The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Some people just shouldn't have dogs...

I don't know how people can be cruel to any animal one of my Facebook friends posted a video a staffie being punched in the head and hit with a bar by three different people videoed by a neighbour it was awful poor thing was howling in pain and not once did it retaliate, should have bitten their hands off evil vile people, they got 14 weeks in jail and no ban from having pets which id have thought would have been automatic

QUOTE, lynyona:

I don't know how people can be cruel to any animal - one of my Facebook friends posted a video, a Staffie being punched in the head & hit with a bar by three different people, videoed by a neighbour.
it was awful - poor thing was howling in pain and not once did s/he retaliate, [the dog] should have bitten their hands off, evil, vile people!
They got 14 weeks in jail and [were not] banned from having pets, which i'd have thought would be automatic.

Sadly, in the U-S, all pitbull-types are many, many times more likely to be abused severely - as in beaten, kicked repeatedly, tortured, etc. :(
Their own human-affiliative nature & stoicism make them unlikely to retaliate, so ppl feel they can "get away with it".

When i lived in Va, there were so many horrifying cases of pitties who'd been attacked, including stabbed, shot with arrows, starved & beaten, burned with ciggies or acid, & one truly-incredible case where the poor dog was partially SKINNED & found walking down the road; they skinned him alive, thought he would surely die, & dumped him alongside the road, shoving him out of the car like a bagful of garbage.
Poor beast, he wagged his tail & got into the car with his Good Samaritan, & went directly to a vet, where he greeted everyone with tongue-swipes & tolerated a lot of painful handling to get him cleaned-up & stitched.

He recovered & was placed with adopters - his attackers were never found or charged. :( I could have a nightmare each night, about dogs i worked with who came with horrific past-histories, & i wouldn't "run out" for a [EDIT] year or two.

- terry

PS: I apologize, I wrote in haste while thinking of the hundreds of dogs i've worked with who came from hoarders, were actively abused, profoundly neglected, or confined for long periods with no stimulation & no company.
Obviously, a "decade" of nightmares each night would be thousands of dogs, not hundreds! :oops: My mistake.

Last edited:

this is an awful story, with a happy ending -

'Blindsided' - "Pit Bulls & Parolees" AnimalPlanet TV-series, S 7 / episode 12

Tia races to save the life of a dog that's been shot; a scared and sick puppy, running loose near heavy traffic, is pursued by Matt and Lizzy; Tia faces an agonizing decision after a home inspection raises red-flags.

Show: Pit Bulls & Parolees
Season number: 7
Episode number: 12
Air date: November 14, 2015

The specific dog I'm thinking of is Curtis, christened for Curtis-50cents, a rapper who was shot & survived - because this dog, a chocolate M Shar-Pei x Lab, was shot in the shoulder & dumped in a swamp to die. // He lay there for days, & gross-out warning the vet-tech had to comb a half-inch thick layer of maggots off his wounds before the vet could visualize the injury. // SAFE, NOW: they laid him on a grid over a sink, & hosed him off while examining him.

shock:

happy:

Curtis is, amazingly, loving & calm - both during & after his treatment, & post-recovery.
the yet-to-be-treated injury to his Rt hind leg is a complete ACL tear - they had to wait for his shoulder to heal B4 fixing his leg. [Of course, he also has heartworm & intestinal parasites, but the gunshot wound to his shoulder that fractured the shoulder blade, & exited below his skull, was their 1st priority.]

- terry

We live in a village that has many dog owners, but there is one that allows their dogs to bark constantly! Their dogs, we assume live outside and bark all day, and sometimes very late at night (sometimes as late as midnight). Annoyingly we live opposite them so we hear it all, even through our thick walls.
I don't know how they haven't been done for noise pollution yet, we ourselves have sent a few complaints and a long email to the noise complaint team.
It's beyond! We see a Collie jumping on the fence barking and there seems to be another dog which we think is chained up as we can hear the chain dragging across the floor.
I feel so sorry for these dogs, they must live outside, we never see them taken for a walk, which they obviously (Collies especially) need! They must be so stressed out and bored, I hope the council goes over and fines them. We've also considered contacting the RSPCA since we don't know if they have access to shelter, beds etc. We don't even want to attempt to go over there to talk to the owners.
I just get so frustrated, what is the point in having dogs if you just leave them outside 24/7 and don't even bother walking them?!?! I don't even believe they sit outside to spend time with them/play with them! :mad::mad::mad:
Some people just shouldn't have dogs!

As other's have said, definitely contact the RSPCA and keep plugging with the council about the noise. I know the RSPCA do wonderful work but if the dogs have shelter, a clean area and clean water there is little they can do. We live on a green with comes complete with a doggy pooh bin but we also have a mature gentleman who, amazingly, picks up after his dog but then throws the pooh bag on to the green or, even worse, into our garden. If he is to damn lazy to go to the pooh bin then leave the pooh, at least it will go into the soil rather than leave the bags everywhere. Beggars belief and, yes, we have contacted the dog warden but they are useless. Only 1 dog fouling penalty ticket given in Middlesbrough in 2017, that's how good our dog warden is.

As other's have said, definitely contact the RSPCA and keep plugging with the council about the noise. I know the RSPCA do wonderful work but if the dogs have shelter, a clean area and clean water there is little they can do. We live on a green with comes complete with a doggy pooh bin but we also have a mature gentleman who, amazingly, picks up after his dog but then throws the pooh bag on to the green or, even worse, into our garden. If he is to damn lazy to go to the pooh bin then leave the pooh, at least it will go into the soil rather than leave the bags everywhere. Beggars belief and, yes, we have contacted the dog warden but they are useless. Only 1 dog fouling penalty ticket given in Middlesbrough in 2017, that's how good our dog warden is.

Oh my gosh, yes that's even worse than not picking up the poop! It's amazing how people feel responsible enough to get a dog but are not prepared to take on the responsibilities that come with them!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back