The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Retained Testicles

whippetgood

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Folks,

A friend of mine has two fabulous whippet brothers, they are 11 months old, one of them, unfortunately has both testicles retained, the owner has listened to all opinions and the vets generally all agree that they should be removed so as to prevent cancer.

But vets are not always right, so i was just wondering if any of you k9ers have been through this predicament with male dogs and what your general feeling is about it should you remove them? should you leave them? is there a prefered time to remove them? etc etc i have looked at k9 f.a.q which is very informative but just want to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks a million :))

Irie had one testicle retained and I have had him neutered completely.

I believe it is a safer option and I also believe there is no reason to keep

a male dog entire unless they are to be used as a stud.

In addition to this, I believe retained testicles are hereditary and therefore

a dog with this problem should not be used for stud work.

I know alot of people will feel differently, but, from my point of view, Irie has

become a much nicer dog since he had his op. He has become far more

biddable and is more inclined to listen to me as well as demonstrating much

more loyalty :thumbsup:

My opinion for what its worth.... bearing in mind i have never come across this problem with any of my dogs and having 5 out of my 7 canine friends being bitches.

i personally would have them removed. just a personal opinion based on the fact that i would make the same decision should one of my horses retain theirs.

i would however give them as much time as possible to come down.

maggiemay2 said:
My opinion for what its worth.... bearing in mind i have never come across this problem with any of my dogs and having 5 out of my 7 canine friends being bitches.
i personally would have them removed. just a personal opinion based on the fact that i would make the same decision should one of my horses retain theirs.

Hi maggiemay, yes, your opinion is worth alot! so when a horse has retained testicles you always have them removed? and are they completely fine afterwards?

jinnyfizz said:
Irie had one testicle retained and I have had him neutered completely.I believe it is a safer option and I also believe there is no reason to keep

I know alot of people will feel differently, but, from my point of view, Irie has

become a much nicer dog since he had his op.  He has become far more

Thanks jane,

So Irie had an operation to remove one testicle? do you know was it in the groin or in the abdomen? apparently when they are in the abdomen its a much more invasive precedure

whippetgood said:
maggiemay2 said:

Hi maggiemay, yes, your opinion is worth alot! so when a horse has retained testicles you always have them removed? and are they completely fine afterwards?

i personally would have them both removed. just a little more complicated than a standard castration as the vet has to find where the retained testicle is.

i know someone who has a horse with one retained testicle and one that 'dropped' on its own. hes been that way for a number of years now. i personally wouldnt keep them entire as i would be too worried if it was causing pain, discomfort, infection etc.

whippetgood said:
Hi Folks,
A friend of mine has two fabulous whippet brothers, they are 11 months old, one of them, unfortunately has both testicles retained, the owner  has listened to all opinions and the vets generally all agree that they should be removed so as to prevent cancer.

But vets are not always right, so i was just wondering if any of you k9ers have been through this predicament with male dogs and what your general feeling is about it  should you remove them? should you leave them? is there a prefered time to remove them? etc etc i have looked at k9 f.a.q  which is very informative but just want to know what everyone thinks.

Yes, they probaby should be removed - but not yet. Wait until the pup is fully grown (about 15 months when the growth plates close) and has his adult character. Removing them before the plates close delays the process so the dogs become leggier and unbalanced. If they are in the abdomen, it is quite a big op so make sure he is in excellent health before it is done and has not had any unusual recent stress. Vets usually are insistent that it should be done without delay because they are afraid the client will change her mind or change to another vet and they will lose what my vet describes as "a nice little earner" :- )

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

moonlake said:
whippetgood said:
Hi Folks,
A friend of mine has two fabulous whippet brothers, they are 11 months old, one of them, unfortunately has both testicles retained, the owner  has listened to all opinions and the vets generally all agree that they should be removed so as to prevent cancer.

But vets are not always right, so i was just wondering if any of you k9ers have been through this predicament with male dogs and what your general feeling is about it  should you remove them? should you leave them? is there a prefered time to remove them? etc etc i have looked at k9 f.a.q  which is very informative but just want to know what everyone thinks.

Yes, they probaby should be removed - but not yet. Wait until the pup is fully grown (about 15 months when the growth plates close) and has his adult character. Removing them before the plates close delays the process so the dogs become leggier and unbalanced. If they are in the abdomen, it is quite a big op so make sure he is in excellent health before it is done and has not had any unusual recent stress. Vets usually are insistent that it should be done without delay because they are afraid the client will change her mind or change to another vet and they will lose what my vet describes as "a nice little earner" :- )

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

Hi Gay,

yes, for me this is the crucial thing , the exact time to do this operation, as its so invasive

i have heard that if its to be done the dog should be about 18 months anyone in agreement with this?

moonlake said:
whippetgood said:
Hi Folks,

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

I agree with Gay.

We have a dog with a retained testicle. He is almost 2 and hasn't been castrated yet. He will be done at some point in the future most probably but don't feel in any hurry at all. Yes they can become cancerous but it doesn't happen when the dog is still young. I think vets often put the fear of god into people that the dog is going to die of cancer if they're not operated on asap - when this isn't the case at all.

Personally i don't believe dogs should be neutered until they have reached maturity. Iwouldn't do a dog before 18 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
jok said:
moonlake said:
whippetgood said:
Hi Folks,

Gay

www.moonlake.co.uk

I agree with Gay.

We have a dog with a retained testicle. He is almost 2 and hasn't been castrated yet. He will be done at some point in the future most probably but don't feel in any hurry at all. Yes they can become cancerous but it doesn't happen when the dog is still young. I think vets often put the fear of god into people that the dog is going to die of cancer if they're not operated on asap - when this isn't the case at all.

Personally i don't believe dogs should be neutered until they have reached maturity. Iwouldn't do a dog before 18 months.

Hi ya,

yes me too, i agree with you and Gay i will pass all opinions onto the owner :thumbsup:

whippetgood said:
jinnyfizz said:
Irie had one testicle retained and I have had him neutered completely.I believe it is a safer option and I also believe there is no reason to keep

Thanks jane,

So Irie had an operation to remove one testicle? do you know was it in the groin or in the abdomen? apparently when they are in the abdomen its a much more invasive precedure

Yes, one testicle removed from his groin area and the one which had descended normally was castrated normally.

He was lucky in a way as the undescended one was very close to the surface and could be seen and felt so the surgery wasn't at all invasive.

But he was unlucky in another way as he was totally out of control hormonally and couldn't be kept with my bitches happily. This is why I decided to have him neutered at an early age. It didn't matter if the girls were in season or not, he had completely lost the plot and tried to hump everything that moved (w00t)

He couldn't retain any weight and was constantly fretting and worrying so it was kinder to get it sorted ASAP :thumbsup:

jinnyfizz said:
whippetgood said:
jinnyfizz said:

Thanks jane,

Yes, one testicle removed from his groin area and the one which had descended normally was castrated normally.

He was lucky in a way as the undescended one was very close to the surface and could be seen and felt so the surgery wasn't at all invasive.

But he was unlucky in another way as he was totally out of control hormonally and couldn't be kept with my bitches happily. This is why I decided to have him neutered at an early age. It didn't matter if the girls were in season or not, he had completely lost the plot and tried to hump everything that moved (w00t)

He couldn't retain any weight and was constantly fretting and worrying so it was kinder to get it sorted ASAP :thumbsup:

Yes, i believe that when the testicle is in the groin its a much easier affair but i think the dog in question has a retention in the abdomen, hes an absolutely gorgeous boy and he does'nt show any unsettled signs like wanting to hump everything or pacing but naturally its a huge concern for the owners who love him and his brother so much.

I think the general consensus is that yes, this operation should be carried out but not before 18 months when he is fully matured and better equiped to handle such an operation.

Obviously Jane, you had to have Irie done as he was displaying very unsettling signs and not holding weight.

whippetgood said:
jinnyfizz said:
whippetgood said:
jinnyfizz said:

Thanks jane,

Yes, i believe that when the testicle is in the groin its a much easier affair but i think the dog in question has a retention in the abdomen, hes an absolutely gorgeous boy and he does'nt show any unsettled signs like wanting to hump everything or pacing but naturally its a huge concern for the owners who love him and his brother so much.

I think the general consensus is that yes, this operation should be carried out but not before 18 months when he is fully matured and better equiped to handle such an operation.

Obviously Jane, you had to have Irie done as he was displaying very unsettling signs and not holding weight.

:thumbsup:

whippetgood said:
Hi Folks,

Thanks Rachel

We have taken your advice and cancelled the operation.

Teddy sends his thanks also!

You are the boys guardian angel.

Bryan and Anne

anne payne said:
Thanks Rachel
We have taken your advice and cancelled the operation.

Teddy sends his thanks also!

You are the boys guardian angel.

Bryan and Anne

Hi Bryan,Anne,

Well as you can see the general feedback is wait and Teddy is so precious to you and i love him so much ,we got to give him the best shot :thumbsup:

I am always there for Teddy and Buttons :))

Give them both great big kisses from me and Finbarr and Anthony xxxx

we have one boy retained ,vet advised us not to remove them,leave them alone .they can go inside and never find them .if they do go cancarous they are usually benign.and in a whippet if it does occur you can tell by the swelling and they are then easier to find .in 25yrs of being a vet he as only had to do 2.so we will take his advice and leave alone.hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
controversial said:
we have one boy retained ,vet advised us not to remove them,leave them alone .they can go inside and never find them .if they do go cancarous they are usually benign.and in a whippet if it does occur you can tell by the swelling and they are then easier to find .in 25yrs of being a vet he as only had to do 2.so we will take his advice and leave alone.hope this helps

Thanks so much for that controversial its very helpful

have pmed you

Rachel

Just to say thank you all for your feedback, it has been extremely helpful :))

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back