The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Retractable dog leads

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Meeting someone with a dog on a Flexi-Lead is my worst nigthmare most not all are on mobile phones or have no idea what their dog is doing, they wonder all over peoples gardens even trying to get in the road or running at my dog, who doesn't like that sort of rude behavior. They are OK for off road walking when you can't let your dog off lead, but not for street walking.

My worst experience was with a dog on a training line. We were in the park playing ball and a woman with a young dog on the longest line I have ever seen started to approach. I told her that Misty is scared of excitable dogs and asked her to keep her dog away. This then turned in to this dog running round and round me and getting us all tangled, Misty going mad because she was scared, and the woman not having any control as the line was ridiculously long! We recovered from that and moved to the other side of the field only for it to happen again!!

I use a 3 metre tape retractable and in two years he has never got tangled with anyone. The secret is in the retractable bit. We keep it short unless we are out where there are few people and dogs. I have been knocked over twice by excitable loose dogs and tripped up by three small dogs, all of which could have been avoided if said dogs were on some sort of a lead.

Meeting someone with a dog on a Flexi-Lead is my worst nigthmare most not all are on mobile phones or have no idea what their dog is doing, they wonder all over peoples gardens even trying to get in the road or running at my dog, who doesn't like that sort of rude behavior. They are OK for off road walking when you can't let your dog off lead, but not for street walking.
As I said on the next comment, the flexi does not need to be out full all the time.
Also I carry my mobile phone with me for safety but don't use it unless needed.
Was out once without phone and passed out in the street. Luckily a passer by had the sense to look at Dudleys collar and phone my husband. He apparently just sat by me.
Mobile phones and retractable are fine if used sensibly.

As I said on the next comment, the flexi does not need to be out full all the time.

Mobile phones and retractable are fine if used sensibly.

Yes you are right but from what I can see 9 out of 10 owners have no idea how to use them safely, it's as if they are walking down the road and the dog is nothing to do with them.

Yes you are right but from what I can see 9 out of 10 owners have no idea how to use them safely, it's as if they are walking down the road and the dog is nothing to do with them.

Fact 9 out of 10 humans dont have the sense they were born with that goes across the board ..From retractable leads, to aggressive dogs, to dogs left in hot cars, to dogs being given stupid homemade cures for serious illness. The problem is not in the tool its in the user.

Those who are staring at the phone while walking the dog are most likely the ones who stare at the phone while driving , this doesnt make cars or phones a bad thing just the idiot using them. Sadly theres no law against stpuid so we just have to put up with them but please dont blame the tools when actually the user is at fault.

I was going to also add that those 9 out of 10 owners aren’t the type of owners to join a dog forum in the first place either!

Fact 9 out of 10 humans dont have the sense they were born with that goes across the board ..From retractable leads, to aggressive dogs, to dogs left in hot cars, to dogs being given stupid homemade cures for serious illness. The problem is not in the tool its in the user.

Those who are staring at the phone while walking the dog are most likely the ones who stare at the phone while driving , this doesnt make cars or phones a bad thing just the idiot using them. Sadly theres no law against stpuid so we just have to put up with them but please dont blame the tools when actually the user is at fault.

I use my phone when I walk Dennis and I’d like to add that I do NOT use it whilst driving. So I think it’s unfair to class them all as idiots.

@Josie sorry didnt mean to lump you in with the idiots but so many use the phone as a way of avoiding poo picking, its like 'oh well this call is soooo important I cant pick the poo' or 'I was so busy with my call I didnt see it...

To train your dog to walk on a lead, you can’t beat the good old fashioned lead. I’ve never used anything but.
Retractable leads teach the dog nothing apart from bad manners.
As for harnesses - to stop pulling- the front leading harnesses are best. I use ‘Walk your dog with love.com’. I’ve recommended these to many people and they are more than pleased with them. They are much kinder than the halty - around the nose - type things and probably more effective.

I totally agree with training using the old fashioned lead, a flexi is of no use for this purpose.
I do not understand how the "Halti" is not a kind option, if used and fitted correctly I consider it as a very gentle means of restraint.
A head collar that is used on a horse or pony is not considered as unkind, it works just the same way! It leads from the head, beneath the jaw.

They are much kinder than the halty - around the nose - type things and probably more effective.

I wouldn't use a Halti as they can ride up by the eyes but I do use a Dogmatic head collar they are very gentle round the dogs head, very easy to keep your dog under control without causing him/her any stress

This is where the Halti's are fitted incorrectly! They should rest over the nose loosely and not tightened up so much that they cut up tightly beneath the eyes. It works most effectively when fitted loosely.
They are not intended to lead from beneath the throat. The neck strap always drops down the neck, it does not need to be tight behind the ears.

As this thread is specifically about extendable AKA retractable leads or leashes, I want to add the caution that NO HEADCOLLAR should ever be used with a long-line, a retractable, or an extendable lead!

This information is prominently posted on most packaging, & often the warning is repeated on the instructions, but instructions often go right into the recycle bin [or sadly, the trash], unread -- so putting it here can't hurt. ;)

For all those who know better & would never do this, I apologize wholeheartedly, but this isn't "obvious" to everyone, & I'd never want a dog to be injured b/c I was too embarrassed to add a warning. :( The potential price of silence is too high.

- terry

This is where the Halti's are fitted incorrectly! They should rest over the nose loosely and not tightened up so much that they cut up tightly beneath the eyes. It works most effectively when fitted loosely.

I found how ever well they are fitted they can still move up to the eye. I had one for Amber and it was always moving, thank goodness we found Dogmatic when we had Dillon easy to use never moves and last well.

Different styles suit different dogs. I found a Gentle Leader worked well for Jasper. I have mixed feelings about them though - it really did help me control him if he lunged or try to drag me, but there's a danger of it wrenching a dog's neck round when it lunges and doing real damage. It's a bit like marlin fishing (not that I've ever tried that) - you have to allow just enough play to control the dog but stop them putting a sudden force on the lead, and that takes practice and constant awareness of what your dog's about to do.

Different styles suit different dogs. I found a Gentle Leader worked well for Jasper. I have mixed feelings about them though - it really did help me control him if he lunged or try to drag me, but there's a danger of it wrenching a dog's neck round when it lunges and doing real damage. It's a bit like marlin fishing (not that I've ever tried that) - you have to allow just enough play to control the dog but stop them putting a sudden force on the lead, and that takes practice and constant awareness of what your dog's about to do.

But shouldn't you always be aware for what your dog is doing, especially when training it to walk nicely.

I found the dogmatic easy to use and it didn't cause any problems for Dillon who is a very big, strong, can be stubborn and powerful dog.

For well over a decade, there was a standing offer by the inventor of the Gentle Leader [who happened to be a vet] to reimburse the cost of any medical Tx for a dog with a neck injury CAUSED by a GL, WHILE using it properly - no long-lines, not tied to a fixed object, no extending leashes - plus a lump-sum of money, i think it was $10-K.
Of course, the injury had to be corroborated by a vet - not self-diagnosed.
No one ever collected. // I don't know if the offer still stands; the original maker has since been swallowed by another manufacturer.

None of the dogs I've handled on a Flexi, & none of my clients' dogs who wore one, were ever injured by it - other than one dog who was badly introduced to it, then had it LEFT ON for much-too long B4 he was habituated; he scrubbed the nose-loop up & down his nose with his paws till he made a friction-burn on the crest of his nose, about 2.5-inches long by 1/2-inch.
He was a thin-coated Coonhound, & the scab peeled off, the hair re-grew, & he was fine in 2-weeks time. [The scab was there when i met him.]
We re-introduced the GL, this time properly, only going forward as he grew accustomed, & in another week he wore it as if it wasn't there, using a lightweight leash.
That's one of the things many ppl don't think of - the double-thick 6-ft long leash with a bull-snap that he'd worn previously was completely unnecessary with the GL, & was far too heavy on his foreface! U don't need hefty hardware or extra-heavy leashes on a GL; they're overkill.

- terry

But shouldn't you always be aware for what your dog is doing, especially when training it to walk nicely.

Fair point - though dogs built like lurchers can lunge like a kite in a swirling gale, changing their direction faster than a person's reactions. And occasionally, when you think it's safe to mooch along admiring the clouds, a cat or a squirrel can appear from nowhere...

LfL, it's interesting that there's been no recorded damage from GLs (and presumably similar devices) - and as I've just read, if you watch dogs playing tug and shaking their heads from side to side, those necks must be able to withstand some force!

I wonder if they are as comfortable for general 'mooching' walks. J is very good on lead in that we can both wander along in our own little worlds and if he's distracted by an interesting smell he can wander over to it and when I feel the tension on the lead I just follow him... in effect we take it in turns to lead the other! But I wonder if he'd find it quite as comfortable to 'lead' me if he had a head collar on. I don't know. (BTW, this does have its down sides when we're walking on pavements and he veers off to sniff the rubbish in the gutter but I hold on more firmly then - it works for us.)

I've had dogs "lead me" while wearing GLs, it simply means going with the dog vs directing the dog, & they aren't hauling me, just aiming their noses at what intrigues them. :D
So long as they're on a loose leash, not lunging at another dog nor dragging me into the street, or otherwise threatening someone's safety or doing something undesirable, I'm perfectly amenable to being directed on an ordinary walk [not one with a set goal, such as a timed appt at the vet, tho].

My dogs, & for that matter, my horses, were allowed to choose directions on a regular basis, for walks or rides. :shrug: Unless we needed to be somewhere or had a definite task to accomplish, I'm not a dictator. ;)

- terry

I’ve also used them for about 30 plus years and never had any problems, we used to be able to let our dogs off on Epsom downs in the mornings , which is a wonderful huge open space , but recently , due to some dogs getting in the way of the race horses training , we now have to keep them on leads before 12 noon and the long leads are perfect for letting them have some freedom, so much room up there we hardly see another dog so no probs with tangled leads etc.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back