The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescue Fund

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
alfyn said:
.It isn't always possible to get hold of jr rescue at very short notice so this is where we step in.What we need is people we know & trust in different areas of the country that would be willing to get a dog out of a sticky situation at short notice.We can then release funds to that person.

Well that's true - look at little Holly that we have - she wasnt from JR and it works well for the chap that runs it.

Also Pheonyx had to step in and take Jake & Holly so it would be good to have a fund and a network of volunteers that could help out / foster until homes are found.

I never thought I'd say but...but I agree with Mark Roberts :p - it could be open to abuse.

Let's see what Dawn & Debs come up with :thumbsup: At the end of the day if anyone has concerns then they dont need to donate.

I haven't been on here very long, so hope I'm not 'overstepping the mark' by adding my comments. :unsure:

Someone asked earlier that what type of dog should the fund be available for, i.e. whippets, cross-breeds, etc.

If a fund was set up, or money donated, for K9'ers to help dogs in trouble, shouldn't it be for the types of dogs that forums have been set up for? :wacko:

Certainly what was needed in this situation was swift action and that's exactly what happened. Mysti is safe and sound in a loving home. I think we ought to listen to what Debs and Dawn have to report and then address the possibilities.

Jenny

Yes but who decides what is a IN NEED case? are we talking a starving i'll treated "in need" or a "o that persons selling that dog so I think it should come to me in need"

I agree that if theres a cruelty case then bring it to the attention of everyone on K9 and i'm sure it will be sorted but the could be seen as some as an easy way of getting a dog they like the look of? (as always just my opinion)

Wouldnt it be better to 1st try and work with the seller concerned and maybe try and find the breeder and make them aware of the situation as any responsible breeder would want to step in theirselves and help out in that situation (I did say responsible not all breeders)

I just see a lot of falling out down the line once dogs are collected using other members money, what 1 see's as in need another doesn't. (just my opinion)

Wrong place to post......... :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark Roberts said:
Yes but who decides what is a IN NEED case? are we talking a starving i'll treated "in need" or a "o that persons selling that dog so I think it should come to me in need"
I agree that if theres a cruelty case then bring it to the attention of everyone on K9 and i'm sure it will be sorted but the could be seen as some as an easy way of getting a dog they like the look of? (as always just my opinion)

Wouldnt it be better to 1st try and work with the seller concerned and maybe try and find the breeder and make them aware of the situation as any responsible breeder would want to step in theirselves and help out in that situation (I did say responsible not all breeders)

I just see a lot of falling out down the line once dogs are collected using other members money, what 1 see's as in need another doesn't. (just my opinion)

I think you are right, perhaps just a 'whip around' if and when a needy case is highlighted

maybe a pay pal account that members can donate into if they think a case worthy?

that way members are alwys happy with where their money has gone cos they choose the case to give it to?

Having worked with local rescue for a few years - I know how involved things become.

Wouldn't it be possible to work this through J. R. , including breeeds as agreed by K9 members - all monies used for purchase of dogs to be agreed by say 2 out of 4 nominees chosen again by K9 members?

Someone would have to keep account of the money, so ultimately a small committee would be required.

In these days of mobiles and the internet, it should be possible to contact 2 out of 4 people at short notice when needed.

Just a thought but......

Anyone reading k9 and is a member of E-Bay could abuse the system, ie put their whippet up for sale on E-Bay, knowing somone on k9 will pay for the whippet.

By anyone i dont mean k9 members, hope this makes sense.

Julie

alfyn said:
Why is it that someone comes up with a brilliant,simple idea,& all of a sudden,it's turned into a complicated load of technical difficulties? :eek:   I'm sure that Dawn & I,with a bit of help from Nigel,can make this work quite easily & successfully!

I have say,,,It will not be that easy to set up,,,,wish it was. There is some great idea's from folk and some that may not work. I have no idea about LAW or Rescue or how to go about it. That why I have said nothing before but something can be worked out if not just for the e-bay whippets that are helped. The idea of giving gift's and someone holding them,,so if a needy whippet is in need,,it will get say a coat or new bed or cage etc. Im not getting into any fights but if someone is willing to give a wee bit of advice,,,take it,,,,. :oops:

This is my opinion, it's a great idea to help out animal's that are in need of a new home for whatever reason but what is the best way to go about it. There are no easy answer's to this but the one thing that we should all have in common is the welfare of the animal concerned. But it is not as easy as having money to buy any animal who find themself's in need of a new home yes some people do this but in my opinion they are more concerned about a animal that needs a new home than their bank account and the love that any animal who ends up in their home money could not buy but what about the others who want to help but can't offer a new home. I think that rescue centres have a vetting proceedure for any new homes before they allow a new owner to take charge of any animal but that's not what is being discussed here. Is a network of foster homes going to be set up until new homes are found if so who is going to vet the foster homes then who is going to vet the new homes. And then there is the people who are going to oversee all this they need protected too and the only way to do this in my opinion is a proper constitution and rules including a mandate at the bank. I do not want to sound negative but if there is already a rescue network to help out (in this case whippets) should we not be getting in touch with them to see if there is not a way to work together to help animals such as the one that started this topic after all would it not be better to expand an existing network and tap into their knowlage than set up a new one with the same cause. Even though some on K9 might disagree with each other the one thing that we all have in common is the animal's welfare and I would like to think that if another animal found themself in need of our help we would all help if we could. Maybe I should point out that I used the word animal on porpose as it's not only dogs that need help.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back