The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scratch Racing/breeding

sherry

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
this is a genuine topic that i dont think has been covered on k9 b4 but as scratch dogs always seem to get dragged into debates i thought id start a debate entirly on scratch dogs/breeding.

I HAVENT done this to cause arguments just to have a ganuine debate and to c exactly wot peoples problems r with breeding a ghd with a whippet? or why u think it shudnt b encouraged etc.

my personal opionion on scratch racing is that as most of u know i LOVE it i have had 7 dogs since coming into racing and 4 of them have been scratch dogs. i just find it very exciting all the dogs been off level its just my opinion. i also have a 21/22lber i love racing her but i personally like scratch racing better and the last bitch we bought we bought in the hope she wud make a scratch dog nikki whizz bred ghd x nikkitason.

as has been said in a precious topic most non ped whippets somewhere along the line have ghd in them otherwise they wud prob b peds.

so come on do u like scratch racing or do u think it shud b discouraged and if so why? im really interested.

hard to believe i put a topic on about scratch racing which gets brought up almost every debate to do with racing and......... NOBODY wants to answer it in the proper place :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
156 views and nobody has an opinion?????????

I personally don't have an issue with breeding a greyhound to a whippet. I do think the NNWRF's new format of introducing a 48lb class was an excellent idea.

There is one possible solution that Steve Boyds post got me thinking about today, that being a handicap of some description in the Supreme Scratch racing on the bends alone. Folk may consider me biased, I appreciate that but whether it's my 36lber, someone elses or a dog from the 40lb class, the times are in a different league to the No Limiters.

I actually feel guilty if I withdrew my dog from Supreme because I would hate to be considered un sporting, I also feel the owner of the No Limiter may feel a solo run for Supreme is a poor accolade to win.

The potentially interesting thing about having a handicap for Supreme Scratch on the bends would be that, like with the main handicap, people may feel a need to breed smaller.

Scratch racing for me every time Carole :thumbsup:

Even though I loved racing Jack The Lad 32lb,I would much rather have scratch racing :D

Hazel

MY OPINION IS I LOVE IT

I HAVE ONLY ONE SRATCH DOG AT THIS MOMENT AND HE CANT RUN THE BENDS ANY MORE DUE TO AN INJURY

BUT HAVE A NEW PUP COMING PLUS PUPS BRED FROM GREYHOUND TO TINKERMAN BUT DONT THINK THEY WILL MAKE SRATCH DOGS :(

GARY

Scratch racing for me :thumbsup: A true champion is one that can win off a level break IMO :lol:

i love my scratch racing on the bends and love to watch the scratch racing on the straights but i have no interest in racing any of my dogs on the straights thats my choice.

as for the supreme scratch r/off dont think a handicap system would work but having said that if there is interest in it lets give it a go and see how it goes

GRAHAM PEM said:
i love my scratch racing on the bends and love to watch the scratch racing on the  straights but i have no interest in racing any of my dogs on the straights thats my choice.as for the supreme scratch r/off dont think a handicap system would work but having said that if there is interest in it lets give it a go and see how it goes

Has it ever been tried in the past?

rodders said:
GRAHAM PEM said:
i love my scratch racing on the bends and love to watch the scratch racing on the  straights but i have no interest in racing any of my dogs on the straights thats my choice.as for the supreme scratch r/off dont think a handicap system would work but having said that if there is interest in it lets give it a go and see how it goes

I dont think so karren

If Harvey won No Limits and didn't have a dog to run off with in Supreme,then I personally would not claim Supreme Scratch.Wouldn't it be easier to just withdraw Supreme title if there wasn't a run off :)

rodders said:
GRAHAM PEM said:

i dont think so karren.

i always thought scratch racing was exactly that but hey if they want to try by all means try it and see how it goes but i still think people will still pull there dogs out just my opinion

This is the same as the bigger dogs pulling out of sup finals on straights

DENISE BAILEY said:
This is the same as the bigger dogs pulling out of sup finals on straights
:lol: Gone round a full circle now :lol: What the heck lets just get rid of Supreme titles altogether :- " :lol:

wild whippies said:
I personally don't have an issue with breeding a greyhound to a whippet. I do think the NNWRF's new format of introducing a 48lb class was an excellent idea.
There is one possible solution that Steve Boyds post got me thinking about today, that being a handicap of some description in the Supreme Scratch racing on the bends alone. Folk may consider me biased, I appreciate that but whether it's my 36lber, someone elses or a dog from the 40lb class, the times are in a different league to the No Limiters.

I actually feel guilty if I withdrew my dog from Supreme because I would hate to be considered un sporting, I also feel the owner of the No Limiter may feel a solo run for Supreme is a poor accolade to win.

The potentially interesting thing about having a handicap for Supreme Scratch on the bends would be that, like with the main handicap, people may feel a need to breed smaller.

why would you think people may feel the need to breed smaller.?

I think everyone who knows me knows my thoughts on the breeding of greyhounds with say No Limit non peds - i feel there is toooo much greyhound in them to be classed as non ped whippets - i appreciate its very difficult or nigh on impossible to get breeding with very little greyhound in it nowadays and know on ocassions people get bigger dogs than they anticipated but if straight greyound crossed with say 50lb plus dog it is far more expected to get bigger and not just the odd one going big. I think over 40lb and they are goin off the 'whippet' spectrum, personally I would always go for the smaller whippet. Another thing that has been mentioned in the topic of g/h x's etc is the bully in them i agree there has always been the odd bull thrown but is it not possible that by using greyhound this has contributed to more of them - as the greyhounds most preferred to breed from are smaller sprint greyhounds that tend to be more of 'stockier build'.

I have no objections to people doing as they wish racing scratch or in normal handicap formats each to their own - but personal opinions were asked for and thats mine - maybe as we have raced Greyhounds and Whippets and i like to keep them separate. Many people will know that at the time of racing our greyhounds we had a 16lb racing champion the perfect dog to take to one of our own greyhounds one being 51lb the other 56lb (smaller than alot of the no limiters now) but it was never our choice others have different ideas and thats their right.

Agree with Dee also on breeding and where do all the puppies end up :(

I also have a problem with the term 'non pedigree whippets' as all our dogs have pedigrees not kc registered but have pedigrees - see i just like to add to things HAHA

Ok so now thats my opinion and maybe i will be stood on my own at race meetings from now on but honest opinion :oops:

Just been doing a bit of searching and to be honest I don't think it would actually work out well.

End of 2005, the general difference between No Limiters and 40lb was around about 20 pips.

Early 2006, No Surrender started popping up doing faster times than the No Limiters! :lol:

I think it's just going to be a matter where an owner decides if they're dog is reasonably capable of giving a good race in the Supreme Scratch.

Thanks for considering it, it was just a passing thought but it's nice that people did give it some consideration. :thumbsup:

GRAHAM PEM said:
wild whippies said:

why would you think people may feel the need to breed smaller.?

Because they'd be running less yardage Graham, like I said it was just a passing thought, on paper I don't think it'd work.

i think scratch racing is great to watch and should be part of all opens :thumbsup: i think every one to there own :thumbsup: i personally prefer the smaller whippet tho but still like to watch a good scratch dog

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back