The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scottish Derby

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:) hear your dogs running great, realmadyid and would be nice to see you here so get yourself up to bonny scotland,

Macha said:
kipper fluke said:
Might be wrong but I'm sure everyone will dive in if I am- :clown: I think anyone can run at the Derby-providing the dog looks like a whippet lol-no labs,  alsations or rough haired mongrals-

(no pre-qualifying necessary)- :blink:

Run to Scottish club rules....

Might be different  for the Scottish Championships..though...

I'm on holiday all month and have time to travel so I rang organiser Arthur Cook to enquire.

He says you have to be a member of an affiliated organisation and he said my lurcher (looks like a whippet except that he's 24 inches at the shoulder and nearly 50 lbs) wouldn't be eligible and my young whippet would need to be trialed before being allowed in the races. I think the whippet would do okay in trials but can't be 100% sure, the temptation to go is that I have so few opportunities to race whippets in Ireland and there would be 4 days of racing before the actual Derby (Sat, Sun, Wed, Sat). The Derby is on the last Sun of July and is only open to dogs who have qualified in previous heats.

as I said I'm tempted, so if there is anyone who can help me out re travel and/or accommodation, please p-mail me

Last edited by a moderator:
ocsar said:
Macha said:
kipper fluke said:
Might be wrong but I'm sure everyone will dive in if I am- :clown: I think anyone can run at the Derby-providing the dog looks like a whippet lol-no labs,  alsations or rough haired mongrals-

(no pre-qualifying necessary)- :blink:

Run to Scottish club rules....

Might be different  for the Scottish Championships..though...

I'm on holiday all month and have time to travel so I rang organiser Arthur Cook to enquire.

He says you have to be a member of an affiliated organisation and he said my lurcher (looks like a whippet except that he's 24 inches at the shoulder and nearly 50 lbs) wouldn't be eligible and my young whippet would need to be trialed before being allowed in the races. I think the whippet would do okay in trials but can't be 100% sure, the temptation to go is that I have so few opportunities to race whippets in Ireland and there would be 4 days of racing before the actual Derby (Sat, Sun, Wed, Sat). The Derby is on the last Sun of July and is only open to dogs who have qualified in previous heats.

as I said I'm tempted, so if there is anyone who can help me out re travel and/or accommodation, please p-mail me

you have to quaifily on the saturday to race race in the derby semis and finals and if your lurcher has whippet in it and looks like one it should be able to run

QUALIFYING-

By my ref to 'not having to qualify' to poster-ALBA

I was referring to 'how racing used to be- in years gone by'-where dogs/bitches had to qualify over the year before being allowed to run at Championships etc-

Qualifying for the region etc..

Any whippet can now compete providing its registered-experienced on the bends if applicable and not totally green on the track :x

Obviously-you must qualify/get through your heat/s on the Saturday of the Derby event to be put through into the final held the next day-

Macha-If you lived a little closer-you would be most welcome here at Lancaster to trial your small whippet-

You could always get the ferry across to Heysham-10 mins fom Lancaster....

I don't think your 50lb er would fit in our traps lol

I like Kirkcaldy very much for a short break....seafront-shops-Kart racing-swimming pool-cinema- etc

Close to St-Andrews too which is beautiful and well worth a visit-

Karen

i think kiss my arse for the yearlings go geordie

Last edited by a moderator:
kiss my ass is running well strong outsider thou for yearlings due to her diffrent training method rabbit killing machine lol :lol:

Good luck to all, i hope Pems Lad is injury free, if he is he has a brill chance, also watch out for Nazs Warrier, he is only 2 n half and is making a name for himself ( ofcoarse i am biased these two are out of my dog Wonderwall! :- " ) so have a good time cheers Neil :cheers:

wat u running biddy in george???? she must have a chance were ever she runs i hope oscars pride does well and i hope little rascal does aswell!! shud be a cracking weekend if it isnt ill try my best to make it 1!! :oops:

I think there is lots of dogs running very well at present oscars pride colorado drama queen also biddy hope who ever runs there dogs do well and comes off safe

I probably am going to come by train and camp for the week so I'll be looking for extra blankets and towels when it rains

Can someone lend me a fiddle/violin and bow in okay condition? for any part of the week (esp non-race days). I'm serious. I want to practice a bit, maybe busk, but I have to carry backpackers tent and sleeping bag & other essentials on my back, walk the hounds and wheel their crate :sweating: so I really couldn't bring a fiddle from home with me.

GOOD LUCK to all , may the best win on the day. And all the others have fun trying. :thumbsup:

what time of day do the races usually end - and particularly the Derby on the final Sunday?

don't forget my request for the loan of a fiddle!

watch out 4 ricky & krystals hellbent in the no limets :luck: :cheers: 8)

Racing on the Derby Sunday should finish mid to late afternoon but like all racing events it will depend on the amount of dogs racing.

Well now piglet havent decided yet she has came home from todays trialling with a knocked up front toe so will have to work on that what do you think we should put her in?

Macha said:
I probably am going to come by train and camp for the week so I'll be looking for extra blankets and towels when it rains
Can someone lend me a fiddle/violin and bow in okay condition? for any part of the week (esp non-race days). I'm serious. I want to practice a bit, maybe busk, but I have to carry backpackers tent and sleeping bag & other essentials on my back, walk the hounds and wheel their crate  :sweating:   so I really couldn't bring a fiddle from home with me.

just bringing this page back up to the fore to remind you (esp. about the fiddle!)

I have a 10 month old whippet under 30 lbs and a 20 month old whippet/greyhound type who is large - ~ 24 inches, 40 lbs

my dogs are new to this sport so they will have to learn about about starting boxes during the race week as I don't think I will have time to practice with them at the greyhound track before I go.

I just hope the travel works out - sometimes it's hard to get a dog-friendly cab to the train station. Also there is work on the line from Antrim to Belfast and we have to go by bus for that part of the journey. Usually dogs aren't allowed so I spoke with someone on the phone. He said put the crate in the boot for the half hour journey, but when I asked how to secure the crate he said there was no way to secure it so I think that could be dangerous for the dogs and I got a verbal agreement that they could come on board with me if I muzzle them (even though they are very friendly dogs).

if anyone is interested in getting another whippet while they are at the Derby, I've been "surfing" and notice that there is a whippet for adoption at

Haven Dog Rescue

Union Farm Boarding Kennels

Craigrothie, Cupar, Fife. KY15 5PJ

Tel: 01334 828342 Email: alex@havendogrescue.co.uk

www.havendogrescue.co.uk

and two greyhound cross pups at

Second Chance Kennels

Balbeggie Avenue, Thornton, Fife, KY1 3NS

Tel: 01592771933 Email: ena@secondchancekennels.fsnet.co.uk

www.secondchancekennelsthornton.co.uk

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back