The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scottish Champs

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
len said:
In my opinion the blue dog in pic 4 is falling out of the trap!!!!
It could well be falling out, but I don't think it's anything to do with the trapping or the lure position, especially as the dog isn't actually looking at the lure. (larger shot below)

There's also another point to consider, that being traps that have rear wheels on that some dogs may not be used to using. Whilst the height difference from the ground may only be an inch, when a board is added to these traps, there will be an increase in angulation that could be an effector in a dogs trapping.

Traps vary across the country with length, width, height, angulation and speed of the doors opening all being variable. Whilst an experienced racer may well have a perfected technique of trapping, their technique won't work well consitently purely for the reason that the traps used aren't consistent in their structures.

Of course, giving your dogs the experience of running out of a particular tracks' traps is a wise move and I think it'll be interesting next weekend to see how these dogs perform. :thumbsup:

trapping.jpg

outthetraps said:
question.why does scottish championships not have equal runs ?
Maybe cos thats just the way its run - not all meets have to be run to the equal run format :wacko: sorry nowt to do wi me should wait for organisers to reply but not every format has to be exactly the same and some clubs don't do the equal run thing. :wacko:

sadieandco said:
outthetraps said:
Maybe cos thats just the way its run - not all meets have to be run to the equal run format :wacko: sorry nowt to do wi me should wait for organisers to reply but not every format has to be exactly the same and some clubs don't do the equal run thing. :wacko:

ye wait for the scottish they will av answers

outthetraps said:
Well this year we finished racing at roughly 6 o'clock last year was closer to 7, if you want to stand out til midnight by all means do so but you knew the format before coming up, I for one hate to stand and watch solo after solo.

We dont have equal runs as it is an event that is ran by Kirkcaldy Club it is therefore ran to Kirkcaldy rules.

Hope this helps

Val

Also gone back and re-looked at pictures of dogs coming out of the traps only one picture where you can see the traps all opening and this is the one with Azure Blue can see where it may look like there is a slight differance in opening time, however have went back to other pictures of trapping dogs at other opens and the differance on Saturday was minimal compared to some. Our traps are not machine operated therefore ther will be slight discrepancies as at any club as for the speed they open at I havent looked into this. when we go to opens we know before we attend that there is no STANDARD traps,lure, track etc we just go and take what we get.

However we at Kirkcaldy club work hard all year on track lure traps to make sure that all that attend our events have a good couple of weekends racing we never say its perfect however next to some that I have attended in the past I would say we do a good bloody job.

Anyone who has any suggestions and would like to help make things better for ALL racers we will be there this weekend feel free to have a word.

As always Kirkcaldy WRC would like to wish all who attend Derby the best of luck and for those of us who are not lucky enough to win we hope you enjoy your racing and time spent with us if you do then OUR work will be worth while

Val

stormy weathers said:
outthetraps said:
Well this year we finished racing at roughly 6 o'clock last year was closer to 7, if you want to stand out til midnight by all means do so but you knew the format before coming up, I for one hate to stand and watch solo after solo.

im thinking of the dogs not the people standing bored off there tits. do not think its a fare deal when dogs have 1 or 2 runs more than others omo.thought whippet racing was all about sportsmanship. :rant:

Funnny how a while back the same person was moaning bout having to do equal runs but now you got a pup that has to run heats your all for them mmmm :blink: :blink:

As said before Kirkcaldy club run even Kirkcaldy club rules :cheers:

stormy weathers said:
Funnny how a while back the same person was moaning bout having to do equal runs but now you got a pup that has to run heats your all for them mmmm  :blink:   :blink: As said before Kirkcaldy club run even Kirkcaldy club rules  :cheers:

and were av i said that then val and with wot dog?

ALL I CAN SAY IT WAS A GREAT DAYS RACING...NO-ONE COMPLAINED AT THE TIME ABOUT EQUAL RUNS BUT YOU CANT SATISFY EVERYONE..SAYING THAT I THINK ALL WHO TOOK PART ENJOYED IT .. AND IT MADE A CHANGE FROM THE NORMAL FORMAT..WHICH I THINK PERSONALLY TAKES TO LONG AND SO DOES A FEW PEOPLE IVE SPOKE TO ... SAYING THIS IS THERE ANYWAY WE CAN SPEED UP SOLOS??? EVEN MAKING DOGS THAT HAVE TO DO SOLOS RUN ALL AT THE SAME TIME THUS SPEEDING UP THE EVENT??? IT'S DEFENTLY SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT...ANYBODYS ELSES VIEWS ON THIS....

My Personal opinion is equal runs is a waste of time, yeah there are always some who might have to do heats and cross heats but maybe only 1 class so for the sake of this 1 class you then have maybe 10 solos to do. makes the day seem a hell of a lot longer.

I know your saying its not bout ppl being bored at watching solos but how many ppl go home and not watch finals because there is so many solos to go through first???????? Therfore the atmosphere for the finals is not there.

Karen-Coral said:
They are brilliant pics as usual Jac's 
The two middle traps look to be a bit  slow compared with the red one --the naked eye would probably miss that but shows what a good camera can pick up ---

some very close finishes where camera was needed also --

great weekends racing and plenty of folk attending which helps

steve

I never put this comment on as a criticisms or to cause any bad feeling merely as a observation as to how good the pictures have been --in seeing what you miss with the naked eye ---

steve

in 1983 when me my dad won first scots derby there was no solo runs it was luck of draw you are doing a good job there will allways be a few moany now 25 years on im on my way up on friday to derby to run in the yearling with one dog 6 hours traveling and look forward to it keep it up win or lose we will have a goodtime. PS IT USED BE A BIG OPEN IN KIRKCALDY THEN KEYHOLE KATE OPEN AND BITCH ARE CAN REMENBER WAS BLACKHEATH LADY ANY REMENBER THESE NAMES

dart said:
in 1983 when me my dad won first scots derby there was no solo runs it was luck of draw you are doing a good job there will allways be a few moany now 25 years on im on my way up on friday to derby to run in the yearling with one dog 6 hours traveling and look forward to it keep it up win or lose we will have a goodtime.  PS  IT USED BE A BIG OPEN IN KIRKCALDY THEN KEYHOLE KATE OPEN AND BITCH ARE CAN REMENBER WAS BLACKHEATH LADY ANY REMENBER THESE NAMES

blackheath lady if i mind right was owned by jame,s brown (rangy),,,won title on the bends,,

ahorsnall said:
len said:
Great pics again :D   how many dogs fell out of the traps :blink:
all from the white and black traps but the lure is still on the left so id say traps pulled to soon as you can see all dogs heading to the left as the lure hasnt cleared front traps?

my mistake as you see on full pic you are right jac the lure is further forward than appeared on the 1 st pics it was not ment in any bad way .just what it looked like on the pics :D and val i thought you was good so did you forget to not order the wind lol :D

I don't think anyone was being critical, they was genuine comments which had come about purely for the reason that I'd cropped the photos. If K9 and the internet could cope, I'd routinely post full sized images so people could have a better perception. As I can't, I don't mind when racers have any specific queries about any photos and will forward any unedited versions to those who are interested.

I like to think the majority of whippet racers all have the dogs best interests at heart and no-one could fault individuals for such camaraderie :thumbsup:

Quite a few heats came out and headed to the left this was purely due to the wind blowing the lure over I know we try to do our best for everybody but I am afraid we are no mirical workers and therefore cannot do anything about the weather Im afraid but if we could we would lol

Sandra

I agree most of the replies were genuine opinions the comments about the traps looking slower did make me go back and look and they did look slower also about the positioning of the lure the wind etc all geniune comments. However the comment about if the traps were any slower we would have been as well coming out the back of them in my opinion is not helpfull.

Anyhow the photos as always were great and hope you get some good ones this weekend.

Val

the opinion about traps being slow,,,,,, mmmmmmmmm

how many time,s has the track records been broken this year already compared to last year traps , mmmmmmmmmmm ( i supose the next opinion will be old traps were slower too ) :- "

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back