The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Saturday 9th February

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
sarah j said:
I think I am going to gradually change his food over to Red Mills? He is currently on Bakers.  :- " I don't think I overfeed him and he goes on a walk/run everyday with a huge run on either sat or sun, so the weight thing concerns me a little.  :b But as you say, as he gets older and fitter it should come off. It would be great if I could trial him again cheers.   :cheers: What time would you reccommed we arrive?  :thumbsup:

Thanks Again

Sarah

hard to give a time for this Sunday depends on how many dogs enter but if your coming to watch the racing should start approx 1-15 trialing will be as and when we have a break probably around 2-30 ish

Last edited by a moderator:
Fleesh said:
My old girl Connor's Lass used to race on Bakers Complete, she loved it  :))
At the moment Bakers is the only food I can get Jack to eat but he is quite podgy in comparison to the other whips I saw on Saturday. It is odd as he gets plenty of exercise. It may be that I am feedin him a little too much, :b but it could also be that Bakers has got a lot of fat content (I don't know, I was told this). I can only try and see if he adapts to red mills and see if the weight comes off. Unless anyone else has any suggestions as to which food is best.

Thanks weathergirls, Think we will be along to see some of the racing and just hang about for the trials to take place.

sarah j said:
Fleesh said:
At the moment Bakers is the only food I can get Jack to eat but he is quite podgy in comparison to the other whips I saw on Saturday. It is odd as he gets plenty of exercise. It may be that I am feedin him a little too much, :b but it could also be that Bakers has got a lot of fat content (I don't know, I was told this). I can only try and see if he adapts to red mills and see if the weight comes off. Unless anyone else has any suggestions as to which food is best.

Thanks weathergirls, Think we will be along to see some of the racing and just hang about for the trials to take place.

our Tillie will not touch red mills so she was reared on bakers chicken (wouldn't eat bakers beef either) with mince steak and pasta tried slowly to introduce one of the other racing feed the only one she will have is ALPHA

SHE'LL EAT SARDINES IN TOMATO WITH PASTA ANYTIME

Sarah, firstly no-one can declare your dog as overweight by comparing it to dogs seen last Saturday. There was a combination of non-ped racing dogs, pedigree racing bred whippets and pedigree whippets from show breeding, like my own. My dogs won't reach the handicap racing weights of their fellow racing bred pedigrees and doing so would hinder their racing ability. They race at the weight that gives them the best performance and always will.

Dogs that are racing competitively in weight handicaps may have owners who are focused on their dogs weight, whilst I appreciate their concerns, this shouldn't be a concern to you or your dog in my opinion at this moment in time.

It's hard as a newcomer, you get lots of advice and opinions on what's best to do, my advice is listen to everyone with an open mind, weigh up the advantages and disadvantages and do what you alone think is right for you and your dog. :thumbsup:

sarah j said:
Fleesh said:

Kerri was a 22/23lb racer when she was younger (19" to the shoulder but please bear in mind a lot of Non-Ped and Pedi race breds appear to be slightly "lighter in the bone"). She ate just short of one mug full per day, which doesn't look a lot I suppose as the pieces of food are quite large compared to most complete race feeds. Bakers has a lower protein level that race food which will probably suit your lad for the moment as he doesn't have the intense physical activity levels of the racers so doesn't require the same quantity of protein for his recovery.

I personally am not a fan of Red Mills, mine ate it as pups (6-9mths) to get rid of the leftover sack that I took the then two adults off :b . Then went onto Bakers until around 12mths like their kennelmates did :teehee: .

That is so funny, Jack won't eat the beef Bakers either. How very odd.

Thanks Wild Whippies, It was my own thoughts that thought Jack was overweight by looking and possibly comparing his size to the other whippies. :( I didn't really know what to expect, and when I did arrive, he seemed quite a bit bigger then most, with exception to the lurchers). I didn't know that there are so many different 'classes' of Whippet. Me, being a newcomer thought 'ok ped racing dog, non ped racing dog, same size different speeds'. Not quite so black and white as that is it :oops:

I tend to read here on K9 and listen to people with an open mind. I like to listen to all opinions and maybe try and test myself. I am a bit concerned about his weight, but as he is 7 months at the moment, am sure I can run it off him. I am not sure when they stop growing? But thanks, keep the advice and reccommendations coming, I will listen, read with an open mind, everyone is different and has their own opinion which is to be respected. :thumbsup:

Sorry fleesh, must have posted at the same time. I am still getting to know the physical attributes off different 'purpose' bred whips, but it will come. I feed him roughly the same amount as you , 1 mug, he is I think around 20" tts, and not really sure about his weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF HE'S ONL 7 MONTHS OLD YOU DON'T WANT TO BE PUSHING HIM TOO SOON ESPECIALLY ON THE BENDS SARAH HE WILL STILL GE GROWING AND MATURING FOR A WHILE YET JUST BRINGING HIM TO WATCH AND THE OCCASIONAL SLIP UP THE BACK STRAIGHT IS PLENTY I.M.O. DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT HIM CARRYING ALITTLE WEIGHT EITHER AT THAT AGE

weathergirls said:
IF HE'S ONL 7 MONTHS OLD YOU DON'T WANT TO BE PUSHING HIM TOO  SOON ESPECIALLY ON THE BENDS SARAH HE WILL STILL GE GROWING AND MATURING FOR A WHILE YET JUST BRINGING HIM TO WATCH AND THE OCCASIONAL SLIP UP THE BACK STRAIGHT IS PLENTY  I.M.O. DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT HIM CARRYING ALITTLE WEIGHT EITHER AT THAT AGE
I took him as I have said to Westhoughton on Saturday and Vicky kindly hand slipped him down the straight. He had 2 runs and appeared to take to it. I think if he manages a trial or 2 on Sunday, they will be just down the straight as well. I think Vicky said gradually taking him back a little further each time, over time :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back