The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

'sanctuary' Kills Thousands Of Greyhounds

:( that's outragous :rant:

i have just read that :( we have been to that place a couple of years ago , dont know if any one else has been but when you go in you pay, i think at that time it was a £1 which we dont mind as it all goes to the up keep, now this story coming out,it makes you wonder?,we have a wonderful animal sanctuary near us called bleakholt, which takes in cats,dogs,horses & they rely on donations.

Well i don't agree with that at all, but if they have no room what else are they supposed to do and not EVERY dog can find a new home.

Rescues in the area have been aware of this block at Leigh for some time - but no-one could get into it to find out what was going on. Obviously it is now in the open and our worst fears are confirmed.

Sighthoundlover I think you have missed the point. Yes, we all know that there are too many dogs and not enough decent homes for them, but this "Sanctuary" have been charging people £40 to take their pet dogs off them, assuring them of a new home and then slaughtering the poor dogs (There is no need for drugs to be administered in that way unless the veins are collapsed.) God knows how people will feel now, they have thought that they were handing over the dogs to a loving rescue and now they will never know if they are alive or dead. It is inhuman for both the dogs and their former owners.

I hope the VET who runs this DUMP rots in hell.

Completely shocking that a sanctuary does this work as a "side-line". I can see that raising funds would be an incentive, but I think it is morally outrageous to call yourself an animal sanctuary and kill fit, healthy young dogs for profit :rant:

This place may call itself a Sanctuary, but it is not a charity, it is a business and exists to make a profit.

It has the pound contract for 7 local councils, which means it has to hold stray dogs for 7 days in case they are claimed, after that time it can do as it likes with them. Anecdotal evidence suggest that Leigh rehome (ie sell for upwards of £200) the cute/fluffy/pedigree dogs and all others are pts the minute their 7 days are up. They will not work with local rescues to pass on dogs for rehoming.

Dogs which are handed in can legally be pts straight away, as they will obviously not be claimed. People may think in good faith they are handing in their dog to be rehomed but the reality could be quite different if the dog isn't deamed sellable.

And sadly this story once again shows that huge numbers of retired greyhounds don't end their days living the life of riley on someone's sofa, as the industry would have us believe, but are disposed of by the easiest/cheapest means possible as soon as they stop earning their keep.

this place is just down the road from us and i go past it once or twice a week on my way to manchester.i cant believe this has been going on. :( how on earth have they got away with this for so long?i know they charge for taking dogs in and for buying dogs too but i always thought it was for the upkeep of the dogs at the home that you paid to take them in or out.i hope they all rot in hell who run this place.also is it legal for a layperson to put a dog to sleep?i thought a vet had to do it or at least be present.if so i hope the persons putting dogs to sleep are prosecuted as a warning to others.this should only be done by a vet as the consequenses of it being done

wrong and the animal suffering doesnt bear thinking about.id also like to know how an animal 'sanctuary' can be a business rather than have a charitable status?hope the people who take their greyhounds there to be put to sleep to save a few pounds rot in hell too. :angry: i really feel for the people who in all innocence have taken their pets there to be 'rehomed' as after reading this ill bet they have a few sleepless nights :(

This really is nothing new - rumours have done the rounds about leigh cats and dogs home for years. A trainer i know of has taken greyhounds there to be put to sleep no questions asked. Makes me really cringe that 2 years ago Ella ended up there after going missing overnight - god knows what could've happened.

Vicky said:
This really is nothing new - rumours have done the rounds about leigh cats and dogs home for years.  A trainer i know of has taken greyhounds there to be put to sleep no questions asked.  Makes me really cringe that 2 years ago Ella ended up there after going missing overnight - god knows what could've happened.

OMG What a lucky escape for Ella! :huggles:

clairej810 said:
Vicky said:
This really is nothing new - rumours have done the rounds about leigh cats and dogs home for years.  A trainer i know of has taken greyhounds there to be put to sleep no questions asked.  Makes me really cringe that 2 years ago Ella ended up there after going missing overnight - god knows what could've happened.

OMG What a lucky escape for Ella! :huggles:

it amazes me that there is no duty on animal sanctuaries/pounds/whatever to take ANY STEPS AT ALL to find out if a dog/cat belongs to anyone. Dij is chipped, but they don't have to scan him......the onus is on me to locate him and i only have 7 days to do it in. Fair enough if he's still in the area, but if we were away from home when he got lost - people who found him could take him absolutely anywhere. What if he ended up at a little out of the way place without a well publicised number? What if he was stolen and taken a long way away?

If he got run over and the council had to collect his body - i would be lucky if they scanned him to find out if anyone needs to know, i could spend my life not knowing.

the thought that Ella passed through this place must be making you come out in cold sweats Vicky ........ and the thought of somewhere like that billing themselves as a 'santuary' :rant: Surely at the very least the Trades Descriptions Act has been breached.

part of me thinks that they should stop destroying healthy dogs ...but the other part of me thinks that the fate of these animals may well be worse if they stop providing this service.

its all very sad really :(

its back to the same old story isnt it?too many dogs chasing too few homes.i can see why they say dont breed or buy while healthy dogs die :(

michelle said:
part of me thinks that they should stop destroying healthy dogs ...but the other part of me thinks that the fate of these animals may well be worse if they stop providing this service.
its all very sad really :(

that's true michelle, we've all seen the horror stories of what happens to these unwanted dogs when their 'owners' can't be bothered to pay for them anymore

ive just seen the interview with the owner of leigh cats and dogs home.she said the public shouldnt be blaming them,theyre just providing a service,she says the public should be blaming the greyhound owners.they also interviewed a guy from the grey racing commitee and he said they were unaware of this going on and that anyone doing this wouldnt be welcome at their tracks.does he think all greys are retired to kind loving homes?is he on the same planet as the rest of us?we all know its going on.its just that lately its getting a lot of publicity.and rightly so i say.the more the public are made to be aware of the end that faces some greyhounds then maybe the government will be pressured into passing some legislation about this awful crime against these beautiful,gentle hounds. :( as for vickys Ella id be thanking her guardian angel for looking after her ;)

All I know about Leigh is that they don't do home visits & therefore let any :rant: walk in & take any dog home right away. In my line of work I have been asked to take in & rehome numerous cats & dogs that have originally come from Leigh & have turned out to be totally unsuitable for the people allowed to take them. An example would be the lovely old lady whose family decided she really really needed a young border collie to keep her company (w00t)

The poor lady struggled on for weeks, not wanting to upset her family, she really did love the dog but never really wanted him in the first place, she had mentioned maybe getting a small, older dog but Leigh had allowed them to take this young collie no questions asked :rant:

I took the dog & he was rehomed to a more suitable person :D after a homevisit but reading all these stories, maybe he had a very lucky escape after all.

Leighs "homing policy" is non existent -"Got the money? - Got the dog." about sums it up. We have re-homed 3 dogs within the last month that originally came from Leigh, again, lovely people completely unsuited to the dogs they got. Not only is it very upsetting for the people who have to re-home the dog, it quite often puts them off ever getting another rescue dog.

If Leigh were providing such a wonderful service to the Greyhound fraternity, why was it kept so quiet?

Leigh have more to hang their heads in shame about than just the Greys, how many pet dogs were PTS when their owners had signed then over in good faith (and with a "donation") expecting them to be re-homed? The answer will never be known. How would you feel in their position?

kris said:
ive just seen the interview with the owner of leigh cats and dogs home.she said the public shouldnt be blaming them,theyre just providing a service,she says the public should be blaming the greyhound owners.
See to me this is just passing the buck, if they liased with greyhound rescue and other charities some dogs could find loving homes and probably appropiately vetted ones at that. Wonder if they'd pass on the £40 that they'd taken for the dog though :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back