The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Rescued Lurcher? Part Saluki? Sloughi?

wolfhound

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
On another thread I mentioned there was a dog in Dublin pound which I thought was part or all sloughi. I pulled out all the stops to get her out of there within hours of her being PTS.

She arrived here a few nights ago when it was windy and rainy....a five month old puppy! She is doing great, sharing space with two older but very small and friendly greyhound girls.

I have called her Valentine, as it was Valentine's Day when we got her out - a chain of 6 people involved in saving her, and it worked like clockwork.

She was filthy and stinky when she arrived, with some gray/black gunge all over her. Now cleaned up and very cheerful, here she is....what do you all think she is?

Here she is with my Maeve, to show you size....

ValMaeve.jpg

and here are some other shots:

Val2.jpg

Val3.jpg

Valrunning.jpg

what a lovely looking lass.glad u saved her .hope she has lots of years of being happy.

Just found this thread from the other one. She is absolutely gorgeous :wub: :wub: :wub: How could anyone have even contemplated putting het to sleep. Well done to you on saving her. I hope she finds a wonderful home very soon

Kirsty

Kirsty - First of all, thank you for your thought on the other thread (Claire too) about the whip-around -I would accept all and any donations towards her upkeep, as I only have support money for greyhounds. I could not let her get put to sleep, she seemed to have such a sloughi-saluki face/head, like Josef.

Any guesses on what she might be?

I don't know what she is but she is sooooo gorgeous! :wub: Do you have any idea how big she'll get? I suppose that's hard to say when you're not sure what she is.

I think she has a saluki face and ears, dunno about the rest though!

Last edited by a moderator:
She's beautiful, well done for rescuing her. I'd say definately saluki in there.

wolfhound said:
Kirsty - First of all, thank you for your thought on the other thread (Claire too) about the whip-around -I would accept all and any donations towards her upkeep, as I only have support money for greyhounds. I could not let her get put to sleep, she seemed to have such a sloughi-saluki face/head, like Josef.

I'll pop a chq in the post for you tomorrow MJ. :huggles:

wolfhound said:

Hi,

Can you pm me with your address and who to make the cheque out to. Not got a clue what she is, but she is ever sooooo pretty

Kirsty

Looks like maybe part sloughi to me :unsure:

Still, as long as shes not going to grow into great dane size its not really important i guess!! As long as shes happy and healthly thats the main thing. :thumbsup:

Well done to you for saving her :thumbsup: :cheers:

Thanks Kirsty and Clairej, very nice of you. Will send a pm.

I think she will grow to about 28 inches, just like Maeve the white greyhound in the photo. You know, Claire, I had Tiny in my care when he was 5 months old, and he was not as big as she is.

I will send some of the photos to a sloughi person I know and see what she says. Will let you know. More photos coming....

wolfhound said:
I think she will grow to about 28 inches, just like Maeve the white greyhound in the photo. You know, Claire, I had Tiny in my care when he was 5 months old, and he was not as big as she is.
Tiny is still really little though, he only weighs 25kg now. :wub: Claire at Whitelodge thought he might have a bit of whippet in him, but I think he is just a very small greyhound!! Mind you, he's feels like a ton weight when he sits on my knee!! (w00t) Max is a lot taller than Tiny, it's really funny watching Tiny trying to look over Max's head! :teehee:

wolfhound said:
On another thread I mentioned there was a dog in Dublin pound which I thought was part or all sloughi. I pulled out all the stops to get her out of there within hours of her being PTS.  

She arrived here a few nights ago when it was windy and rainy....a five month old puppy! She is doing great, sharing space with two older but very small and friendly greyhound girls.

I have called her Valentine, as it was Valentine's Day when we got her out - a chain of 6 people involved in saving her, and it worked like clockwork.

She was filthy and stinky when she arrived, with some gray/black gunge all over her. Now cleaned up and very cheerful, here she is....what do you all think she is?

Here she is with my Maeve, to show you size....

ValMaeve.jpg

Hiya, been around running dogs a lot of years, I would say by her eyes,ears,feet and the fact she is quite heavily boned;SalukixCollie/Greyhound. Cheers Jonnie

and here are some other shots:

Val2.jpg

Val3.jpg

Valrunning.jpg

wolfhound said:
here is a photo pf Valentine taken today:
ValFeb22.jpg

Well done on getting her out!! :thumbsup: In this last pic she definitely looks more Sloughi to me but then I have been known to be wrong on a few occasions :- " She looks heavier set than a Saluki,but whatever she is she is just beautiful :wub: :wub: and VERY lucky to have you caring for her for a while.

Good luck in finding Valentine a more permanent home :luck: :luck: :luck:

http://www.irishanimals.com/adoptagreyhound.html

it seems difficult to rehome these dogs in Ireland; do you still have Josef?

thanks for saving Valentine and I hope she doesn't have to wait long for a new home

I imagine she is a saluki cross (but maybe a lurcher can look somewhat like a saluki or sloughi without actually having one of those breeds in their bloodline?)

Yes, I still have Josef. I wonder if sloughis hav a bad reputation for some reason, or if there are simply not enough people out there interested in one - I just don't know. One person was very interested, in fact, the only person in Ireland to own a registered sloughi. But he had a strict policy of never, ever, letting a dog off leash. He had a concrete 30x40 yard with a 6 ft high fence, and daily leash-walking on a short leash - that's it for the 4 yr old bitch he's had since a puppy. I could not possibly imagine Josef living in those circumstances, particularly since his recall is so excellent. When the man came here to visit him, I took him out in the expansive fields so he could see Josef bounding and leaping along with us - but no, this did not sway him.

Regarding Valentine: I have been in a lot of contact with a sloughi expert in the US, Dominique de Caprona. Anything substantive written about sloughis has usually been written by her. She has seen the photos and is intrigued. Her first reaction was that Valetine's colouring means she is a saluki, saluki-x or sloughi dilute, which if I recall correctly means she is the result of recessive genes from both parents. The pink eyerims, pinkish-brown nose, etc, are indicators of that. This dilute rarely shows up in greyhounds since there is very little inbreeding. So if she was a saluki cross she would have to have come from a greyhound parent who passed down a recessive gene and a saluki parent who did the same. It's possible, but not highly likely.

Also, though this dilute colouring does occur in pure-bred salukis, she feels Valentine is too big-boned to be a saluki. It also occurs rarely in sloughis, which can be bigger boned, but given that two irresponsible sloughi breeders in the UK were engaged in extensive inbreeding over the past decade or even more, then this is not too surprising. Also, given that these two sloughi breeders were producing a lot of dogs, it is not unlikely that Ireland and the UK at large were the dumping ground for these dogs, since none have seemed to show up on the continent.

Having looked at a lot of puppy photos lately, many saluki-crosses by 6 months of age show some sign of feathering, and I have also noticed many saluki-greyhound crosses are more obviously part greyhound, particularly in the face/head shape.

So until Valentine gets a bit older, we don't know anything. For the minute I will say she is possibly a sloughi. I should add here that, with one exception, the UK sloughi people have more or less distanced themselves from this embarassment, and to my knowledge, have done and offered nothing to help the poor sloughis who were the result of all this over-breeding. No adoptions, no support funding, nothing. The US sloughi people have been very kind and very helpful, and if Valentine does prove to be a sloughi, there is a good likelihood of them helping to pay for spaying, etc.

Again, I put to some board members that, given the quiet over-production of sloughis over the years, there is a good chance that many dogs labeled saluki-crosses were not that at all, and that the breed is not quite as rare as the UK slougi people suggest it is.

genetic info is fascinating

if you look up the libyan desert dog thread (general dog info) there is a link to an article about rescue sloughis

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back