is donated.

How about setting up an account ready - and then if / when a dog comes up we can all donate to the fund for that particular dog?

alfyn said:
Why is it that someone comes up with a brilliant,simple idea,& all of a sudden,it's turned into a complicated load of technical difficulties? :eek:   I'm sure that Dawn & I,with a bit of help from Nigel,can make this work quite easily & successfully!

You will need a way to collect the money though. Paypal is easy to use and quick to set up ( I think :lol: ). Otherwise, if someone wanted to donate, would they have to send a cheque? If that is the case, who would they make it out to? If Nigel was prepared to do it, surely it would be simpler to have a "press this button to donate" like we have for the K9 badges. Just a thought, I'll go and get the dinner on now! :lol: (w00t) :cheers:

Ok not wanting to sound negative.

but who would be entitled to recieve money from the fund? ie: would it go to someone who just needed vaccinations, dog food ect.

IMO it could be very open to abuse,

I think there would need to be very stricked rules about who could have access to money from the fund and for what reasons?

Just trying to be practicle.

I do think it's best to agree everything before money is donated.
How about setting up an account ready - and then if / when a dog comes up we can all donate to the fund for that particular dog?
another point is! if a fund is set up are people then going to go looking for dogs to help because they know money is sat waiting in which case the money wouldnt be there for very long.

Again not trying to be negative just useing common sense and looking at all angels.

alfyn said:
Why is it that someone comes up with a brilliant,simple idea,& all of a sudden,it's turned into a complicated load of technical difficulties? :eek:   I'm sure that Dawn & I,with a bit of help from Nigel,can make this work quite easily & successfully!

Presumably people are just trying to be helpful and think through all the angles before a knee-jerk reaction happens. If we - as K9 members - are going to donate, then we have a right to think the whole plan through first.

I'm going to contact Nigel later,but Dawn & I have come up with the best way to organise this so it can't be abused.We'll let you know when it's sorted :thumbsup:

It sounds very complicated all of a sudden - i can see marks point.

Maybe it could be down to one of the whippet rescues to decide the plausability of a case...the dog could be bought for the charity and rehomed or fostered with a suitable k9er... or some such control..

Oh yeah - paypal charge comission on monies recieved - cant remember what percentage off hand :wacko:

Can I offer a suggestion? Don't shoot LOL

I've read over past few days that people would be interested in JR whippet rescue having it's own website. Would / could it not be possible for this charity to have a forum within the board with a donate button? along with details of whippets available for rehoming etc? That way people can donate whatever they choose and how frequent they would like? It may also benefit whippet rescue for foster homes etc?

Great suggestion Jac.

At the end of the day theres already a very good rescue organisation for whippets, surely this would be a better option for them to get more support in theior work than setting up a new group.

I think this is a great idea :thumbsup:

but I do have a few doubts about it, firstly would ANYONE be able to ask for the money to recuse a whippet? or would there be some sort of process to go through?

I'm saying this as if a new member were to join and state that there was a whippet in desparate need to be rescued by him/her and needed £400 to get him out if the situation, but then left K9 and kept the money!

or you could get someone asking for the funds to help save a whippet and find out later that they used this money to buy a healthy new puppy or new pedigree whippet to save THEM buying it with there own money!

we would all (who wanted the rescue money) have to either put our phone-number, address, personal details, etc, on to a secure web data base, so that if someone was being dishonest we would have all the details on them, plus if someone was being dishonest and stole the money how would we recover it? would we have to prove they where being dishonest in a court of law?

as I've said I think it's a great idea but it would have to be done with the most STRICKEST of rules!! I for one would be very pee'd off if this happened!

I think Jac's idea about JR was a good one! :thumbsup: everything is already in place with an established rescue organisation.

However, if Dawn and Debs do want to start up a new charity on behalf of K9 community members, then obviously fraud is an issue. How about running it along the lines of the Heritage Lottery Fund, where any gift of money had to be matched by the person buying the dog? Then you're not actually buying the dog outright for a person, but aiding them to rescue a dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly,we are not going to interfere whippet rescue.

The whole point of this idea is if we here of a dog that needs to be got out of a difficult situation quickly,& we have to pay for it,the funds will be available to do this.It isn't always possible to get hold of jr rescue at very short notice so this is where we step in.

What we need is people we know & trust in different areas of the country that would be willing to get a dog out of a sticky situation at short notice.We can then release funds to that person.

Fair enough, I don't know enough about whippet rescue, it was just a suggestion.

Sorry Jac,i wasn't knocking your idea,in fact i think it's a good one that could be run alongside our idea.

I am with Rae on this one, I would prefer to stick my hand in my pocket to help as and when a situation occured. The idea is great, but I just would forsee problems with the administration. When little Byron was in need of a home, I would have willingly donated for him to go to the right home, same with Mysti. I am not sure about the concept of having funds ready, in dire circumstances, I think we could all rally as and when.

Just my opinion, no offence intended.

Jo

I see your point Joanna,but if i hadn't been fortunate enough to have that cash on me that day,Mysti could have ended up in the wrong hands. And who's to say that this isn't going to happen again one day?

I think possibly a list of people who would be willing to help out with funding at short notice could work. You can draw about £200 out of a cash point on debit and credit cards. Depending on the area, bet most of us would help if we could and be able to get the money together, and also I am sure a quick please donate every-one would ensure that person was repaid.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back