The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

responsible mating

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Only the NWRF is run as weigh.The BWRA scratch classes are maximium weights allowed in that race - you can run a 16lb dog in the No Limit. With a 38-40lb whippet it is very easy to weigh over 40lb if you want and legitimatly enter No Limit. I have entered run as weigh No limit races with Hobgoblin (35lb Nch) and won.No Limit racers really can`t complain about racing well i have to say why if you can run a dog at any weight in BWRA  did they make pips pride run in the 40lb scr when debbie wanted to run in the no limit

also steve you are saying dog owners lift and drop there dogs into other groups for points have u ever done it...you have 2 about the same weight.

i once recall gaz lifting smurfette into 40lb src cause in the 36lb class she would of had a solo which she won easy against good dogs...

i agree with tony about racing against LIGHTER dogs off scratch.

As far as my comments about not breeding greyhounds into our whippet line was to see if we could make our dogs lighter for the people moaning about not winning anything with heavier dogs if the format of our racing was not going to be changed, you all know you dont have to say big is good to me as i love the bigger dogs and always watch the scr racing even if i dont get to see the rest of the racing at an open

yes i have dropped the bitch time down to 24lb but not to chase points  the reason i did it was so that i did not have two bitches racing against each other i dont need to travel 500 miles to do that also time has run a lot better at the lighter weight so i wont be putting her back up to 26  as far as the weight of pips pride is concerned i also would like to hear why it was the only one to have to weigh i have my own views . if i want to race one of my bitches against the other i can travel about twenty yards in order to achieve that at a lot less cost

Kev,

All non-ped`s are whippet/greyhound hybrids but then again so are all pedigree whippets - it`s simply a matter of how far back in their breeding you want to go.

We still call them whippets since they look like whippets and are used in weight handicap racing (aka whippet racing)

The larger dogs often aren`t considered as whippets by their owners, often referred to as scratch dogs.

Denise/Steve,

I`m pretty sure the BWRA were breaking their own rules over Pips Pride as the BWRA is not run as weigh. I have never weighed in for No Limit at BWRA - has anyone else? if so where? did they weigh the No Limit at champs?

:p Hi, not sure about this one as i do not have no limit dogs :p but i do know that the owner of pips pride was not allowed to run in the group that she wanted to, any one know why.............. ???   :p   :D

I can't understand why people do that (not saying this was the case with pips pride) but why do people put their dogs weight up or down to avoid a good dog - surely your better off coming 2nd to a cracking dog than winning from a class of crap!

Hi Tony

Where is your evidence that ALL whippets even pedigree whippets are Greyhound/whippet hybids?   If this is the case then pedigree whippets are no different from the non-ped whippets.

:) BTW I have nothing against non-ped whippets I had a beautiful blue non-ped sired by an Irish racing champion, just as pet for 12 years.

Dawn

If we ignore the effect of second class pedigrees here and abroad ( and the infiltration of non-pedi blood ) I still think that all whippets are essentialy greyhound hybrids

As , no doubt, you are aware whippets were around prior to the formation of the kennel club let alone the whippet section - they were all non-pedis at this time! The origin of the breed is not entirely clear but is thought to originate through racing via, perhaps, rabbit coursing. The dogs used in these events are generaly considered to be greyhound crosses.Hence, the breed origin is through these greyhound crosses.

I know Walsh believes the whippet has been around longer than this but there is little evidence to support this. Certainly there are references to greyhounds going back over 1000 years but no references to whippets prior to the 18th century.

As I said it`s just a matter of how far back in the breeding you want to go

Tony

A HYBRID is:- The offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock, especially the offspring produced by breeding plants or animals of different varieties, species, or races. So whatever cross is used it is not a Hybrid. A cross between a wolf and a greyhound would be a Hybrid. Still enough of my pedantry.

The use of any pedigree system is open to abuse as there will always be someone who is less than honest when filling in a pedigree form Tony's statement that ALL whippets are cross whippet/greyhound does have some substance but only if one goes far enough back in the breeds history. Obviously all dogs come from the same genetic source so at some stage in the breeding there will be common ancestry. What I take issue with is the implication that all current whippets are 'recent' outcrosses.

well why was PIPS PRIDE not allowed to race in the No Limits, i thought u could enter your dog to race in any group!!!!!! hmmmmmmmmmm ( whats this got to do with mating ;) you might ask lol) :p   :D   ;)

I`d say that greyhounds were geneticaly dissimilar to terriers/bull-breeds/collies et al and would say these were different varieties, all of which have been implicated in the origin of the whippet breed.I think hybdid is a reasonable term in this instance.

I didn`t infer that all current pedigrees are recent outcrosses but that pedigree whippets were originaly derived from similar types to the current non-pedi whippets and as such are greyhound hybrids/crosses.

Tony

Michelle I know you did not say that current pedi's are crosses that was Tony :D OK that is not quite what was said but the implication was that the greyhound is present in the recent past of all whippets.

All dogs are bred down from the wolf, I understand. The running dog of whatever type goes back many generations and even to Egyptian times. The names given to these dogs has varied over the years and includes the names whippet and greyhound. As it was a serious offence for any man other than the nobility to own a greyhound there developed possibly via crosses to other breeds a small version which eventually became known as the whippet. As all dogs ARE genetically very similar, as are all men (men also embrace women in this context :D ) the genetic makeup of whippets and greyhounds is virtually identical.

There were some good " hybrid " racing today at kinsley.... ;)

How about doing something similar to kennel club registering in pedigrees where both parents have to be registered in order for pups to be registered.

That is if both parents are not registered in either bwra/fed the pups couldnt be registered.

That would stop straight greyhound cross but would enable the big ens already registered to be bred with.

This eventually would bring sizes more into line and would stop GREYHOUND size whippets being classed as whippets.

JUST A THOUGHT !!!

:p what a good idea young un, (or was it your nan ;) )she will be able to tell us a few bits of  whippet history ;)   :p   :D

It was us all really when we were talking about the size issue!!

:D

Nice to see some young people taking an interest in the sport and answering  the topics on k9...... :p   :p   :p   :D   :)

Hey pat ive bin racing 16 years now admittedly not taking it all in at first bit difficult when lookin out the pram at 2 weeks old   :D   very sad my first stop from hospital was Manton WRC following in my mums footsteps she started at 3 weeks old   :D  so i possibly know as much as some of the older ones   :p have my history lessons off nan on whippets when the limilt was 28lb when regions were running the two tracks at measham and running from one side to the other   :p  Ive heard many of the stories.   :D

Hi there sadieandco i see you have mentioned 28lb limit was this just at manton or your region . We were rag racing in Lancaster and when the bwra was formed we changed over to the lure,  the weight limit of 32lb was adopted , We had very large dogs at the time, some were rough haired ,but all had to go, as the rules of the club were changed to 32lb. There was no such thing as  no limit racing in those days, and the use of muzzles was not in force, only on dogs that tackeled, plus  each dog had its own lane to run up which made training them a lot harder than nowadays, there was no seeding at all and if a dog could run it was welcome . We even had 10 bookmakers in attendance on the track and more dogs at a weekday meeting than they do at opens nowadays .  Over 100 dogs twice weekly in  graded races and the same with pups so every person had a chance of winning even the bookie now and then

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back