The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sleepless Nights

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
well im a push over and mine come to bed with me :b

there are nights they stay downstairs too as to get them used to it and now they are happy either in my bed or in there own :thumbsup:

quote=nbirse,Jul 9 2007, 09:07 PM]All the advice has been great! We will definately try her in our bedroom tonight. Although over time I would prefer her in her own room. Will it be easy to make this transition?

Once she feels safe & settled & is used to you & her surroundings she will sleep anywhere.

My last 3 all started off the same in a pen next to my bed.

They now all have the run of the bedroom & landing of a night, 1 now sleeps on the bottom of my bed, 1 sleeps on a sheepskin rug in the hall, the other in an open pen in the corner of the bedroom, wherever they choose, but equally when we have gone away they will sleep wherever quite happily :thumbsup:

nbirse said:
Hi,
We have a six week old whippet puppy and would be greatful for any advice you can give.

We have a a safe puppy pen next to our bedroom which she can sleep in at night. She sleeps for about 3 hours then cries for us and wakes up every 1-2 hours. 

I know she must be missing her mum and litter but hope you can offer advice on how I can reassure her that she is safe and can rest. I provided a blanket to the breader so that the whippets could all sleep on it before i collected her. Hoping that the scent of her home would settle her but this seems to of not worked.

I poped out today for 1 hour and when coming back I could hear her from outside crying.. Boy she has got some lungs on her :D .

As i say i look forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Neil.

She is missing mum, should still be with her for at least another 2 weeks, but you have her now, and been given good advice , so good luck with her

All my new pups sleep in my bed until they are really settled in, then they are happy to sleep anywhere. Lot easier all around. :)

So bring her in the bedroom with you at night, but keep her out of there during the day. Get her used to the area you want her eventually to sleep in. Keep her toys there etc.

If you let her sleep in your bed you will wake up the moment she starts fidgeting in the morning, take her out immediately to the garden, that will also help with housetraining. If she sleeps in a pen and you do not notice she got up and peed, she is learning it is OK to do it there.

Anyway, there is nothing better than waking up having your little baby puppy snuggled up in your armpit :wub:

Gorgeous blue, by the way, I am looking forward heaps of pix of her growing up. :)

I'm sure she will settle..she is lovely by the way...stunning blue eyes :wub:

She is gorgeous :wub: :wub: Thanks for the lovely piccy :thumbsup:

The advice helped for last night. :D Just need to try and teach her to play on her own a bit while I pop out rather than her crying out for me :(

Leave the radio or tv on just that little bit louder than you would watch it and leave it on a busy channel or station.

Leave some toys with her that she can't destroy easily and a t-shirt that you've worn, the smellier the better (it might smell :x to you but pups get comfort from your smell).

And don't speak to her when you leave her or when first come back home so she learns she's not the centre of attention (although we all know are dogs are).

:huggles:

#What a gorgeous pup :wub: Im sure things will improve...it must be very strange leaving mum and siblings behind. The world must seem huge and scary to them too... :huggles:

I have a crate and used this at the start for my puppies, one is never the same as another...they all have their little quirks.. it will all be a distant memory soon..make the most of puppies when they are tiny... :huggles: :huggles: Good luck :luck:

I suppose it all depends on WHERE you eventually want your whippy to sleep?

Some people are happy to have the in bed with them :- " But all is good advice. :thumbsup: depends on what you want.

phill said:
I suppose it all depends on WHERE you eventually want your whippy to sleep?Some people are happy to have the in bed with them :- "  But all is good advice. :thumbsup:   depends on what you want.

Now Phil you should know by now.....what you want and what you get is totally different with whippets ..... :lol:

nbirse said:
Hi,
We have a six week old whippet puppy and would be greatful for any advice you can give.

We have a a safe puppy pen next to our bedroom which she can sleep in at night. She sleeps for about 3 hours then cries for us and wakes up every 1-2 hours. 

I know she must be missing her mum and litter but hope you can offer advice on how I can reassure her that she is safe and can rest. I provided a blanket to the breader so that the whippets could all sleep on it before i collected her. Hoping that the scent of her home would settle her but this seems to of not worked.

I poped out today for 1 hour and when coming back I could hear her from outside crying.. Boy she has got some lungs on her :D .

As i say i look forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Neil.

Hi Neil your pup is absolutely gorgeous but i really do feel that six weeks is to young to be seperated from her mum, so its to soon to try and get her to sleep on her own, im glad you now bring her into your bedroom thats a must ,the more secure she feels at this stage the more she will have the capability to be more self reliant as she gets older try to go out when you know shes ready for a sleep

Good luck with her, shes a stunner :luck: by the way whats her name?

Rachel

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive had my pup Evie for four weeks now - and what really helped was having a fleece blanket in the crate as well as the normal vetbed. When she went to sleep for the night I snuggled the blanket around her. For some reason my Evie likes to sleep under things and I think that it stopped her getting chilly at night. I also draped another fleece blanket over the crate leaving just a bit of the front exposed. It wasnt a thick blanket - just enough to make her feel a bit more secure. She woke up every couple of hours in the first night, but after then shes slept soundly ever since. Six weeks is still so very young, - your pup has still only been on this planet 42 days - you cant expect too much.

Hows things lately?? any improvements.... :) :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back