The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Should I be worried for my dog?

Bryony Reed

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello I am new to the forum and would like some advice if anyone knows what might be wrong with my dog, if I should be worried and what I should do!
I would like some advice on whether I need to take my dog to the vets. I have a female border terrier/patterdale cross who is 4 ½ years old. She is normally very lively, strong and requires lots of exercise. Over the past 2 days she has been quite lethargic, not wanting to go out for a walk and not her normal self. She is refusing to drink, and we have just managed to get her to eat her food. She is only drinking if we let her lick it off a spoon. When we take her outside and try to play, she comes back in and pants heavily which sounds a bit like she is coughing. She is able to walk and run, and has been to the toilet all fine. She has not been sick.

Over the past few months, her belly skin has been getting darker and turning almost black. She doesn't seem bothered by it, but I wonder this may have anything to do with it?

I wonder what you think I should do? I am hesitant to take her to the vets as they are only doing phone call consultations for £50! and if we need to bring her in it will be classed as an 'emergency' due to the ongoing covid restrictions.

Please help!

Sorry but I'd pay for a phone consult at least and photograph her stomach and send that for an immediate opinion. Could be something or nothing- or very serious. Only the vet can say. If money is a difficulty have you tried contacting PDSA or Blue Cross?

I agree with Merlina - you do need to contact the vet in my opinion.

Dogs' skin does often darken quite noticeably in summer, but again, it would be sensible to show the vet a photo. If you happen to have a photo of her belly from the same time in a previous year for comparison, all the better.

I hope she's OK - do let us know how she gets on.

The not drinking would be a concern for me, if she gets dehydrated she could get quite ill. And, although vets are only seeing urgent and emergency cases, I don't think they are charging differently, not like out of hours services (but that said, if you have to take her in over the weekend, that possibly would be an out of hours charge).

Yep, as above, definitely speak to a vet at least, I know phone consults are difficult but there is obviously something going on with your little dog, I wouldn't risk leaving it.. really hope she's ok..

Hello, thank you so much everyone for replying! I spoke to the vets and they did a urine sample and checked her over. They think that the darker tummy is due to allergies this time of year. And she thinks the other symptoms could be pancreatitis, so she has been given some antacids and painkillers, and recommended a low fat diet. Thanks so much for your replies, I am glad I got her checked out and hope she starts to feel better!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back