The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sad News

Winslow Mum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello everyone. This is just a note to thank everyone for all their help and advice, but to let you know that our family will not be getting a whippet. I found a beautiful home-reaered litter with lovely pups. We were all set to go. Unfortunately, after visiting them with the children, my eldest girl had a massive allergy attack. Ths has never happen with whippets before, so it came as a bit of a shock, but I can't risk it.

Again, thank you all for your help and support -- you are a wonderful community.

Sorry to hear this news but obviously your childrens health is the most important thing. You must all be so dissapointed.

Is ther anything you can do to desensitise (sp) her?

Debbie

So sorry to hear about this, you must all be so disappointed. Best that it happened now and not after you all had a puppy home and bonded with it though, as having to send it back would have been even worse. :(

Hope your daughter is all right now :huggles:

oh no! im so gutted for you :(

are you sure it was the whippies?

better to find out now though if it was :(

:huggles: :huggles:

Debbie Reed said:
Sorry to hear this news but obviously your childrens health is the most important thing. You  must all be so dissapointed.Is ther anything you can do to desensitise (sp) her?

Debbie

So sad :(

I've heard another case of this not long ago, desensitizing for allergy can be quite a drama, but if your daughter could be desensitized wouldn't that be great for her in the future

All the best

Last edited by a moderator:
How disappointing for you - so so well done though for making the right decision for daughter and dog - Such a tough decision for you to come to though :thumbsup:

So sorry... :( that must have been so disapointing for you all.. :huggles:

Winslow Mum said:
Hello everyone.  This is just a note to thank everyone for all their help and advice, but to let you know that our family will not be getting a whippet.  I found a beautiful home-reaered litter with lovely pups.  We were all set to go.  Unfortunately, after visiting them with the children, my eldest girl had a massive allergy attack. Ths has never happen with whippets before, so it came as a bit of a shock, but I can't risk it.
Again, thank you all for your help and support  -- you are a wonderful community.

Oh that is such a shame ... you must all be very disappointed but, as other's have already said, better to find out now than after you had brought a pup home. Maybe another breed will work out better for you ... I think poodles have a different kind of fur and might not cause allergies - I always think they look like they might have similar personalities to whippets too (not based on any actual knowledge of the breed ... just that their wee faces look full of character). One last thought - your GP would be able to refer your daughter for allergy testing - a small blood test will confirm that the allergy is definitely pet hair or rule it out. Probably wouldn't be arranged in time for the litter you have already seen but might be good to know for the future. All the best, Jill :)

It's not a guaranteed cure - nothing ever is - but acupuncture (particularly 5 element/TCM - in this instance avoid the 'British Medical Acupuncture' form), can radically reduce the allergic response

worth a try, I'd have thought, unless she's needle-phobic

good luck

m

Eceni said:
It's not a guaranteed cure - nothing ever is - but acupuncture (particularly 5 element/TCM - in this instance avoid the 'British Medical Acupuncture' form), can radically reduce the allergic response

good luck

m

Always enjoy reading your very informative posts Dr.

It's so good when professionals are willing to pass on handy info.

Oh no how terribly disappointing for you.

My sister in law and niece suffer with allergies with other dogs but has always been fine with our greyhound, whippet and IG x Whippet.

Are you sure no cats or other breeds were in the house?

xxx

Eceni said:

good luck

m

Would this work for all allergies? My daughter has an allergy to something but we can't get to the bottom of what it is - have ended up in casualty twice but the blood test didn't reveal anything (could only test for suspected allergens so we tried everything obvious but never got to the bottom of it).

Jill

x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back