The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Should I Get My Bitch Puppy Spayed?

CarolineKeithmoore

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, Just a quick call out to find what my options are with my lovely 4 and a half month old whippetxpoodle puppy, Stella.

We are aware that coming up to 6 months old, we should expect Stella to come on heat for the first time. Our vet advised us to have her spayed by 6 months-ish, and that she would have lower risk of cancer etc.

In terms of breeding her, we wouldn't want to do that for at least a couple of years if at all, because our house is really small and we don't have the time and space to look after a litter of puppies. So, probably we should just get her fixed. I don't know why though, but I don't really feel I want to! She's just such a gorgeous dog and it seems a shame to rule out the chance of her having puppies, and possibly being able to keep a daughter or son in due course if we move somewhere more suitable. But then I guess on the other side, there are lots of lovely dogs out there in the world - maybe it's just cos my Granny used to let her dogs breed a bit, and she'd keep one back to replace her bitches as they got old, so I have it ingrained in my head that's the way to do it!?

Anyway, my real question is: what are the options for dealing with your dog coming on heat if you don't have her spayed and you don't want her getting pregnant? Maybe it's a stupid question, but do you have to keep them strictly indoors until it passes? How long would that take? How do we tell if she's on heat? And is it tough on the dog to be kept in in that situation? How do others deal with this please?

Thanks for any advice from experience!

Best wishes,

Caroline

Hi, Just a quick call out to find what my options are with my lovely 4 and a half month old whippetxpoodle puppy, Stella.
We are aware that coming up to 6 months old, we should expect Stella to come on heat for the first time. Our vet advised us to have her spayed by 6 months-ish, and that she would have lower risk of cancer etc.

In terms of breeding her, we wouldn't want to do that for at least a couple of years if at all, because our house is really small and we don't have the time and space to look after a litter of puppies. So, probably we should just get her fixed. I don't know why though, but I don't really feel I want to! She's just such a gorgeous dog and it seems a shame to rule out the chance of her having puppies, and possibly being able to keep a daughter or son in due course if we move somewhere more suitable. But then I guess on the other side, there are lots of lovely dogs out there in the world - maybe it's just cos my Granny used to let her dogs breed a bit, and she'd keep one back to replace her bitches as they got old, so I have it ingrained in my head that's the way to do it!?

Anyway, my real question is: what are the options for dealing with your dog coming on heat if you don't have her spayed and you don't want her getting pregnant? Maybe it's a stupid question, but do you have to keep them strictly indoors until it passes? How long would that take? How do we tell if she's on heat? And is it tough on the dog to be kept in in that situation? How do others deal with this please?

Thanks for any advice from experience!

Best wishes,

Caroline
me personally would spay a bitch until she has had 2 season the her body would of matured spaying them too early can have side affects like incontinence, you don't have keep them strickly indoors but i recommend that she is kept on a lead at all times, and just becareful it usually take three weeks for a bich to come out of season, ussually they a have small bit of blood in their urine and then swell or the other way round depending on the dog and it is a right to kept you bitch restricted to the garden but when she is ready to be mated just keep a vigil eye on her as she would be most keen to go off and find herself a boyfriend or a boy friend might chance his luck by visiting you but good luck in what ever decision you take

please don't have her speyed untill she is at leased 18 months old let her mature first and she is beautful by the way

I had my terrier bitch speyed when she was about a year old. She has always been well but I do know some friends whose bitches have leaked urine following speying. It has worked out ok for me as I never, ever wanted to breed. Question closely your reasons for wanting to breed, after all there are so many dogs filling the dog pounds, many with no realistic hope of ever getting a home. Otherwise, prepare to be extremely vigilant during your bitches season - do not leave her outside - randy dogs are capable of digging under or scaling high wooden or wire fences in search of nookie!

We breed far more dogs in this country than we have homes available, and kill off the surplus by their thousands in council pounds and rescue centres. Sorry to be bald, but it's the stark truth, so please, please don't add to the problem by breeding your girl just because you think it might be nice for her to have puppies.

All my bitches have been spayed and in 30 years I've never had one with incontinence problems, but I know it can happen. On the other hand spay incontinence can usually be treated reasonably easily, and you don't have to worry about seasons, preganancies or the dangers of pyometra.

Spaying early protects from mammary cancer - it goes on a sliding scale from almost 100% protection if you spay before first season to pretty much 0% protection once the dog has had four seasons. Personally I'd like a bitch to have one season before spaying IF she can be protected from impregnation. If not I'd go for an early spay as being less dangerous or detrimental than a dog having puppies when she's still just a baby herself.

Spaying early protects from mammary cancer - it goes on a sliding scale from almost 100% protection if you spay before first season to pretty much 0% protection once the dog has had four seasons.

Bitches spayed early can get mammary cancer, while many never spayed bitches never do. There is some evidence that early spayed bitch has somewhat reduced occurrence. While obviously spayed bitch will not get pyometra or uterine or ovarian cancer, there is some evidence of other problems. like increase chance of bone cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know much about getting the bitch spayed - I am hoping to sort this out with my bitch in the next month - but Ivy has just been through a season and it wasn't that bad. You can buy 'dog knickers' which look shockingly like ladies ones! These will protect your carpets and floors etc. Ivy obligingly was ill during what should have been her worst week of season so she didn't go out much then, but just prior to this and afterwards we didn't get very much unwanted attention - little more than usual. I have a friend who keeps an entire dog and bitch together (they are rottie and dachshund) and the rotti dog doesn't even understand what to do when the bitch 'stands' in front of him!! Anyway, I just made sure that I didn't leave Ivy outside the school gates or tied up outside shops and kept her on the lead.

In terms of breeding - the pounds are not full of whippets. I am sure we all agree that the world would be a better place with more whippets in it!! :D The dogs' homes are full of staffi Xs and collie Xs, not whippets (these are always snapped up by rescuers because they are so great). It is up to you to decide whether you want to breed from your bitch - if she is anything like mine, people will be stopping you in the street asking you to do it so they can have the pups. (Mine is now too old to have any, so sadly she is going to be spayed this April).

Caitlin

I always have my bitches spayed 3 months after their first season although vets these days are taught at vet school that it makes no difference whether it is done before first season or not .

Although it might be nice to have a pup off your bitch the problem is sometimes they can have up to 13 puppies and the chances of finding good permenant homes for these puppies is slim . My miniature poodle was one of 9 and my first whippet was one of 13 puppies .

I knw there is a slim chance of incontinence occuring after spaying but it has nothing to do with when the spaying is done ( according to what my vets say )

We breed far more dogs in this country than we have homes available, and kill off the surplus by their thousands in council pounds and rescue centres. Sorry to be bald, but it's the stark truth, so please, please don't add to the problem by breeding your girl just because you think it might be nice for her to have puppies.
It is so sad, but very true - we breed far too many dogs and there just aren't enough homes for them.

I had both my bitches spayed 3 months after their first season. When I worked for a vet many years ago, that was the advice they gave, and I still feel it is right. It gives them time to mature, so I wouldn't want to spay them too early.

I did have complications with Remmy (please note this is very, very rare so poor Remmy was so unlucky). She came into season again about 6 months after being spayed, and then again about 6-7 months after that. :eek: During her spay, a small piece of mammary tissue had been left behind and that led to hormones being produced. She obviously couldn't have been made pregnant, but had all the outward signs.

She had to have an exploratory op to find and remove the offending tissue, and is fine now. Again, this is really unusual and I would always have a bitch spayed if I wasn't planning on breeding. That is my personal opinion, and I know other people have different views.

HI everyone, thanks a lot for the info, that's really helpful. I think on balance it seems best to wait until she's had one season at least, if not longer, so that she can mature fully. We probably will get her done in the end, but this fits with my gut feeling that it didn't feel right to do it by 6 months to prevent any season (which is what vet suggested when we had her registered). We can easily keep on lead and let her run in the back garden, it's fully enclosed. But not very big! :( anyway, was intrigued by the description of the 'dog pants' - I'm obviously being very ignorant, but what is the purpose of those? what will happen to the carpets etc??

Thanks for any info!

love, caroline

HI everyone, thanks a lot for the info, that's really helpful. I think on balance it seems best to wait until she's had one season at least, if not longer, so that she can mature fully. We probably will get her done in the end, but this fits with my gut feeling that it didn't feel right to do it by 6 months to prevent any season (which is what vet suggested when we had her registered). We can easily keep on lead and let her run in the back garden, it's fully enclosed. But not very big! :( anyway, was intrigued by the description of the 'dog pants' - I'm obviously being very ignorant, but what is the purpose of those? what will happen to the carpets etc??
Thanks for any info!

love, caroline
Hi Caroline,

I would wait until her first season,then do it 3 months after that.As for the pants,basically do the same as Always with wings!!do for us.With only having Stella,you should get through it without too much trouble.Harry found the pups far harder to find good homes for than he thought,and he found it hard to part with them.After meeting you and Keith,i think you will have another dog in the future,i can see you with a little whippet or something similar!!Good luck with Stella/

Amandax

our bitch Zoe was spayed at four months old and obviously prior to first season..there is a less than 1% chance of her developing mammary tumours as a result of this early spaying( have been told this by all five vets at my practise).

there is a slightly raised risk of incontinence in later life( due to situation of bladder after removal of uterus)however any bitch can become incontinent in later life for a variety of reasons and the vet considered the risk negligible.

For us and our dog this was the right decision and I would definitely do it again (not that I'll ever own another bitch because they are evil ( :lol: moonpig :lol: ))

xx

Thanks for any info!

love, caroline
Bitches on heat drip blood as they walk around. This can go on for some weeks - it certainly did in Ivy's case! As I said, she was rather unwell during her season and spent most of the worst times sitting in bed - she licked herself down below and seemed to manage to contain most of it!! The danger period in terms of being made pregnant is, as I understand it, from about the tenth day after the blood first shows to sometimes as late as the 20th. Other posters may be able to tell you more about this (hope I've got this right). The dog pants have a slot in them for an absorbant pad to be placed - I suppose they might prevent any unwelcome suitors managing to impregnate your bitch, but dare you to take her out in them!! :lol:

Thanks for any info!

love, caroline
Bitches on heat drip blood as they walk around. This can go on for some weeks - it certainly did in Ivy's case! As I said, she was rather unwell during her season and spent most of the worst times sitting in bed - she licked herself down below and seemed to manage to contain most of it!! The danger period in terms of being made pregnant is, as I understand it, from about the tenth day after the blood first shows to sometimes as late as the 20th. Other posters may be able to tell you more about this (hope I've got this right). The dog pants have a slot in them for an absorbant pad to be placed - I suppose they might prevent any unwelcome suitors managing to impregnate your bitch, but dare you to take her out in them!! :lol:
Ha! Oh my god :p poor little thing, I just might ;) So, I take it that that is the main sign of her being on heat then? or are there any other warning signs we should look out for? Other than the undivided attention of boy dogs, that is?! I guess it's just luck of the draw in terms of the incontinence thing, sounds like it happens but is not so common that it puts people off doing it... I guess the problems of having a bitch coming on heat twice a year outweigh the health risks of having the surgery. Thanks, Caroline

Yes, the blood is usually the first sign, although I have friends whose bitches don't bleed and some who are dripping all over the place! Ivy only comes into season once a year, and last time, it was over a year. However, no vets have believed this and wouldn't spey her when I wanted it done last year. If you want to breed, I understand you have to press tissue paper against the vulva to check for blood so that you can count accurately from the first day of the season to about day 12/13. You may also notice swelling round the general 'down below' area or a 'saggy bum' as one of my friends puts it! Bitches in season often wee a lot more - I think Ivy did about 8 wees on one half hour walk at the time. She was quite well behaved in general and didn't seem to be looking for a way out to run away, so, I did have her off the lead if I was out really early and their were no other dogs on the horizon. She was a bit smelly after 3 weeks of bleeding, and she had to have a bath and a new bed. So, though I had been dreading her coming into season since we got her a year ago, it wasn't that bad - don't think I'd like it twice a year though!

During her spay, a small piece of mammary tissue had been left behind and that led to hormones being produced. She obviously couldn't have been made pregnant, but had all the outward signs.

I guess you mean ovarian

.there is a less than 1% chance of her developing mammary tumours as a result of this early spaying( have been told this by all five vets at my practise).
There is NO chance of developing mammary tumours as a result of spaying. On the contrary it is less likely for bitch to develop these tumours. Mammary cancer in bitches usually occurs quite late in life, is very easily spotted and easily removed by surgery. It is considerably preferable to bone cancer, which seems to be on increase in early desexed dogs.

It may be correct that less than 1% of early spayed bitches develop mammary cancer, but as comparing to what? What is the percentage of entire bitches? The hormones released by ovaries at puberty (first season) do increase the chance, but they also have all sort of other effects.

Vets prefer to spay early. The operation on young maiden bitch is easier, quicker with less chances of complications, and the bitch recuperates faster. Spaying half way between seasons is also less likely to be complicated - complications are more likely to occur if the bitch is before/in/after season as the uterus is engorged with blood and there is more danger of bleeding. I have assisted with spay on many occasions.

But I prefer to take into account possible complication later on in life.

During her spay, a small piece of mammary tissue had been left behind and that led to hormones being produced. She obviously couldn't have been made pregnant, but had all the outward signs.

I guess you mean ovarian
Ooops - sorry. Must have been having a senior moment!!! I get a lot these days. :b

Yes I did mean to say ovarian tissue.

I guess you mean ovarian

.there is a less than 1% chance of her developing mammary tumours as a result of this early spaying( have been told this by all five vets at my practise).
There is NO chance of developing mammary tumours as a result of spaying. On the contrary it is less likely for bitch to develop these tumours. Mammary cancer in bitches usually occurs quite late in life, is very easily spotted and easily removed by surgery. It is considerably preferable to bone cancer, which seems to be on increase in early desexed dogs.

It may be correct that less than 1% of early spayed bitches develop mammary cancer, but as comparing to what? What is the percentage of entire bitches? The hormones released by ovaries at puberty (first season) do increase the chance, but they also have all sort of other effects.

Vets prefer to spay early. The operation on young maiden bitch is easier, quicker with less chances of complications, and the bitch recuperates faster. Spaying half way between seasons is also less likely to be complicated - complications are more likely to occur if the bitch is before/in/after season as the uterus is engorged with blood and there is more danger of bleeding. I have assisted with spay on many occasions.

But I prefer to take into account possible complication later on in life.
Take a look online if you wish to see the figures for comparison between early spaying % risk against later spaying or not spaying at all;)

Vets in general don't necessarily prefer early spaying, policy varies from practise to practise, we found a practise where they would spay early as that was our wish.

I currently work in a veterinary surgery and am fully versed in the details of bitch spaying...any operation entails a risk of bleeding,that's a given.

We also took into account the possibilities of complications later in life and as I said the risks are negligible and for us and our bitch it was the right thing to do_Our bitch has matured into a fine example of her breed. you make your personal choice for your dogs, other people make different choices but doesn't necessarily make them wrong,just different choices.

Ok, I've only scanned this thread so apologies if the point I'm making is already covered. Also I do have the stats from the vet literature to support this but as I'm waiting on a phone call from the vet having just rushed Tolly in as an emergency I'm not going to go and seach them out just now.

The risk of cancer increases the longer a dog is left unspayed but the difference in risk after one or two seasons is small. If all bitches were left unspayed mammary cancer would still only occur in a relatively small number, so by delaying spaying and allowing the dog to have a season or two you only marginally increase what is already a smallish risk. You also allow the dog time to mature emotionally and physically, and this includes time for the growth plates in the long bones of the legs to close as and when they should, a process that is in some part hormone driven. Dogs spayed whilst still immature can have reduced bone density which can mean a life long higher risk of injury etc., particularly for a sighthound/running dog. The risk posed to the bones by early spaying (or castrating) is greater than the increase in cancer risk if spaying is delayed until 18-24 mths.

HTH

Annie

Ok, I've only scanned this thread so apologies if the point I'm making is already covered. Also I do have the stats from the vet literature to support this but as I'm waiting on a phone call from the vet having just rushed Tolly in as an emergency I'm not going to go and seach them out just now.
The risk of cancer increases the longer a dog is left unspayed but the difference in risk after one or two seasons is small. If all bitches were left unspayed mammary cancer would still only occur in a relatively small number, so by delaying spaying and allowing the dog to have a season or two you only marginally increase what is already a smallish risk. You also allow the dog time to mature emotionally and physically, and this includes time for the growth plates in the long bones of the legs to close as and when they should, a process that is in some part hormone driven. Dogs spayed whilst still immature can have reduced bone density which can mean a life long higher risk of injury etc., particularly for a sighthound/running dog. The risk posed to the bones by early spaying (or castrating) is greater than the increase in cancer risk if spaying is delayed until 18-24 mths.

HTH

Annie
It is worth pointing out also that the difference( and there certainly isn't sufficient evidence that this is a certainty) between bone density of early spayed animals and those spayed later is also very small so much like the argument about cancer,the difference is minimal.

Our boxer bitch is both emotionally and definitely physically( ours is certainly far more muscular and less puppy looking) no different to our friends boxer who was allowed two seasons before spaying.

we all just do what's right for our own animals.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back