The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Spaying

nicky12

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
can some of you give me some advise on what sort of after care poppy is guna need tomoz after her spaying ,and anybody know how long it takes the vet to do so i can judge roughly how long shel be at vets for ,im really worried about her having this done because of the risks with her heart ext but my vet has said its best to be doing this than be trying to sort out other things like pyrometer and cancer and stuff like that when shes older :( im a neverouse wreck already and wev got another day to go yet :( :sweating:

all my greyhounds are done and we have had 30= foster bitches here thats hve been done while staying with us with no real problems. the op takes a few minet but they will keep her in for a few hours to make sure she comes round from the anathetic ok. some come out jumping about like loonys and others are quiet and sleepy for a few days the quiet ones are easyer as you wnat to keep them carm for the first couple of days at least. keep her on lead at least 10 days and wait till her stiches are out I usul keep them on lead 3 weeks o be safe and then gently increase there excersies off lead. she will be abell to have short lead walk withing a day or 2 if shes up to it.

I have only even had 2 bitches here with any problems with there scars and that was caoued by over licking it so a lampshade coller sorted that out. she may not east the firts evening but if she wants to give her somthing smile and light as the anathetic might make her a bit sick for 24 hours. the main thing is stay carm becoues if your stressed she will pick up on it I know its hard to do but its the best thing.

wendy

ahh thanks wendy ,did any of your foster or other dogs have grade 3 heart murmer both side ,if so did they have any probs? poppy is 8 in november and has grade 3 heart murmer both sides which is why im so worried about it all :sweating:

Do try to stay calm nicky or poppy will pick up from you that there is something to be worried about - anaesthetics are a lot safer than they used to be and poppy is having her bloods tested prior to her op to check all perameters are within range of safety for her to cope with an anaesthetic to begin with.

i know as a vet nurse how much supervision a dog with heart problems has during its op and whilst in recovery.

she will be in very good hands and even more so when you get her home im sure and she can look forward to a long life ahead with you spoiling her rotten.

you are doing all you can to prevent her from having mammary tumours or a pyometra in the future and she will relieved of ever having to have more babies - shes done enough hasnt she bless her!

show her you are confident about doing your best for her tomorrow ..... :cheers:

Nicky, its horrible to let go of your baby and give the care to somebody else, it really is true that your life is in their hands - but they are the experts and at least they know all about Poppy's heart problems before they start. My Rosie was in RVC for a week last August and handing them over is awful, but you have to trust them and I know that with my daughter working part-time at the vets these people really care for each of them and many of the vets have their own dogs and are very passionate about the outcome. Poppy sounds like a real gutsy lady and her spirit will see her through :D its us with the problem but then I think thats the price of being a mother :( :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: to you and Poppy

Kathy

Lots of rest, try and keep your other dogs away from her, she will just want to sleep and may feel a bit sick. Any of the fosters I have had done I dropped them in in the morning then had to wait till 5 to pick them up. In a couple of days she will start to perk up a bit. I know its hard but try not to worry :huggles: Good luck :luck:

im sure poppy will be fine nicky, although i know it wont stop you worrying :huggles:

theres been quiet a few with hart mummers some epaleptic older bitches allsorts were spayed no probelm. it will take her a bit longer to get over it but it does with everyone as they get older abut with all her tests first she will be fine its a very routin op for vets.

thanks for all the replie ooo god dun think my heart can take this :sweating: my tia is guna go in hopfully in the next week or to aswell but she well and fit so hopfully itl be a breeze for her :huggles:

hi nicky just to let you knw we got phoebe speyed on the 9th of this month and she had her stitches out today yipeeeeeeeee.......all i can say is stay calm easier said than done but its the best thing for tia we dropped phoebe off at 9am the vet allowed us to stay while she was given pre-med we chatted to hr as normal nice calm and happy she was fine!!! when we left obviously i cried my eyes out lol wimp that i am and we then spent the day by the phone the vet sad to call at 4pm so we did at 3.59 lol phoebe was fine and we picked her up at 5pm i was dreading it expecting her to be a right state but she trotted out the vets had a wee and we put her in car and she slept on way home........she didnt eat first night just slept on and off and drank water but since day 2 she has eaten like a pig!!! and i have 2 admit piled on the pounds we let her stroll aroundgardenfor 2 days then the rest has been gentle lead walking by a week she was dying to get off the lead but we didnt want to risk anything today like i say she had her stitches out took all of 2 seconds and the vet noticed the weigh gain so back to freedom off lead and my god she is loving it she has rolled in fox poo dog poo and horse crap with in half our of being off lead and its as if shes not had anything done....it is so much worse for us than it is them stay calm as poss and im sure tia will sail through it.......now we have 2 put phoebe on a diet (w00t) .........wish well and love 2 tia and poppy.xxxxx

Nothing really to add except that Pheobs was absolutely fine and also came trotting out of the vets but then didn't move all evening and all night except for a wee and a tiny bit of dinner :) . Vet advised wet food for first couple of meals as easier to digest and gives back a little fluid, also warned me that anesthetic shuts down the system so would probably be 24 hours before she had a no. 2 :p . Keeping them quiet is the trick and also not letting her jump - on or off furniture or in and out of car etc. :luck: for tomorrow. Let us know when she is home :thumbsup:

When we had tilly done i was so scared and didnt want to let her go

She was fine, although i wasnt allowed to pick her up at 2.30 i had to wait till 5 as she was still woozy

She came home and acted quite drunk, all she did was sleep, she didnt eat anything at all....

She was much better the next day, we only lead walked for a while

Nicky you have done so much for Poppy so far, she's great. I know it's easy to say but don't worry.... we are all with you & thinking of you :luck: :thumbsup: :wub:

good luck to poppy for today :luck: try and keep busy nicky then the day might go a little quicker for you :huggles:

:luck: :luck: Good luck for today Poppy & Nicky :huggles:

Good luck at the vets today Nicky and Poppy, :luck: sorry havent any advice but all the advice given sounds great anyway :thumbsup:

:( aww god guys tell me im doing the right thing here im breaking my heart as i wright this she goes to vets in 10mins im terrified she wont come back out :( :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nicky, We are all here for you today, there's bound to be someone on K9 all day (probably me if the shop is quiet). Just come on and have a natter. Everything will be fine.

Jenny

nicky good luck, i think your doing the best thing for poppy and your lot, remembers tias season, and what you went through :huggles:

im sure that she will be in the best of hands.

sending lots of :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

and :huggles: :huggles: :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back