The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Size Of Puppies

Laurel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 19 week old girl whippet, Penny, is 17 inches. Is this about the right height for her age? I have no intention of showing her or breeding from her, she is purely a pet and I'll love her whatever her size but I thought I would measure her because people keep coming up to me and asking her age and when I tell them they are all rather shocked she is so young and reckon she is going to be massive. Some people even think she is a greyhound.

The photo of her was taken today and I think she looks just right for her age. I would appreciate other people's opinions and would be very interested to know how tall her brothers and sisters are.

cae2.jpg

She is probably on the tall side Laurel. I would prefer her to be less than that at that age.

but as you said, who cares, you love her, even if she does rip up your toilet paper! :*

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks and sounds OK to me. Who are "some people" anyway?? My reply would be "When I want your opinion I will either ask for it or pay for it, thanks very much." That usually shuts them up!!!

My Callista was the same about that age and she is now, at 15 months, 19". Penny is soooo pretty (I love the solid fawns!) and your bathtub is rather interesting too! :thumbsup:

Lida

She's beautiful :wub: I'm with Dessie, who are some people anyway. As long as you love her :thumbsup: :wub: :thumbsup:

I just managed to meassure my Madelaine, she will be 17 weeks on Monday and she is 16". I am sure she will be Penny's size in two weeks time and I am confident she will end up about 19", like her mum. :thumbsup: I doubt if either one of them will end up a greyhound. :) Lets compare them again in a month time.

Lida

Just tried to measure brother Sparky against the fridge, the measure retracted on itself, fell to the floor, he picked it up took it into the garden and dropped it in the pond. Now I've got to go and buy an new one before OH realises it's missing, but for information he's just up to the mark where the delivery men banged into ithe fridge when they were delivering my new washing machine- average height for a dog puppy I would think!!!!!

Penny is such a poppet.

Jenny

I wish I was as brave as Dessie.

quintessence said:
Just tried to measure brother Sparky against the fridge, the measure retracted on itself, fell to the floor, he picked it up took it into the garden and dropped it in the pond.  Now I've got to go and buy an new one before OH realises it's missing, but for information he's just up to the mark where the delivery men banged into ithe fridge when they were delivering my new washing machine- average height for a dog puppy I would think!!!!!
Penny is such a poppet.

Jenny

Deny all knowledge of the tape measure. heave a long suffering sigh and make a comment like "if only you put things away when you use them". Offer to get him another when you are shopping, Might be worth a few points if you need another Whippet in the future! (w00t) :lol: (w00t)

:lol: Lovely picture of your gorgeous girl. :wub: My dog Oscar is quite tall too at 21-22" and 11 months but I love him to death, and I dont show either so dont worry - some people ask me if Oscar is a cross (w00t) (w00t) and I say No - All Whippet - Pedigree Papers to prove it. :lol: :lol:

quintessence said:
Just tried to measure brother Sparky against the fridge, the measure retracted on itself, fell to the floor, he picked it up took it into the garden and dropped it in the pond.  Now I've got to go and buy an new one before OH realises it's missing, but for information he's just up to the mark where the delivery men banged into ithe fridge when they were delivering my new washing machine- average height for a dog puppy I would think!!!!!
Penny is such a poppet.

Jenny

Maybe sparky was trying to tell you something Jenny :lol: :lol:

Have been thinking about this thread while I was out in the garden today. Beau is tall and I realised that it is probably due to the fact that he has never read the standard :lol: :lol: Guess the only thing to do about it, is love him anyway :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought I had was is it okay to say to people who say "he is too tall" and "you're to fat" (w00t) , or thin, tall, short, bald, hairy etc :- "

Hi . My 2 pups are 22 weeks old and they both(Zorro AND Bramble) are 17 inches. Zorro weighs 19lb and Bramble weighs 20 lbs. Bramble is longer in body and is going to be quite a big bitch but still within the size limits. I must say though that if hare coursing under rules was still allowed, I would be watching her height a little more closely than I actually am!!

Best wishes,

the immeasureable

Lampingman :thumbsup:

Daisy was 17 inch at that same age but her growing seems to have come to a bit of standstill and slowed dramatically since then

kerry0378 said:
Daisy was 17 inch at that same age but her growing seems to have come to a bit of standstill and slowed dramatically since then
I've just weighed Penny and she is 17lbs which is probably about right from what everyone else has said. She really loves eating and if I'm not careful she'll end up very fat, she prefers food to walks even.

My seven year old boy whippet is 22inches, I'm not sure how heavy he is though but he has never put on any fat and has a lovely body. People think he is a greyhound, he looks 100% whippet though.

I think a lot of people are very ignorant and unless they have owned a whippet probably don't know that much about them.

I have made up my mind I am not going to measure my girl until she is fully grown. I suspect she might end up a little on the tall side. Anyway, for once I'm glad you Brits have not yet fully adopted the metric system. Your measurements are almost completely meaningless to me, so I'm not that tempted to compare to my fast-growing Guille :- "

liteportrett.jpg

She is now almost twelve weeks old, and at the vets, she weighed in at 6,3 kilograms. If she ends up over standard size, there will just be more to love, I reckon :wub:

Also, I think whippet puppies grow at different speeds and intervals depending on their breeding etc.

Tesa said:
Another thought I had was is it okay to say to people who say "he is too tall"  and "you're to fat"  (w00t) , or thin, tall, short, bald, hairy etc :- "
I'd pay good money to see that!!! lol

My puppy is 19 ins and 11.5 kilos. he's just over 6 months old :blink: is this huge?

I love :wub: your pup Barmand she is beautiful :thumbsup:

quintessence said:
Just tried to measure brother Sparky against the fridge, the measure retracted on itself, fell to the floor, he picked it up took it into the garden and dropped it in the pond.  Now I've got to go and buy an new one before OH realises it's missing
[SIZE=21pt]LOL![/SIZE]

Not brave, just in the 'Grumpy Old Women' age bracket!!  I can't WAIT to get really old and then I can be as rude to people as I would really like to be!!!

Vicky said:
Tesa said:
Another thought I had was is it okay to say to people who say "he is too tall"  and "you're to fat"  (w00t) , or thin, tall, short, bald, hairy etc :- "
I'd pay good money to see that!!! lol

LOL! So would I, might even try it!!! LOL!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back