The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Showing

trish 9

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
i have a whippet that still has her dew claws will this affect her when i start showing her .

Hi Trish , Welcome to K9 :huggles:

Its unfortunate they are still on , but IMO they shouldnt be penalised . Im sure in the not too distant futre all dew laws will be let on ,

Ive just been judging in Germany and they are not allowed to take them off . Id judged loads of whippets before I realsied they still had them on anyhow :wacko:

Lets see what other k9ers think :cheers:

All my dogs both greyhounds and whippets have had their dew claws.

Why do you remove them?.... I mean it is a dogs thumbs :unsure: :blink:

I don't show either but was curious as to why they wouldn't have them for showing either :unsure: very odd

Cornish said:
All my dogs both greyhounds and whippets have had their dew claws.
Why do you remove them?.... I mean it is a dogs thumbs :unsure:   :blink:

I don't show either but was curious as to why they wouldn't have them for showing either :unsure: very odd

They can easily get them caught whilst running cornish , they can make quite a mess and be v painful if tear them. I know its their thumb but i dont think the domestic dog really needs them like they would in the wild (i.e gripping onto prey) Mine are dewclewed but our terrier hasnt been done and he's forever ragging them. Thought about having them removed but apparently it can be v painful and hard to heal once they are older ( he'd 4yrs old!) :thumbsup:

My litter has just been dew clawed (yesterday). It is my first litter of whippets. Litters I have bred in the past were B.T's and didn't have their dew claws removed.

O.M.G. I could not believe it. Either my whippet pups are the hardest animals on planet earth and have an incredible pain barrier, or, they just dont feel it happening! They made FAR more noise when I picked them up off the floor of the whelping box than they did when the claw was removed. In fact, only one made any sound as it happened, and I think that was probably my fault becasue I was holding it a bit too tight whilst the claw was removed. The second I put them back on their mum's teat, they went back to feeding. It was amazing.

I was nearly sick when the first pup was done though. I have to admit, first time seeing it done, it was very traumatic (NOT FOR THE PUPS - FOR ME), but I will not hesitate to do all my pups (B.T's as well!) in the future. My youngest B.T. Hazel, ripped the claw out of hers once, and she was very uncomfortable for a good while after.

They are not a true thumb any more, more of a vestigial digit that serves no purpose. I imagine in another 10000 years, if we are still breeding dogs, there will be no more Dew claws anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh righty ho, I see..... thanks for explaining that to me... I can't say that Sidney has had any problems with his... Ian has said though that Jacques our ex racing greyhound caught his once at the beach :x

Does this have to be done at birth then?

Although they are called Dew `Claws `, they are still in fact bone , Its done at about 3-4 days old

Ive had many taken off over the years and as has been said , the pups make more noise being taken away from the milk bar than the actual `snip` .

But no one is answering Trisha question , perhaps it would have been better posted in whippet showing :- "

one of my litters had theirs removed, but now my vets (and the other 2 practices around) will no longer remove unless proof that all will go to working homes :wacko:

i have only ever had 1 dew claw incident, but thankfully my dad was very near when it happened and we had very little lood although the whole nail was ripped out, this now is checked VERY regular as will grow back oddly :thumbsup:

posh totty said:
one of my litters had theirs removed, but now my vets (and the other 2 practices around) will no longer remove unless proof that all will go to working homes  :wacko:
Vets really make me sick when they take that attitiude

Pauline

it does not state anything in the breed standard about leaving them on or taking them off so should not be penalised in the show ring :thumbsup:

trish 9 said:
i have a whippet that still has her dew claws will this affect her when i start showing her .
It really shoudn't affect her in the show ring as it is nothing to do with her conformation...and isn't mentioned in the breed standard. Of course you can't tell if an individual judge will take the presence of dew claws into account - but imo they shouldn't. They are best removed when young but I wouldn't have them removed now unless you have a problem with them.

Pauline

I showed a whippet that had his dew claws stillon I don't think it went against him.No judges ever made any comment about it or said he would have done better without them

In Sweden we have to go to the vet to have them removed, so most of our whippets have them and I personally have´nt have any injured dew claw in ten years.

And all of my whippets run in the forrest and in the fields every day :luck: .

I even think that one Swedish dog became Champion in England whith his dew claws still on

/Heléne

www.macbells.se

I have removed the dew claws of all my litters & many litters of friends over the years & NEVER had a problem. :thumbsup:

If it is done correctly, it is quick & the pup is back with mum & it is over & done with before they even realise.

Unfortunately i have seen many botched up attempts by vets that have ended up growing back as they were not done correctly :(

In coated breeds it is not as relevent as the coat protects the claw & there are fewer injuries BUT in short coated breeds like Whippets, Greyhounds & IG's it can be a nightmare when they catch them or tear them off & sooo painful for them when they are older.

From a showing perspective, whilst it certainly is not a fault to either have or not have a dew claw on a short coated fine elegant bone such as an IG a dew claw in my opinion looks quite horrid & spoils the overall picture completely.

Taken off correctly within the first 48 hours prevents any problems at all at a later date & from a show perspective gives a far cleaner, acceptable picture in my personal opinion. :)

From a judging point of view it wouldnt bother me. It does however annoy me that vets are happy to neuter for the owners convenience and debeak chickens with hot irons etc. Idid hear today of a vet who told the owners of a bitch wanting to breed a litter they could not mate her this season as she was due her booster at the time she would be in whelp :rant: :rant: :rant: Bloody hell whatever next

trish 9 said:
Greetings from Canada where it is typical practice of most -- but not all -- breeders to remove dew claws. We have ours done by the vet on day one or two and that ends the potential for problems later on, as I shall describe.

We have, however, had three whippets with intact dew claws, whom we imported from Denmark where I understand it is illegal to have the dewclaws removed (I believe registration is withheld if they are done. Same with cropped ears and bobbed tails). We showed two of the dogs -- Cdn.Ch. Frontrunner's Full Monty and Am.Cdn.Ch. Frontrunner's Ruby Malone -- to their titles with the dew claws intact and not a single judge commented on the dogs having them on. We also had three show greyhounds (now deceased) with intact dew claws and finished the titles on two of them.

We did however realize the value of having dewclaws removed when one of our greyhounds hooked her right leg dewclaw running in heavy gorse in our back pastureland and required expensive emergency surgery to repair the damage -- a large ripped open section of her leg (the dewclaw acted like a zipper) which bled heavily and required repairs to the leg and to ligaments torn as a result of this unfortunate accident.

Lanny

As a judge, it doesn't bother me one way or the other and nor should a judge take dewclaws into account unless a standard specifically mentions them.

As a breeder and owner, we've never removed them from our RR's in over 30 years and we did hunt our dogs in the early days. Our Border Terriers who are imported, have their dew claws and compete in the show ring and in earth dog trials. Our Saluki doesn't have them (done by her breeder). We did remove them from our early whippet litters but now we leave them.

Did purchase one whippet who had a poor job done on removing one of her dew claws so we had to get her redone under GA.

Although I know it can happen and would be painful and terrible if it did happen, in my 30+ years, I've never had a dew claw tear nor have I ever seen one or know of someone who had one tear.

Cheers

Sometime ago I posted this thread showing my pups immediately after they had their dew claws removed. Here is a link to it for those who did not see it.

dewclaws

I used to show Danes with dewclaws and did not find it would go against them in the ring, although i did get lot of criticism from other breeders. The first litter i left them on was because they were born right before Easter and i was not able to get the vet in before it was too late. Her dewclaws were tiny and hardly noticeable and i did not bother with the consecutive litters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
Sometime ago I posted this thread showing my pups immediately after they had their dew claws removed.  Here is a link to it for those who did not see it. 
dewclaws

I used to show Danes with dewclaws and did not find it would go against them in the ring, although i did get lot of criticism from other breeders.  The first litter i left them on was because they were born right before Easter and i was not able to get the vet in before it was too late.  Her dewclaws were tiny and hardly noticeable and i did not bother with the consecutive litters.

thanks everyone for your replies i have talked to my vet about having them removed because i explained i would like to show her he said he doesnt like to do it but he didnt refuse i just wondered if havind her dew claws on when showing the judge may think shes of bad breeding because so many whippet breeders have them now removed after reading your comments i will stay open minded and leave them for now and see how we go in the show ring :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back