The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Special times with your dog.

Biker John

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just wondering if others have a special time. For me, in a morning I get up put my dressing gown and slippers on, come down and let Folly out in the garden. Brew a mug of tea, get the paper from the front door and sit in a comfy chair. Folly jumps up, we have a couple of mins fussing then she settles down next to me with her head on my leg. I then have around half an hour sipping my tea and reading the paper. For me that time is special, so much so that on the odd occassion I have to be up early I set the alarm earlier than required just so I can still have it.

OK I love just having her in my life in general, but that half hour is extra special.

Aww that’s so lovely :rolleyes: we do much the same in the mornings, couple of treats for the girls, cup of coffee ...then they both come for a cuddle :D then they know when it’s 8am and walkies ! :)

We have evening cuddles which are lovely but I also really enjoy the greeting I get in the mornings. Timber does a big happy dance with full body wagging and it makes me feel really appreciated.

I think my best time is after we get home from Jimmy's early walk at about 06.20 - 06.30. Previously, at weekends I'd go back to bed and Jimmy would jump up and get comfortable in a playful manner, snuffling around on the bed, then we'd go to sleep for a couple of hours! As I'm not working at the moment, each day is like a previous weekend, so extra time in bed with the Jimster! :)

Anytime I sit in an armchair or on the sofa Misty jumps up and we have a cuddle before she falls asleep on my lap. This is always special to me as she won’t sit on anyone else, not even my OH; makes me feel like we have a special bond ;)

Mine is post breakfast . Harri is not a morning dog himself and I'm not a morning person (5am walk - seriously Violet? Not sure that time even exists!!) so he lets me have breakfast then about 9 once he's decided I've done enough work on the laptop he'll start nudging my hands with a cold wet nose til he gets a game or preferably a walk. He does make me laugh. He's not the cuddly sort at all

Mine is post breakfast . Harri is not a morning dog himself and I'm not a morning person (5am walk - seriously Violet? Not sure that time even exists!!) so he lets me have breakfast then about 9 once he's decided I've done enough work on the laptop he'll start nudging my hands with a cold wet nose til he gets a game or preferably a walk. He does make me laugh. He's not the cuddly sort at all
Yep 5am, i walk her for 2 hours in a morning and 2 hours at night depending on the day.

Eddi is not very cuddly. The best moments are when he sits next to me on the carpet. He sort of swings round and aims to lean into my leg. He'll sit there for about 15 minutes leaning into me. I think I'm bonding with him, this behaviour has only happened in the last 3-4 weeks, more often though, he's quite aloof and I think he can take me or leave me.:(

@doggie1 Jasper's not very cuddly either. He will sometimes just stand with his head leaning against my leg and this, to him, is a 'big love' and means as much as another dog's full-body contact. He will also stand in front of me with his nose in my groin and deeply sigh as I give him an ear-rub. Again, this is deep affection, and is a 'special' moment.

I have a couple of friends who are adapting to their saluki x lurchers 'aloofness'. It's taking time, but they are beginning to realise that his attachment to them is just as strong as that of the Staffie and spaniel they had before him. You and Eddi will develop a bond that's much stronger than many because you have needed to put more effort into learning what goes on in that brain of his;)

@doggie1 Jasper's not very cuddly either. He will sometimes just stand with his head leaning against my leg and this, to him, is a 'big love' and means as much as another dog's full-body contact. He will also stand in front of me with his nose in my groin and deeply sigh as I give him an ear-rub. Again, this is deep affection, and is a 'special' moment.

I have a couple of friends who are adapting to their saluki x lurchers 'aloofness'. It's taking time, but they are beginning to realise that his attachment to them is just as strong as that of the Staffie and spaniel they had before him. You and Eddi will develop a bond that's much stronger than many because you have needed to put more effort into learning what goes on in that brain of his;)
I hope so, it would be good to get through to him on walks a bit more. That said, he is much better and does sometimes 'check in.'

Anther cute (or annoying depending on mood an circumstance) thing he does now is throwing his Kong toys or his ball at us to play with or to be filled. He never used to do that before.

Last edited:
Some lovely posts here :)

For me, every walk is special time with Roxy, especially when she's panting and looks up at me, it looks like she's smiling and always gives me a surge of happiness seeing her enjoying herself. Even more special are the walks where I drive her to the beach or an open space and I let her off lead and she has a mad dash around :) Trick training sessions are always special bonding times too :)

Last edited:
Actually, I like playing ball with Eddi in the yard at the side of the house. He can run off his lead and he sort of brings it back. My other dog would never pay like that.

I'm going to update my answer. Those who follow Harri's diary will know he had a rough night Monday after a vet visit so I had him sleeping on my bed with me which has never been allowed before. I woke up a couple of times to find him just lying there next to me gazing at my face. It was lovely. I reached over and scratched behind his ears and he just rolled over and went back to sleep.

Aww that’s so lovely :rolleyes: we do much the same in the mornings, couple of treats for the girls, cup of coffee ...then they both come for a cuddle :D then they know when it’s 8am and walkies ! :)
8am? We don't go out until 9. But five minutes after that he goes to the door and gives me 'that look in case I have forgotten walk time

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back