Run as weighed

Should opens be run as weighed ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Personaly I think the 1/4lb allowance should be abolished as the electronic scales are invariably correct.
I agree!!!! BUT then people would have to go out & buy digital scales :D (w00t) :D (w00t) is now a good time to put my price up?? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly say that whenever i've weighed in at a bwra event or a club open using digital the dogs have been EXACTLY what i expected, after weighing them on my own!!!

eta. Also before having digital, my dog would run dead on the weight (ie 30lb & not 30 1/4lb) in fear of being "out".

In my opinion the 1/4lb weight allowance should stay as I have stated before we should allow for a margin of error on the scales as not everybody has digital scales. I use digital scales and zero them with the bag on and then press the hold button so that the weight stays on the screen when you lift the dog off. But this function is only usefull if the dog stays still as if you have a nervous dog that trembles when on the scales (this could be especailly true) when a stranger weighs them in at a open the weight flickers up and down on the scales. So if you have a dog that is 30lb exactly and it trembles on the scales at a open and it is impossable to get a steady reading at some point the reading will go above 30lb and with no 1/4lb weight allowance it will have to be put down as 31lb.

NO PROBS HONEY BEE I DO THINK THE DIDI SCALES GIVE A RIGHT WEIGHT ..IF THE BAGS WEIGHT IS TOOK OFF

The reason why people run out of their weight class is simply because THEY CAN!!!!!!!!!! (w00t) and unless the rules are specifically changed to prevent this,it will and has, always happened. I am really enjoying this topic and this is what the Forum is about .A great place for open&Frank exchanges of views. Keep them coming :thumbsup:

PERSONALLY I DONT LIKE THE ELECTRONIC DIGITAL SCALES THE REASON BEING 1OZ OVER COSTS YOU A YARD ;) ,AND NOT EVERYBODY CAN AFFORD TO BUY THEM, ;) BRING BACK THE OLD SCALES:thumbsup:

PERSONALLY I DONT LIKE THE ELECTRONIC DIGITAL SCALES THE REASON BEING 1OZ OVER COSTS YOU A YARD
Yeh but even if you use the old type, if your 1oz over the 1/4lb allowance you should be up a pound anyway.

:D

my scales are digi and only cost £3o.00 they were from my dads fishing mag but they always tally with the digi,s at the meetings . VERY REASONABLE

debbie

John its not the one ounce that cost you its five as it stands, nearly half a pound !thats why the quarter should be done away with!

Steve

kipper fluke said:
John its not the one ounce that cost you its five as it stands, nearly half a pound !thats why the quarter should be done away with!Steve
Totaly agree.

The weight limits are in effect plus 1/4lb since anyone under the weight plus 1/4 gets to run. 1oz over and you move up a class so why not just weigh to the full pound. If your scales are more than 1/4lb out they need throwing away.

Tony

I like the 1/4 allowance :D Also like the Digital Scale's :D .

I also like 1/4 pound allowance.

Whippets steal (as came up in the drug testing matter with regards to dogs picking things up and eating them) so that extra 1/4 allows for naughty dogs.

Also as before mentioned a dog wiggling or trembling in the weight harness can make it heavier or lighter.

Also ... have u tried this trick ? Put the weigh bag an dog dead level on the scales and it weighs 'x' THEN lean the weighing bag forward so the dog leans forwards, in my experience with various sets of scales (digi and dial) the dog now weights 'x' + 1/4 ... NOW move the bag the other way so the dog hangs backwards ... hey presto the dog weighs 'x' less a 1/4 ...

Hmmm .....

You'll all be coming online calling me a liar now :eek:

Susan Weir just tried it with one of her dogs and he was same all 3 times :wacko:

But honest it did happen on 3 different sets of scales (2 digi and 1 dial)

Come on though own up who has had the scales out to have a go :))

Like Fleesh said I tried my digi scales out on Ricky and all 3 time's his weight was the same, but in the forward posision he fell out the harnes and ran off :(

It shouldn't make any difference what angle the dogs at because it's still the same weight no matter how its hanging in the harness. I might try that though the next time i stand on the scales!!! :D

I have had dicky weights when my battery's been going though!

As I have stated before I like the 1/4lb weight allowance. We can have as many scales as we want but unless they are reguarly calibrated by an authorised body can we really be sure that they are accurate? In my opinion there is enough pressure on people running opens without the person on the scales having to put a dog up a weight class because the scales flicker over the dead weight. The 1/4lb allowance is probably for a margin of error on the scales not so that racers can have their dogs at +1/4lb but if racers choose to have their dogs at +1/4lb and the scales flicker over the odd 1/4lb at the weigh in they should accept this and move up to the next weight.

We are not too keen on the digital scales reason being the other year we raced one of our dogs at the local club and was told she was over her weight limit, so off we went and walked some weight off her, we weighed her on our scales( not digital)low and behold when we went to the champs her weight was completely wrong.... we have never had trouble with the dogs weights with the ordinary scales :angry: plus we got three sets of them grrr

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back