The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

responsible mating

Paws123

NNWRF TREASURER
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
should we bann greyhounds been mated in our whippet line...this may help reducing the size in whippets, then we could all have smaller dogs in years to come,,

not all of us want all small dogs,mmmmmm :D   :p   ;)

i agree,but so is big ;) what about 50lb greyhounds being mated to small whippets say 18lb,you never know what size youl get ???

surely if we ban greyhounds,, we may as well run pedigree's cos thats what we'll end up with ??? .

michelle xx...........not tony......i'm far more beautiful :p

rrrrrrrrrrrrrr all are beautifull but, i must admit i am partial to little uns cos they can fit in our bed   ;)   :p   :D

I currently have 2 in bed......dogs not men :p ( but i can dream) mitch is a 45lb oldie lurcher and pippa is senile/ bimboesque 33lb whippet both sleep with me and tony. it would be lethal if i had a house full of 16lbers....they'd be everywhere....beds, pockets, handbags, underware draws etc etc. We have been known to have all 10 in bed ( weights ranging from 26lb to 58lb).........but you have to be VERY DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D .

michelle again....not tony.......I've got a bigger bum :p

what a boring world it would be if everything was standard size and all the same shape.as long as they are catered for it really does not matter what size they are its the format thats wrong not the size of the dogs a little more thought is required so you have fairer racing  i dont think that the no limit should start at 40 lb there should be up to 46 or even 50 then after that no limit and also dogs should not be allowed to run in no limit races unless they are true no limit dogs to many are swopping from up to 40lb in order to gain top ten points which cant be right as your only allowed one weigh and just because there is a dog that might beat yours you swopto a different weight class this wants stopping now

Steve

Only the NWRF is run as weigh.The BWRA scratch classes are maximium weights allowed in that race - you can run a 16lb dog in the No Limit. With a 38-40lb whippet it is very easy to weigh over 40lb if you want and legitimatly enter No Limit. I have entered run as weigh No limit races with Hobgoblin (35lb Nch) and won.

No Limit racers really can`t complain about racing against LIGHTER dogs off scratch.

To ban greyhound blood/Xbreeding you will need to have written guarranteed pedigree`s of at least 3 generations or people will just cheat and run greyhound crosses anyway.

Incedently show pedigree whippets appear to be increasing in size and they obviously have no greyhound breeding (not for many years anyway)

As much as you get more racing with a little dog, a dog from 26lb to 32lb looks a lot better.

But that's just my view.

Pat you've got a lovely 31lber haven't you?

The people who are all for non-greyhound breeding name a few dogs that have no greyhound blood in them for us to mate our bitches to - Pedi's i don't think so!!!

I think this just sums it up, as far as i know from the 7 people who have replied in this topic 4 own 1/2 greyhound & 2 own 1/4 greyhound, so are we not supposed to breed off them?

I do not think that the size of your racing dog matters, as long as you can race and have fun with them, the only problem we have is that the handicap has got bigger from 28lb to 32lb in the Bwra  and 35lb in the Fed. If we are to preserve this handicap or make it back to the original size then if you want to run handicap dogs you must think before you breed and the same goes if you want scratch dogs.I also would like to say that i think steve is correct in what he is saying about the scratch racing.

:p Hi, If all running of scratch what does it matter ??? yes Vicky we have a lovely 31lber who is out of a greyhound and Micks Mystery, she sleeps in the spare bed ;) cos she stretches and scratches my back :angry: and breeding , i think u should be able to go to the dog u want, but put the weight classes down to 28lb and the rest run off at 2 ft a pound, scratch racing :p   :p   :D   ;)

Here in Canada, we're not suppose to have any crosses - or so the Kennel Club tells us.  However, CARA racing is not under their watchful eye, so we have some greyhound crosses.  AND in the US where they can't have them at all, there are still some and it's just as suggested - they are slipped into the pedigree and called whippets anyway.  I like a small dog myself, just because it's easier for me, but I think that if the dog is bred for a specific purpose in mind, and suits that purpose, then it shouldn't matter.  After all, all these "pedigree" dogs started out as a mixture anyway until someone said "no more" .

I am getting very opinionated, I think!  Apologies for this - I'm off to my quiet corner again!  

Best Wishes to All

samantha   :p   :D  :0

Agree Samantha, all the breeds today have been 'created' and many are not how the original breeders intended...just look at the poor British Bulldog, terrible health problems...just 'cos they wanted a specific look......

I seem to have stumbled on a topic I know nothing about, but am intrigued by.

I own a pedigree Coursing Whippet bitch, who is 19" at the shoulder. I have always held by the theory that Whippet Greyhound crosses are crossbreeds so are in fact one of many types of Lurcher.

If you want to breed whippets to greyhounds, you cant call them whippets anymore.....

Please bear in mind that I bear no disrespect to anyone in the Non ped racing community, I'm just curious.....so please, no barrage of insults!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back