The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Something Very Weird

J.T.

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I needed a camping chair from up in the loft so Neil went up to get it. I have never once been in our loft in over 20 years incase there are spiders up there (w00t)

Well this is what he found..............................................................

It's enormous and takes up a whole corner. You can see how big it is compared to the joists up there in the roof space. How long it must have taken the wasps to construct it.

In close up it looks like a giant meringue :eek: .

We've had the odd wasp coming into the bathroom which is directly below but had no idea all this was happening up there.

Not too sure what to do about it, it's far too brilliant to destroy and they havn't bothered us at all so I guess it'll just stay there till it falls apart.

loft_005.jpg

loft_004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredible structure, all made by wasps. Is it still active?

OMG!!!!!! ITS A BIG'UN ! WOULDN'T FANCY ONE OF THOSE IN MY LOFT.

Incredible structure, all made by wasps. Is it still active?
I don't think so, there was no sign of the little stripey ones there. Neil is allergic to wasp stings so it's just as well really :eek: Good job they didn't all come swarming out when he opened the loft door. It's amazing really, all made of chewed up wood & wasp spit :x

Am I right in thinking that they don't return to the same nest the next year?

That is massive! They are incredible, even though I must admit I'm one of those people who flaps when a wasp comes near. I also heard they don't come back to the same nest. We had one near our shed last year, in a turf stack - we didn't disturb the nest and no signs of them nesting this year :)

uuuuurghhhhhhh, thats giving me the creeps! if i had that in my loft, given thats where i keep most of my books, i'd cry!

I wouldn't have liked to have been anywere near if that lot had swarmed.

A girl at work with a rather large bust had a wasp fly down her cleavidge yesterday. She ran into the ladies wash room pull of her dress and managed to remove a rather breathless wasp from between her bust. The to her embarssement realised she had not sut the door and the lads we work with tend to use the kettle in our washroom. Fortunately none of them chose that moment to walk through the door :b The poor wasp didn't survive and ended up in the bin :lol: :lol: We didn't laugh when she told us honest :lol:

Hornets nest, we had one in our loft....had to have it removed.

Hornets are much bigger than your average wasp and quite nasty, i'd get it removed asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mum had a nest in her attic and they returned the next year to make another about 2 inches away from the first nest they had made the previous year :rant:

Gosh that is a big nest.....hope the wasps have left... (w00t)

Gosh that is a big nest.....hope the wasps have left... (w00t)

Look carefully at the 2nd pic - Can you see that gigantic leg sticking through?

It's working it's way out - just like Alien. :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't have liked to have been anywere near if that lot had swarmed.

A girl at work with a rather large bust had a wasp fly down her cleavidge yesterday. She ran into the ladies wash room pull of her dress and managed to remove a rather breathless wasp from between her bust. The to her embarssement realised she had not sut the door and the lads we work with tend to use the kettle in our washroom. Fortunately none of them chose that moment to walk through the door :b The poor wasp didn't survive and ended up in the bin :lol: :lol: We didn't laugh when she told us honest :lol:

:eek: I wouldn't have laughed either :lol: :lol:

Good job it didn't sting her, oooh that would hurt (w00t)

Look carefully at the 2nd pic - Can you see that gigantic leg sticking through?It's working it's way out - just like Alien. :eek: :eek:

Yeah, I thought Neil was taking a long time getting that chair for me :lol:

Well if he's not back down with it soon I'll have to........................................................

Go & buy another camping chair :-

you need to get pest control to remove it.

We had a big nest removed when we moved in 22 yrs ago, the wasps STILL make a 'beeline' for the roof (even tho' OH filled in the tiny hole between tiles where they were entering.)

They smoke the nest to make them drowsy so the won't sting then scrape the nest away.

Imagine if you annoyed all them.....trouble :eek:

I hate wasps, once bit into a apple only to find a wasp inside (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back