The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Seeding !!!

Karen-Coral

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Having just been on another topic not strickly concerning this subject i thought it might be of some help if ideas were aired on this subject --

I think it is getting silly all this out and out left/right hand runners --and think its time some steps were taken to rectify it--

any ideas that have been tried successful or not would maybe help some of the dogs because as Dee said on the other thread when the question was asked if you had a dog that interfered it was thrown un-ceremonially out--

My thoughts are when training pups don't always run them the same way from traps to lure turn them round and hand slip them opposite way --

-also like they used to whilst rag racing set up tapes a yard apart with only two lanes so all that requires is three lots of tapes

try raging them up a lane then if that works put two together and see what happens then turn round and run opposite way --

Why ?

because it is your problem i am sorry to say

not the bloke who's dog who runs straight or courses after the lure

surely it must be worth a little extra time and effort getting your dog to run straight

Before you all jump in feet first to have a go

with what i am sure i have heard many times before about why they do run like they do ask yourselves and be HONEST --

have i tried everything possible or am i just kidding myself and trying to justify it because it is easier to--

this thread as it states in the first place is on only in the hope it will help not just something to find fault with if it helps one dog then it was worth putting on thats my view--

steve

For the record, Avit isn't seeded on the straights.

I'm interested to see what advice people are going to suggest on persuading a railer to go wider. Personally I'd of thought it was down to each dogs physical ability to run in a circle, what do I know though? :unsure:

I suspect that although wide runners may be able to perfect their abilities and get tighter to the rail with experience, I really can't see how you can persuade a railer to become a wide runner? :blink:

Our little bitch was straight as the day is long until a dog ran up her backside. Now she is extreme right. Its got nowt to do with her training. We try to seed her extreme right but you can guarantee there will be a dog on the right of her!

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: Same here with Two Faced dont seed on straights either but do on the bends as she too is a railer.

As for training on straights Steve i have to say when slipping puppies we always let the lure go from left and then right so the dog doesnt always expect it to come from the same side. When first slips with 'older' or 'slower' dogs always alternate side put the dogs on and the lure still can come from either side again to get them used to either or but unfortunately if you do have a dog that has its own 'stubborn' mind i don't think with all the will in the world you can actually make them go where we would all love them to and that is 'straight' but i have to say it aint with lack of trying with some of us ;)

But then as Graham will tell you i'm from the 'old school' of training (OK Graham i know you mean i'm old) and still train my pups how my Dad taught me even though i know alot of people look at me a bit blank when after they have been trapping and doing the full distance I go back to short slips with an 'oldie' dog at the side of my pups and then gradually increase the distance and working back until i feel ready to put another dog at the side of them from the traps and by this time they are not shocked when they come from a trap and another dog is by their side and have tpo say works well for us not had many dogs that need seeding but have had one that no matter what was tried she had to go right :teehee: ;)

some good suggestions Steve for the training of PUPS for the future however on the down side we used to race up the tapes in the 60's and there were some bad injuries caused by dogs clipping the posts I'm more in favour of using cones when training pups along the same lines as you have said making a narrow track and short distances to try and teach the pup to keep on a straight line

THE RULES at present are

a dog would be thrown out for deliberate interferance not just for favouring a particular side and has been seeded correctly

for e.g

1) if a dog is seeded left and runs right and interferes in the race of another dog it should be disqualified

2) if a dog has been seeded left and has to run from the right because of the handicap and accidently bumps a dog it is not disqualified unless it turns its head and deliberately interferes with another dog in the race

ONE OF THE REASONS FOR NEEDING TO HAVE AT ALL OPENS GOOD MIDLINE JUDGES a position very few like to fill

I also feel there is a need for something similar at the bend racing as well as the veiwing of a race from the judges box is limited at the top bend

there is another problem here i dont know if it happens on the bends but it does on the straights. people seeding their dogs when they DONT NEED SEEDING or seeding them on the wrong side.

I totally agree Sherry :thumbsup:

len said:
Our little bitch was straight as the day is long until a dog ran up her backside. Now she is extreme right. Its got nowt to do with her training. We try to seed her extreme right but you can guarantee there will be a dog on the right of her!

sherry said:
there is another problem here i dont know if it happens on the bends but it does on the straights. people seeding their dogs when they DONT NEED SEEDING or seeding them on the wrong side.
Agree to with you Len sometimes due to other circumstances like yours dogs can then become wary and like to stay out of the way.

As for seeding when not needed i think that is why Steve says luck of the draw and then would stop everyone just jumping on the band wagon for the sake of it and if you knew of a definite right/left runner then it would be your choice to change traps and to be fair most of us would if we felt it was justifiable for the best racing and safety aspect :))

Never had to really bother with seeding in the past though must admit in her younger days when she was brave we'd try and get Blaze the inside box on the bends just to stop her cutting across the front of the other dogs as she was quick away. Now though she's got used to running with one eye and slowed down a bit, she almost expects there to be a dog up her inside and leaves a "dogs width" up her inside.

For some reason though Connor's Legacy always runs to the right on the straight if there are lighter dog to her right hand side, if she comes off levels with other dogs she doesn't slow down and switch right she runs next to them (she's not a "barger" she wouldn't be running if she was as we would consider her "bent" even though others wouldn't).

Admittedly there was an incident in Scotland where she had two lighter right hand runners on her right, Talli came out the boxes well and one "right hand runner" went left, nothing she could do and she ended up running straight over the top of it and nearly falling onto the other right hander :( .

On the bends she started off really well going straight up from her trap and running into the bend, only thing was she ran into the bend and another dog seeded "inside" got up to the bend and instead of going into the bend ran straight forwards into Talli knocking her clean off her feet, she was off for nearly three months with injury and when she came back she was obviously quite nervous she came out the boxes, ran as close to the outside rail as she could get then ran right round the outside of the track, hence we seeded her wide to keep her out the way. Gladly now she is once again increasing in confidence and she will run towards the inside if there is enough room for her on the bend (she''s usually last so there ususally is :thumbsup: ). As a result we stopped seeding her wide.

This straight season we're going to rig up some blinkers in an attempt to make her run straight down the track, it's not because she's "bent" but because we don't like her crossing over she never did it as a pup it's just something she's developed over time, a "bad habit" we want to get her out of !!!

u cant do it in a yards 4 pound race though say a 25lb dog is the heaviest and its a right hand runner r u gonna make the red trap off the right instead of the left? ok if all dogs weigh the same but u wud bound to b in with one 21lber.

well this seems quite a good light hearted response what i had hoped for---

with regards to the bend racing i was not really highlighting this is more a straight thing

i would say --

but it used to be easier i think training to the inside hare on the bends but caused more accidents as all dogs tried to hug the rails only room for one i am afraid--wide runners were not the norm---

many thanks to those who have already replied others that follow i hope use the same criteria ---

steve

That is one of the reasons we didn't try her on the bends, cos who knows where she would end up :wacko:

I agree steve we're doing well, this many posts and it's still a "discussion".

Have to say after the bend champs we're having to take both "pups" back to straight schooling. This at 3 years old and if we manage it I will be the first to tell Whippet Racers "you're never too old to learn !!!"

Jessica is going back to "puppy" schooling as she is developed a fear of running with dogs other than her own pack members. She's going back to learning just how fun racing can be. Hopefully our club will be more than accomodating with "extra" dogs to help Jessica.

Re: Talli: If blinkers don't work I would be grateful for any suggestions that fellow racers can make with regards to trying to train a "seeded runner" to prefer coursing the lure when in a race rather than running off to one side. She'll course the lure in a solo, couldn't wish for a straighter dog :eek: .

Wow Fleesh if someone had gave us a cure, we would have took there hands off (w00t)

sadieandco said:
len said:

sherry said:
Agree to with you Len sometimes due to other circumstances like yours dogs can then become wary and like to stay out of the way.

As for seeding when not needed i think that is why Steve says luck of the draw and then would stop everyone just jumping on the band wagon for the sake of it and if you knew of a definite right/left runner then it would be your choice to change traps and to be fair most of us would if we felt it was justifiable for the best racing and safety aspect :))

Yes your spot on there Sadie/karen or kim

that is exactly where i am coming from ---

it is really getting silly the lengths people will go for the outside boxes ---

maybe we should have them a yard apart and see what happens using the full width of the track with left hand dogs as far across to the left and right hand runners as far to the right as possible that way there would be plenty of track for straight runners also

as daft as this sounds it may well work and please every ones needs

steve

I'll try anything once Len.

Just ask people about Kerri's "bum machine" (w00t)

Sounded like a wacky idea to most, but it worked :thumbsup:

Well Fleesh she ran straight the other week at Dawdon but there was a force 8 gale blowing across the track :lol:

See there's your cure, strap a high power hairdryer to her right hand side and she can blow herself straight :D

Ok another one of Dad's old tips food in a bag on the lure so that at the end of the race a reward is given and they know the reward is in the lure hence the incentive to run straight for the tit bit - but i know lots of you will have probably tried this anyway if you have either a wide runner or one that isnt totally committed to the lure lets say :- " but just one of many tips that might come up in the topic to help either newcomers or frustrated owners :wacko: But still if the dog dont wanna do it how u want them to nothing will make them but anything is worth a try :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back