The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scottish Derby Info

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
opps double post

Last edited by a moderator:
i didn't over react either,i got good friends and close family who are true travelers,not knobs like them lot,i was ready and packed to go after the racing whether they were there or not,but all the people i spoke to couldn't wait to get the hell out of it,them lot are like a time bomb waiting to go off and they wouldn't fight one on one either,its a bloody mass battle,i am pleased nothing happened :thumbsup:

well thankfully nothing did happen and thankfully they didnt manage to get on the field any earlier. so all is well lol

well thankfully nothing did happen and thankfully they didnt manage to get on the field any earlier. so all is well lol
thankfully carol lol,,oh and well done you two :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: welldone everyone at scotland another cracking year looking forward for next year and hope to see the irish back cracking people and a goodnight saturday night after pub close best night of the weekend hope to see shane and family and lads next year always nice to meet new friends and see old friends too role on next year cant wait lol

well done all winners

:thumbsup: welldone everyone at scotland another cracking year looking forward for next year and hope to see the irish back cracking people and a goodnight saturday night after pub close best night of the weekend hope to see shane and family and lads next year always nice to meet new friends and see old friends too role on next year cant wait lol

well done all winners

we were one of the last caravan to leave,the pikeys kept them selves to them selves :))

Big well done to the winners & dogs that took part in the big event of the year,thank you to arthur & the team for making this event happen :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

first would like to thank all the committee for the hard work they put into this event think its been 1 of the best 10 day for the weather we'v had with some great racing well done all the winners was really impressed with Shay and Kath's josh who we all love,kennys Fly Baby she ran brill for you Zeus and Skoshi Tiger both out the same litter making the final they both ran brill, jim's Sky's Lad put in a great run 1 to watch, really pleased with megan (cracked the ice) mading the derby final over the moon with her also Archie (Bound by) making the puppy final only having his first race the week before,on to George and vals outstanding bitch moose (insane jane ) cant really add to what everyones already posted she's a brill bitch well done to both of you, next would like to thank my mate Karen for going over to my house and sending the right awning poles after tony packed the wrong ones :wacko: your a star and we all missed you this year :thumbsup:

transit2011.jpg

Scottish consulation supreme pup winner Jakki Whizz with her dad Jack the Lad still alive and kicking :)) well done Carole and Peter :thumbsup:

i didnt over react john i dont mind real travelers and know a few off them but the van that kept racing up and down to our van and shouted go on f off out of hear were not nice or decent folk

that was me gaz lol (w00t)

its a shame they put the dampers on the last night as pub was empty and its normally the best night but still had a gd drink with john chappy n piget :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the well dones we recieved with Moose (Insane Jane) we were over the moon with her for both weekends, I am glad that everyone enjoyed their ten days up in Scotland even the weather was good for everyone this year, there were a lot of really close races and a few new dogs which will turn out to be Derby Finalists in years to come.

I agree it was unfortunate that the traveleers did arrive on the Sunday afternoon to make some of the racers feel uncomfortable and making folk leave earlier than they had planned, however the travellers did only arrive late Sunday afternoon so they were not the ones responsible for bags of dog crap left in shower area or at the trap area - this was done by whippet racers - I have also unfortunately been witness to some unpleasnt fights at dog racing when whippeteers get a few too many beers on board and been forced to leave presentations etc. as I felt uncomfortable. So although I do not condone what was done by travellers perhaps we need to look closer to home and think if the travelling communities make us feel uncomfortable by the way they behave, what kind of message do we give out to the way a few of us treat the facilities lent to us to enable us to enjoy our sport?

Thanks again to all that attended this years event look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Val

well done all the winners had agreat 2 weeks again this year as allways nowt to run myself another 3 weeks before my 2 will be back but still enjoyed the crack great weather as well

great to meet up with Shane and the gang from Ireland great sports hope you had a safe journey back we are looking forward to coming over in March think the 1 van is now upto about 3 :teehee:

Well done and thanks to the Kirkcaldy team for another great DERBY :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the well dones we recieved with Moose (Insane Jane) we were over the moon with her for both weekends, I am glad that everyone enjoyed their ten days up in Scotland even the weather was good for everyone this year, there were a lot of really close races and a few new dogs which will turn out to be Derby Finalists in years to come.
I agree it was unfortunate that the traveleers did arrive on the Sunday afternoon to make some of the racers feel uncomfortable and making folk leave earlier than they had planned, however the travellers did only arrive late Sunday afternoon so they were not the ones responsible for bags of dog crap left in shower area or at the trap area - this was done by whippet racers - I have also unfortunately been witness to some unpleasnt fights at dog racing when whippeteers get a few too many beers on board and been forced to leave presentations etc. as I felt uncomfortable. So although I do not condone what was done by travellers perhaps we need to look closer to home and think if the travelling communities make us feel uncomfortable by the way they behave, what kind of message do we give out to the way a few of us treat the facilities lent to us to enable us to enjoy our sport?

Thanks again to all that attended this years event look forward to seeing everyone again next year.

Val
hiya val and well done again

not guilty for the crap left laid around, and haven't seen many fights either,i have been going to the pubs nearly every night at all the events and seen very little.

what happened fight wise up there like?apart from the idiot travelers speeding about i seen nothing :wacko:

you must pm me :thumbsup:

From An Article In Todays Courier

Feuding travellers invade field and ruin Scottish Whippet Derby
The jewel in Scotland's whippet racing calendar at the weekend after gypsy travellers tore through the venue.

Competitors and spectators, fearing for their safety, left after Sunday's finals of the Scottish Whippet Derby in Kirkcaldy.

Doubts have now been expressed as to whether the popular event will ever be held in the town again.

The derby, hosted by Kirkcaldy Whippet Club for 16 years, attracts racers from across the UK and Ireland and is a welcome money spinner for the area's economy.

This year's championships on Randolph Playing Fields began on Saturday, July 23, and were being hailed as the best ever until trouble flared on finals day.

It is believed the travellers began fighting among themselves somewhere on the A92 in Fife, before continuing their battle at the edge of the playing fields.

Despite attempts by police to stop them, around 15 caravans were then driven at speed through the gate and onto the field.

Kirkcaldy club secretary Arthur Cook said people had felt intimidated and were terrified young children attending the event could be hit by the vehicles.

The travellers have since moved on after being threatened with legal action by Fife Council, but Mr Cook said he was so angry he was considering stopping the derby.

"I'm actually thinking about packing it in because it's hard enough to organise without something like this happening," he said.

Caravans

"There were 10 finals to go when there was this huge rumpus and a lot of caravans came tearing into the field."

Competitors, who traditionally camp or stay in caravans on the field during the week-long championships, packed up and left as soon as the travellers pitched up.

"This was really bad. They were fighting on the main road outside and although they didn't come onto the track, they came right into the field," Mr Cook added.

"They drove across the field and unhitched their caravans. We had a lot of young bairns there and people were frightened for them so they decided to leave rather than risk trouble.

"People were saying this was the best derby ever and the weather had been great, but sadly I don't know whether we will be able to have it next year because the sponsors are not happy."

Mr Cook contacted MSP David Torrance in the midst of the trouble and said he arrived around 15 minutes later to try to sort it out.

Mr Torrance yesterday called for a change in the law to stop travellers disrupting the community.

"When they arrive on sites illegally they should be evicted straight away," he said. "They leave a mess, which the council has to remove, and last time they damaged the pavilion and left chaos behind them, including a burnt-out caravan.

Ruth Gibson, lead officer for Fife Council's gypsy traveller service, said the travellers had moved on on Monday evening following a visit by the site manager and the police.

"Legal action was being raised and they had been informed about that," she said.

The jewel in Scotland's whippet racing calendar at the weekend after gypsy travellers tore through the venue.

Competitors and spectators, fearing for their safety, left after Sunday's finals of the Scottish Whippet Derby in Kirkcaldy.

Doubts have now been expressed as to whether the popular event will ever be held in the town again.

The derby, hosted by Kirkcaldy Whippet Club for 16 years, attracts racers from across the UK and Ireland and is a welcome money spinner for the area's economy.

This year's championships on Randolph Playing Fields began on Saturday, July 23, and were being hailed as the best ever until trouble flared on finals day.

It is believed the travellers began fighting among themselves somewhere on the A92 in Fife, before continuing their battle at the edge of the playing fields.

Despite attempts by police to stop them, around 15 caravans were then driven at speed through the gate and onto the field.

Kirkcaldy club secretary Arthur Cook said people had felt intimidated and were terrified young children attending the event could be hit by the vehicles.

The travellers have since moved on after being threatened with legal action by Fife Council, but Mr Cook said he was so angry he was considering stopping the derby.

"I'm actually thinking about packing it in because it's hard enough to organise without something like this happening," he said.

Caravans

"There were 10 finals to go when there was this huge rumpus and a lot of caravans came tearing into the field."

Competitors, who traditionally camp or stay in caravans on the field during the week-long championships, packed up and left as soon as the travellers pitched up.

"This was really bad. They were fighting on the main road outside and although they didn't come onto the track, they came right into the field," Mr Cook added.

"They drove across the field and unhitched their caravans. We had a lot of young bairns there and people were frightened for them so they decided to leave rather than risk trouble.

"People were saying this was the best derby ever and the weather had been great, but sadly I don't know whether we will be able to have it next year because the sponsors are not happy."

Mr Cook contacted MSP David Torrance in the midst of the trouble and said he arrived around 15 minutes later to try to sort it out.

Mr Torrance yesterday called for a change in the law to stop travellers disrupting the community.

"When they arrive on sites illegally they should be evicted straight away," he said. "They leave a mess, which the council has to remove, and last time they damaged the pavilion and left chaos behind them, including a burnt-out caravan.

Ruth Gibson, lead officer for Fife Council's gypsy traveller service, said the travellers had moved on on Monday evening following a visit by the site manager and the police.

"Legal action was being raised and they had been informed about that," she said.

i am in talks with the council and top o the toun pub and with the police to resolve matter

Last edited by a moderator:
first would like to thank all the committee for the hard work they put into this event think its been 1 of the best 10 day for the weather we'v had with some great racing well done all the winners was really impressed with Shay and Kath's josh who we all love,kennys Fly Baby she ran brill for you Zeus and Skoshi Tiger both out the same litter making the final they both ran brill, jim's Sky's Lad put in a great run 1 to watch, really pleased with megan (cracked the ice) mading the derby final over the moon with her also Archie (Bound by) making the puppy final only having his first race the week before,on to George and vals outstanding bitch moose (insane jane ) cant really add to what everyones already posted she's a brill bitch well done to both of you, next would like to thank my mate Karen for going over to my house and sending the right awning poles after tony packed the wrong ones :wacko: your a star and we all missed you this year :thumbsup:
your a star and we all missed you this year

Why was it too quiet? :lol: I missed coming too,but enjoyed my break in Dorset.No probs about the 'poles'.We'll make a check list for Tony next year :thumbsup: Big Congratulations to everybody,sounds like there was some fantastic racing :thumbsup: As usual i've got my special congrats,and they are for (drum roll :lol: ) Kenny and Fly Baby,really chuffed to read she's coming back to form Kenny :thumbsup: my mates big girl Megan.All your hard work is paying off :thumbsup: and not forgetting little Archie :thumbsup: George and Val with the fantastic Moose,there was no way she was gonna let that Derby title leave Scotland.Congrats to you both :thumbsup: and last,but certainly not least,to Decca,Sean and Shay :thumbsup: :thumbsup: chuffed to bits for you both.

Caravans

i am in talks with the council and top o the toun pub and with the police to resolve matter

nice one thank you for adding this,,i'm in noway bothered about this lot but its the kids,as you all know i have a disabled daughter

and she was crapping herself if shes scared and dont want to attend a venue thats us knackered we cant come

and we wont be stopped by a bunch of thugs who call themselves travelers,they not travelers they are people that turn up on fields go around ripping people of then move to another town and **** another load of people off they make my blood boil.

if there was one or two of them they wouldn't say boo the knobs the lot of them

anyway its not good reading it mars our sport and i will say nothing else about it

i just hope it doesn't put new people off our sport as i have heard theres a few wont be coming to anymore of our events!!!

so thanks to them knob heads they might of lost us new members in our already dieing sport

thats my rant over :angry: :angry: :angry:

and again thankyou for putting this on here :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back