The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Showing

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
trish 9 said:
Seraphina said:
Sometime ago I posted this thread showing my pups immediately after they had their dew claws removed.  Here is a link to it for those who did not see it. 
dewclaws

I used to show Danes with dewclaws and did not find it would go against them in the ring, although i did get lot of criticism from other breeders.  The first litter i left them on was because they were born right before Easter and i was not able to get the vet in before it was too late.  Her dewclaws were tiny and hardly noticeable and i did not bother with the consecutive litters.

thanks everyone for your replies i have talked to my vet about having them removed because i explained i would like to show her he said he doesnt like to do it but he didnt refuse i just wondered if havind her dew claws on when showing the judge may think shes of bad breeding because so many whippet breeders have them now removed after reading your comments i will stay open minded and leave them for now and see how we go in the show ring :)

if you did have them removed now she would have to go under general anesthetic , need stiches and it would be a big op . id personally leave them on :thumbsup:

i wouldnt put my dog through that just so a judge would think more highly of her .

its not a dig , just my opinion :huggles:

saraquele said:
trish 9 said:
Seraphina said:
Sometime ago I posted this thread showing my pups immediately after they had their dew claws removed.  Here is a link to it for those who did not see it. 
dewclaws

I used to show Danes with dewclaws and did not find it would go against them in the ring, although i did get lot of criticism from other breeders.  The first litter i left them on was because they were born right before Easter and i was not able to get the vet in before it was too late.  Her dewclaws were tiny and hardly noticeable and i did not bother with the consecutive litters.

thanks everyone for your replies i have talked to my vet about having them removed because i explained i would like to show her he said he doesnt like to do it but he didnt refuse i just wondered if havind her dew claws on when showing the judge may think shes of bad breeding because so many whippet breeders have them now removed after reading your comments i will stay open minded and leave them for now and see how we go in the show ring :)

if you did have them removed now she would have to go under general anesthetic , need stiches and it would be a big op . id personally leave them on :thumbsup:

i wouldnt put my dog through that just so a judge would think more highly of her .

its not a dig , just my opinion :huggles:

The only time we will have them done (I did them once myself and decided I would rather stick pins in my eyes than do it again so I now happily pay the vet to do them) is when pups are one to two days old.

I wouldn't even contemplate doing them on a youngster because for it to be correct it does require removal of a bone that is small and soft in the tiny pup and bigger and growing in the adult so it definitely will require an anesthetic.

Having seen a number of persons who judge say it doesn't bother them I would urge you to keep the dewclaws now that you have them and just keep the little claws closely cut so they don't detract from the leg when showing. The next time you contemplate getting a pup, if you know where and who you are going to get it from you should confirm with the breeder that you will want a pup without the dew claws.

Good luck on your pup. And don't worry about those dewclaws.

Lanny

saraquele said:
if you did have them removed now she would have to go under general anesthetic , need stiches and it would be a big op . id personally leave them on  :thumbsup: i wouldnt put my dog through that just so a judge would think more highly of her .

its not a dig , just my opinion  :huggles:

I had it done on one adult dog, but would never do it again, unless necessary It was a big op and left large scars.

i just wondered if havind her dew claws on when showing the judge may think shes of bad breeding because so many whippet breeders have them now removed

[SIZE=14pt]Sorry to be such tired old a cynic, but I reckon there are judges who will[/SIZE] think this and use it as an excuse to not consider a dog highly, but they are the judges who look for the faces. So my advice, when a judge of this nature is officiating, is give the dog with dew claws to a well known exhibitor to handle ;)

Alternatively only show under judges who actually judge the DOG, just think of the savings on entry fees!

Last edited by a moderator:
i just wondered if havind her dew claws on when showing the judge may think shes of bad breeding because so many whippet breeders have them now removed

[SIZE=14pt]Sorry to be such tired old a cynic, but I reckon there are judges who will[/SIZE] think this and use it as an excuse to not consider a dog highly, but they are the judges who look for the faces. So my advice, when a judge of this nature is officiating, is give the dog with dew claws to a well known exhibitor to handle ;)

Alternatively only show under judges who actually judge the DOG, just think of the savings on entry fees!

But as she is new to showing , how will she know who the `face ` judges are Cathy ? and lets be honest :wacko: who wants to go under `face` judges anyhow

:huggles:

dragonfly said:
Alternatively only show under judges who actually judge the DOG, just think of the savings on entry fees![/size][/color]
I guess there are some, Cathy, but are there that many? Maybe I am too naive.

:b

Pauline

maggie217 said:
dragonfly said:
Alternatively only show under judges who actually judge the DOG, just think of the savings on entry fees![/size][/color]

Pauline

Crufts, a couple of years back, I was standing with my brother at the Bull terrier ring admiring the dogs. Judging had not been started. Someone I knew from Liverpool came over to say hello.

I said 'Who's your money on?',

He said 'Oh I know what dog is going to win, one of the lads has just told me.'

I told him in a scouse kind of way not to be silly. I will not type it here. And said 'How can you be so sure.'

He said 'I am not sure, I am absolutely certain! Stick and around and watch.'

He was right. The dog he said would win, did.

Never put a dog in a show ring. Never will. Dont like people stealing my money from me. And at the end of the day, that is theft. I always thought a judge had to go over a dog and watch it move before he could make a decision? I also thought he/she had to give all the other dogs a fair chance too.

Mini Me said:
maggie217 said:
dragonfly said:

Pauline

Crufts, a couple of years back, I was standing with my brother at the Bull terrier ring admiring the dogs. Judging had not been started. Someone I knew from Liverpool came over to say hello.

I told him in a scouse kind of way not to be silly. I will not type it here. And said 'How can you be so sure.'

Never put a dog in a show ring. Never will. Dont like people stealing my money from me. And at the end of the day, that is theft. I always thought a judge had to go over a dog and watch it move before he could make a decision? I also thought he/she had to give all the other dogs a fair chance too.

I too have been at some shows where to be frank,the whole damn thing could've been "judged" over the phone and saved a lot of people a lot of money!! :angry:

And unfortunately this does happen and more often than we think,I have watched judges blatantly "go up the lead" in a line up....but that said there are are a lot of good,honest,decent judges out there and you have to learn yourself who to go under and who not to waste your money on. I have been told lots of times not to go under certain judges for some reason or other BUT I make up my own mind and will always give EVERY judge a "fair crack of the whip" as such and go under them once and then take it from there,if I think they "faced" it or only put up their friends - even if their friends dog was the worst whippet in the class (in which case they are only making fools of themselves) - or maybe they just preferred a different type or even color to mine then I don't go under them again.All I ask for as an exhibitor is that I get an honest opinion,it may not be the same as my opinion but if it is the judges HONEST one then I am happy!We wont all win every time we go out,judging is a very personal thing as everyone has their own tastes and dislikes and what is one judge's preference may be anothers "bugbear" but Hey! would'nt life be boring if the same dog won all the time!! :)

Mini Me said:
maggie217 said:
dragonfly said:

Pauline

Please dont tar everyone with the same brush , Some of us do actually judge the dogs o:) and of course we are the ones who go home with a clear conscience :- "

JAX said:
Mini Me said:
maggie217 said:
dragonfly said:

Pauline

Please dont tar everyone with the same brush , Some of us do actually judge the dogs o:) and of course we are the ones who go home with a clear conscience :- "

In addition the dog everyone might predict will win is the best dog.

I watched Best In Show at one Champ show when a Black Standard Poodle which had done an awful lot of winning entered the ring, I could not take my eyes off him, he had so much charisma and his movement was superb. There he was with the other group winners, all lovely dogs but he just shone. He won that day and many more days, many people predicted he would win and how right they were.

A couple of years ago I stopped to chat to a man with a black standard poodle in pet clip. We became friends and he used to bring Ben into the shop most days for a treat. I could never get over how well Ben moved, he was a stunning looking dog and I often imagined him in show clip, I kept asking what his breeding was, but it was not until Ben died and his owner found his pedigree form, guess who his dad was?

Jenny

quintessence said:
JAX said:
Mini Me said:
maggie217 said:
dragonfly said:

Pauline

In addition the dog everyone might predict will win is the best dog.

I watched Best In Show at one Champ show when a Black Standard Poodle which had done an awful lot of winning entered the ring, I could not take my eyes off him, he had so much charisma and his movement was superb. There he was with the other group winners, all lovely dogs but he just shone. He won that day and many more days, many people predicted he would win and how right they were.

A couple of years ago I stopped to chat to a man with a black standard poodle in pet clip. We became friends and he used to bring Ben into the shop most days for a treat. I could never get over how well Ben moved, he was a stunning looking dog and I often imagined him in show clip, I kept asking what his breeding was, but it was not until Ben died and his owner found his pedigree form, guess who his dad was?

Jenny

Oooh, you've made me go all goosebumpy Jenny :b

trish 9 said:
thanks everyone for your replies i have talked to my vet about having them removed because i explained i would like to show her he said he doesnt like to do it but he didnt refuse i just wondered if havind her dew claws on when showing the judge may think shes of bad breeding because so many whippet breeders have them now removed after reading your comments i will stay open minded and leave them for now and see how we go in the show ring  :)
I wouldn't remove them now unless she has to go under for another procedure. At this point it is major surgery and not worth doing. Chelsea had hers and I was forever paranoid about her catching them as they were really floppy, and I worried about an injury like Lanny describes. When she had to go under for a lump removal I had them done then, but would never have put her under just for that, and most vets would strongly recommend NOT doing it unless they were under for something else.

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back