The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Sophie Is Missing !

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
GREAT, how nice to read a happy ending, good men for looking after her so well, must have been so awful for you ( I bet Soph was a bit worried too!)

get one of those trackers they have in James Bond films so you can know where she is :thumbsup:

OMG,i've only just seen this(been away for a few days),thank god she's home safe & sound,i dread to think what you must have been going through :huggles:

So glad she home and safe :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What a relief for you :huggles: :huggles:

(w00t) I have only just vread this - how awful for you all. Just brilliant that the 'princess of bling' is back where she belongs after her adventure :huggles:

What a relief! Good job there's some people out there who care enough to help a dog in need :thumbsup:

Deb said:
Just brilliant that the 'princess of bling' is back where she belongs after her adventure  :huggles:

Not now she isn't!!! LOL!! Wendy wanted me to take that collar when I had Sophie. NO WAY!!!! (w00t)

She has a very nice leopard print one now!! :thumbsup: :p :lol:

Thanks to her lucky stars and that lovely man, she is home and safe once again.

I only hope now that she doesn't think she can go wandering off whenever she wants and someone gorgeous will pick her up, take her home, feed her chicken and let her sleep in their bed until mother comes to collect her.

I would be keeping her on one of those extender leads.....but that's me. My dogs don't go free outside their own yard. (That's why we have big yards in Oz.)

Perhaps you could always go out with a pocketful of chicken Caroline and keep calling her back to you for a smidge of it every now and then, and hopefully she wouldn't drift away? But I suppose chasing bunnies would be more tempting than a pocket full of treats.

OMG !!! I've only just seen this .....I'm so glad Sophies back home, safe and sound :sweating: .......

Blimey, what an amazing story - Sophie is one lucky dog to be back home safe with you!! :thumbsup: :huggles:

aslan said:
I only hope now that she doesn't think she can go wandering off whenever she wants and someone gorgeous will pick her up, take her home, feed her chicken and let her sleep in their bed until mother comes to collect her.

I would be keeping her on one of those extender leads.....but that's me.  My dogs don't go free outside their own yard.  (That's why we have big yards in Oz.)

Perhaps you could always go out with a pocketful of chicken Caroline and keep calling her back to you for a smidge of it every now and then, and hopefully she wouldn't drift away?  But I suppose chasing bunnies would be more tempting than a pocket full of treats.

Yes, she certainly had a guardian angel with her but she is not actually a wanderer and no worse than the others for going off hunting. I always carry treats for when I need them to come back and she is quite responsive. Her problem seems to be that she is not very bright when it comes to knowing where I am, which way I am going, which way she should be going and, if I can't find them perhaps I should head for home ............... which way is home again??? Also, although she is closely related, because she is a 'newcomer' and didn't join us until she was a junior she still behaves like an outsider rather whereas the others stick together more as a family so I am now never quite sure if Sophie is with them or doing her own thing.

I'm afraid I just could not take her out on a flexi-lead because it is not her fault she is a numpty and I like my dog to free run, I am just going to take precautions that I do a head count more often, getting a bell to put on her collar, a new disc with my mobile tel number on it (that was the mistake made by the people who picked her up, read 0118 as 0778 because what the eye saw, the brain interpeted differently as everyone expects telephone numbers to be mobiles these days) and I am arranging to have her tattooed. Failing all that, I will have to attach her to either Bertha or Rupert who have their moments of going AWOL but ALWAYS know where I am. Perhaps Bertha, coming to think of it, because she would never go to anyone else!

dessie said:
aslan said:

I would be keeping her on one of those extender leads.....but that's me.  My dogs don't go free outside their own yard.  (That's why we have big yards in Oz.)

Perhaps you could always go out with a pocketful of chicken Caroline and keep calling her back to you for a smidge of it every now and then, and hopefully she wouldn't drift away?  But I suppose chasing bunnies would be more tempting than a pocket full of treats.

Yes, she certainly had a guardian angel with her but she is not actually a wanderer and no worse than the others for going off hunting. I always carry treats for when I need them to come back and she is quite responsive. Her problem seems to be that she is not very bright when it comes to knowing where I am, which way I am going, which way she should be going and, if I can't find them perhaps I should head for home ............... which way is home again??? Also, although she is closely related, because she is a 'newcomer' and didn't join us until she was a junior she still behaves like an outsider rather whereas the others stick together more as a family so I am now never quite sure if Sophie is with them or doing her own thing.

I'm afraid I just could not take her out on a flexi-lead because it is not her fault she is a numpty and I like my dog to free run, I am just going to take precautions that I do a head count more often, getting a bell to put on her collar, a new disc with my mobile tel number on it (that was the mistake made by the people who picked her up, read 0118 as 0778 because what the eye saw, the brain interpeted differently as everyone expects telephone numbers to be mobiles these days) and I am arranging to have her tattooed. Failing all that, I will have to attach her to either Bertha or Rupert who have their moments of going AWOL but ALWAYS know where I am. Perhaps Bertha, coming to think of it, because she would never go to anyone else!

I had a little girl who was the love of my life - she went walk about- due to no fault of her own - and in seeking her out I broke my leg in two places and ended up

in an unable condition for 2 months - but I found her quickly, because a well wisher recognised her as a little dog she had seen at my window where she was awaiting my return from work daily, and returned her to me. This was good news as I flately refused to go to the hospital before we found her.

She was put in the car and did accompany me to the hospital, bless her -

Do we not all love our Whippets more than ourselves?

XX :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you had a happy outcome. Well done Tracy & Wendy for helping out too. How fortunate that very nice man spotted her before someone else did :sweating: we picked up a little terrier cross that was wandering around in the traffic a couple of years a go but when we eventually found the owner, they just took him off us and never said a word :( It always amazes me the number of people who will see a dog wandering around like that, obviously lost, and just drive round it.

Judy said:
So glad you had a happy outcome. Well done Tracy & Wendy for helping out too. How fortunate that very nice man spotted her before someone else did  :sweating:   we picked up a little terrier cross that was wandering around in the traffic a couple of years a go but when we eventually found the owner, they just took him off us and never said a word  :(   It always amazes me the number of people who will see a dog wandering around like that, obviously lost, and just drive round it.
Some people eh :angry: why no Thank you..at the least :angry:

I can remember when I had Chip he once got out, and we were frantically looking for him....

later on that day a Large 4x4 pulled up at our door and a bemused Chip sitting high in the back :- " the lady had picked him up in our Market place and hed been narrowly missed being bumped by a car too... :( she was an angel to me... :huggles:

I couldnt thank them enough...

and even offered them money for bringing him home...which they wouldnt take

the poor lady has died of cancer since...and I often think of her kindness that day. :))

I know that feeling of sheer relief and I am sure Caroline will too.... :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
clardia said:
I had a little girl who was the  love of my life - she went walk about- due to no fault of her own - and in seeking her out I broke my leg in two places and ended upin an unable condition for 2 months - but  I found her quickly, because a well wisher recognised her as a little dog she had seen at my window where she was awaiting my return from work daily, and returned her to me.  This was good news as I flately refused to go to the hospital before we found her.

She was put in the car and did accompany me to the hospital, bless her -

Do we not all love our Whippets more than ourselves?  XX :wub:

What a lovely tale. I think the majority of us on K9 certainly love our Whippets more than ourselves but having watched the RSPCA programme last night I nearly broke my heart over the poor little Whippet that died in a car at the Royal Show ............... left for over 5 hours. The member of the public who reported it was actually there and poked a note through the window. I'm sorry but if that had been me, to hell with whether it was legal or not, I would have risked prosecution to save that poor little dog. Of course, by the time the stupid RSPCA rocked up the Whippie was dead. Absolutely shameful and I just can't get it out of my mind.

Surely the Royal Show must take some responsibility, if they won't allow dogs into the showground then they should turn away people who arrive with them in their cars.

Janimal said:
I couldnt thank them enough...and even offered them money for bringing him home...which they wouldnt take

the poor lady has died of cancer since...and I often think of her kindness that day. :))

I know that feeling of sheer relief  and I am sure Caroline will too.... :huggles:

Relief! I should say so! I told Keith when he rang after the Police gave him my number that I could kiss him!!! Poor chap! No wonder he stood on the other side of the room when I arrived! :eek: LOL!

I also tried to offer them money as words of thanks just don't seem to be adequate but they said they would be offended if I left any. Luckily one of my colleagues at work lives very near so I am going to get him to drop off some wine & chocs.

It really restores your faith in human nature doesnt it.

This just all reminded me of a few years ago i found a king charles cavalier wandering on a busy T junction narrowly being missed by traffic. I picked him up and knocked at various houses nearby but nobody knew him.

I tried ringing the number on his collar, to no avail. He was a friendly chap and i popped him in my car and took him 5 miles home, my two whippies thought OH GOD!! Not another one, my son fell in love and wanted to keep him :unsure: . I phoned all day and into the evening no reply.

Eventually a lady answered and i told her of finding him in the middle of the road and how id tried to find out where he lived etc, and that wed taken him home and looked after and fussed over him.

She said her son had left the back door open when he went out and the dog had wandered

away she didnt know until she got home from work and i phoned her!!!

She asked me to bring him back to her as she had no transport!! I did and handed the dog over my son at this point was upst as he had become quite attached to the little chap :(

The lady took the dog from my arms said thankyou and shut the door :unsure:

I was upset that i had wasted the whole of my day and petrol for someone who didnt seem to be that bothered, but i would do the same again.

Maybe she was embarrassed that she had lost him in the first place?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back